Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanks Denny  (Read 9719 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Thanks Denny
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:23:02 pm »
Unfortunately for me, I learned all the bad brewing practices on my own before I even heard of Denny, so I don't have a blue cooler or any other color cooler for that matter.  I'm stuck doing fly sparges on a modified SABCO system.  If I had only known.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 04:06:51 pm »
I fly sparged for years and, after finding a link to the Cheap n Easy site through one of the forums, found out about batch sparging .  I was blown away by the common sense simplicity of the process.  I bought the mandatory blue Extreme and never looked back.  If Cheap n Easy had been around when I started brewing ('92ish) I think I wouldn't have wasted the first few batches on extract with grains. What literature there was in the day almost discouraged or tried to intimidate people from going AG.  Denny did just the opposite - he cut through the BS and showed you how easy it is.
Jon H.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »
Not only is Denny a fount of wisdom, but he epitomizes the best of the homebrewing community. I started homebrewing back in '09 when I was a "fish out of water" in a part of the country that just wasn't a good fit for me and my better half. I found myself welcomed by the members of the local homebrew club (and also the awesome LHBS). No matter what else you believed, you were welcome if you believed "malted barley wants to become beer." Now in NorCal I occasionally rub elbows with plaid-clad hipster homebrewers, and you know, they're cool folk too (though not really any cooler!). But people like Denny are thought leaders, and his warm welcome to all who practice the hallowed zymurgical arts, and his generous and kind nature, set the pace for everyone else.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 08:54:35 pm »
Unfortunately for me, I learned all the bad brewing practices on my own before I even heard of Denny, so I don't have a blue cooler or any other color cooler for that matter.  I'm stuck doing fly sparges on a modified SABCO system.  If I had only known.

Yeah, if only....:)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline djt17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:39 pm »
Since I am by nature frugal, (wife calls me cheap); a few years ago when I Googled "cheap all grain brewing" Denny's page was one of the first entries. He has been relegated to the second page now, I suspect from all those 'late to the party'.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 03:31:55 pm »
Since I am by nature frugal, (wife calls me cheap); a few years ago when I Googled "cheap all grain brewing" Denny's page was one of the first entries. He has been relegated to the second page now, I suspect from all those 'late to the party'.

There must be a web guru on the forum who can help Denny with his Google Ranking Foo.  His site really should be on the first page.

On a more serious note Denny's site is what made all grain seem possible for me.  Like was mentioned earlier all the books and online sites made all grain seem like climbing Mt. Everest it a windbreaker and a ball cap.  Way too hard for a mere mortal to achieve.  Thanks for making it easy Denny.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

I think BIAB is the "new wave" of getting into all-grain on the cheap, so that may explain some of that. Still, big props to Denny and everyone else 'round these parts for being so helpful and accessible to the homebrew community.

I've been brewing for just under 2 years, and I've certainly gone through my growing pains. I've brewed my fair share of dumper batches, and I continue to do so from time to time. But I have been growing by leaps and bounds as a brewer since before I even brewed my first batch, and it's because of brewers like Denny who have done the hard work and are so open with sharing their knowledge. I hope to continue paying it forward. The attitude of "this is what works for me, but try it out for yourself" that pervades the homebrew community is what really helps keep this hobby from stagnating.

"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »
He is even a good guy in person!

See you next year in Grand Rapids, Denny.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:16 am »
He is even a good guy in person!

See you next year in Grand Rapids, Denny.

Looking forward to it, Jeff!  My biggest regret in missing NHC last summer was all the friends I didn't get to see!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
Tip of the hat to the "old" man!  I won a blue ribbon at the Delaware State Fair this year with a modified version of your BVIP.  I have borrowed (stolen admirably?) more than a few of your ideas.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
Yup...Thanks Denny for everything. Especially for helping keep our forum the best of it's kind! :)
Ron Price

Offline aveteto01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 11:26:54 am »
Like many, I have Mr Palmer and Mr Conn to thank for my "expertise". Recently I've been refining my mash and sparge techniques. Someone had planted the thought that frequently stirring would increase efficiency. Seemed to make sense. Then Denny suggested the max fun, max quality, max effective way of only stirring at dough in. By golly, it's true. My last brew was an IPA, 12# Washington Select, 1 1/2# Munich, 1 1/2# crystal 40, mashed in 6 gallons at 154° for 90 min. Vorlauff was beautiful with maybe three little grain chunks coming through. Efficiency was 80%, which it 10 higher than I usually get.

Thanks Denny

How would you approach this method for a step mash? Only stir when adding water?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 11:38:25 am »
Like many, I have Mr Palmer and Mr Conn to thank for my "expertise". Recently I've been refining my mash and sparge techniques. Someone had planted the thought that frequently stirring would increase efficiency. Seemed to make sense. Then Denny suggested the max fun, max quality, max effective way of only stirring at dough in. By golly, it's true. My last brew was an IPA, 12# Washington Select, 1 1/2# Munich, 1 1/2# crystal 40, mashed in 6 gallons at 154° for 90 min. Vorlauff was beautiful with maybe three little grain chunks coming through. Efficiency was 80%, which it 10 higher than I usually get.

Thanks Denny

How would you approach this method for a step mash? Only stir when adding water?

Yup. that's about it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 12:34:37 pm »

Thanks Denny

First, I think that 99% of the time a step mash is a waste of time and energy.  But yes, only stir when adding water.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »
Sparge mashout is my only step. I don't stir then, just poke around and make sure no clumps