Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing beer in a corny  (Read 8217 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Storing beer in a corny
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:57 am »
Ok, I'm very new to kegging and actually haven't used a corny yet. So I have a mine question. I don't have my keezer set up... Still lacking the perfect freezer (7.5 cubic foot are hard to find). But I plan brewing a winter warmer pretty soon, and I want to store/age it in the keg. My question is, do I want to prime it before storing, or wait until it's time to serve it?

Thanks!
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Storing beer in a corny
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
I'm a total noob at this keg thing as well so take this for what it's worth and I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

If by prime you mean naturally carb and condition you would first purge the keg with CO2, then rack over 1/3 less the amount of priming sugar you would use for bottling. Once racked, seat the lid with about 20psi of CO2 and clamp it down.

In this state the keg can sit indefinitely. If not naturally carbing, you want the beer at serving temp, force carb it and again it can sit, I believe.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:47:45 am »
If you naturally carb in keg then now is fine. You will need it to be cold to force carb it.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 08:51:48 am »
Sorry. I will be force carbing. So I keg it now, I put it in the keezer and get it to serving temp in December, andd then carb?
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:33 am »

Sorry. I will be force carbing. So I keg it now, I put it in the keezer and get it to serving temp in December, andd then carb?

Correct, just be sure to purge the keg with CO2 to remove any traces if O2
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:21:44 am »

That's another question. Does that happen before adding beer? After? Or both?
Frank

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:26:53 am »
I used to shoot my kegs with 10lbs of CO2 just to prevent oxidation or any infections then leave em sit until ready to put in the kegerator. But lately I have been adding 2oz of sugar then shooting with 10lbs of CO2 before storing them. That way as soon as I have them chilled they are ready to serve.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:32:19 am »

Actually, you can carb it now of you want to, and you can even carb it warm.  I do that 99% of the time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:47 am »

I do it after.  I assume the beer will push out any air that's in there so all I need to do is purge the headspace.  Even if that assumption is wrong, I don't suffer from oxidation so the process must be OK.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:27 am »

Actually, you can carb it now of you want to, and you can even carb it warm.  I do that 99% of the time.

Makes sense. I serve out of a sanke now. I usually run 8-9 psi cold, so I would assume that would be an ok amount for long term storage warm since cold absorbs more CO2, so they won't be over-carbed.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

I do it after.  I assume the beer will push out any air that's in there so all I need to do is purge the headspace.  Even if that assumption is wrong, I don't suffer from oxidation so the process must be OK.

This also makes sense. I would think this would be good enough but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 10:22:17 am »

+1.  Same here.  I purge with CO2 before for hoppy beers to help preserve hop aromas and then after filling the keg, but otherwise I do it after.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
If you won't be serving it until winter and you won't be refrigerating the keg, then it would make sense to prime it with some sugar to cut down on oxidation.  Add sugar and enough pressure to seal the keg and check it occasionally for carbonation.  The fermentation will scavenge the O2 while it carbonates.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »
If you won't be serving it until winter and you won't be refrigerating the keg, then it would make sense to prime it with some sugar to cut down on oxidation.  Add sugar and enough pressure to seal the keg and check it occasionally for carbonation.  The fermentation will scavenge the O2 while it carbonates.

I could be wrong, but do you really need to add sugar to cut down on oxidation.  If you rack to the keg then purge w/ CO2 then there shouldn't be any worries regarding oxidation right?  I just put a winter warmer in a keg to age for the first time and did it this way w/out any sugar.  I'll put it in the fridge and force carb in December.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »

Same here, especially since serving temps for a few of the beers I regularly is 55-60°F.  So you can definitely force carb at room or cellar temps...it may take longer (if you don't to the "pressurize and shake" thing), but it does work.
I actually prefer it to 'natural' carbing.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971