Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: House IPA search, round three  (Read 8011 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
House IPA search, round three
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:09:19 pm »
Getting closer to what I want. #2 turned out very similar to Mirror Pond but more body and bite. I'm bumping the bitter  hops tomorrow and changing from cascade for late addition

IPA Try #3
9# Washington select
2# Munich
1# crystal 10
154° mash
2oz Simcoe FWH
1oz Amarillo 10min
1oz Mosaic 10min
WY1056 restarted 67°

1oz Amarillo 2oz Mosaic dry hop 6 days in keg

coastsidemike

Re: House IPA search, round three
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »
That looks really, really tasty.  Mind if I ask why 1# of crystal 10 - color, flavor?  Mosaic is crazy good; the hop schedule as is looks great.

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:58 am »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish (BeerSmith using Tinseth) and while I personally think that's pretty high, I could still see a little more bitterness as being welcome in my IPAs.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:43 am »
i love your hop profile.  i don't see you you could possibly go wrong.

btw, i have your bottle.  i'll be sending it along soon.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:10 am »
That looks like it will be a tasty brew. 

Is there a certain IPA that you are trying get close to?  Or are you going for one you will call your own?

I have recently started investigating the IPA trail here as well and have been sampling as many different ones my local liquor store has and also look anything different when traveling to different parts of the country.  West coast, midwest, east coast.  Quite the variance and ALL good.  It's not so easy picking one favorite.

Time for some small batch experimentation......
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:41:48 am »
@ klickitat jim - What is your typical BU/GU on your IPAs? Do you use that ratio to track the movement of the bitterness up or down, or do you just add hops until it tastes right? Mine are right around 1.200-ish (BeerSmith using Tinseth) and while I personally think that's pretty high, I could still see a little more bitterness as being welcome in my IPAs.

If you have a BU:GU ratio that high and your still looking for a little more bitterness you could try bumping your sulfate up way way high. like 250-300ppm
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:48:13 am »
That looks really, really tasty.  Mind if I ask why 1# of crystal 10 - color, flavor?  Mosaic is crazy good; the hop schedule as is looks great.

Good question, I like the taste of it. It might be getting lost behind the Munich but oh well.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:09 am »
That looks like it will be a tasty brew. 

Is there a certain IPA that you are trying get close to?  Or are you going for one you will call your own?

I have recently started investigating the IPA trail here as well and have been sampling as many different ones my local liquor store has and also look anything different when traveling to different parts of the country.  West coast, midwest, east coast.  Quite the variance and ALL good.  It's not so easy picking one favorite.

Time for some small batch experimentation......

Not trying to clone per se, just design my own house recipe. I'll still be playing around but I want good IPA, APA, and Blonde recipes that are worth repeating.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:12 am »

I note the target OG and ibu but I brew by taste. I'm not into water fixes but mort is probably spot on for you.

BTW I calculate my FWH as a 20 minute. Read that somewhere once, but no doubt it's debatable.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:07:31 am »
i love your hop profile.  i don't see you you could possibly go wrong.

btw, i have your bottle.  i'll be sending it along soon.

No rush but cool, thanks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:10:53 am »
Mosaic is crazy good; the hop schedule as is looks great.

Ya, I bought a pound and a half of mosaic pellets anticipating that I am approaching IPA nirvana

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:18 am »
Not trying to clone per se, just design my own house recipe. I'll still be playing around but I want good IPA, APA, and Blonde recipes that are worth repeating.

Here, here on that.  "Inspired by" brewing.  Very nice.
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:49 am »

If you have a BU:GU ratio that high and your still looking for a little more bitterness you could try bumping your sulfate up way way high. like 250-300ppm

THIS^^^^  Try it the easy empirical way to see if you like it...add 1-2 tsp. of gypsum to the kettle.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:40:25 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 10:01:41 am »
I'm bumping the bitter  hops tomorrow and changing from cascade for late addition

What about the beer are you trying to change from the last batch?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:24 am »
I'm bumping the bitter  hops tomorrow and changing from cascade for late addition

What about the beer are you trying to change from the last batch?

The last batch had plenty of malt so I cut from 3# Munich to 2. It was too common on hop flavor aroma so I dropped the cascade and went Amarillo mosaic. Bitter was getting close so I added a half oz of Simcoe
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:28:17 am by klickitat jim »