Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanks Denny  (Read 9652 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Thanks Denny
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »
Like many, I have Mr Palmer and Mr Conn to thank for my "expertise". Recently I've been refining my mash and sparge techniques. Someone had planted the thought that frequently stirring would increase efficiency. Seemed to make sense. Then Denny suggested the max fun, max quality, max effective way of only stirring at dough in. By golly, it's true. My last brew was an IPA, 12# Washington Select, 1 1/2# Munich, 1 1/2# crystal 40, mashed in 6 gallons at 154° for 90 min. Vorlauff was beautiful with maybe three little grain chunks coming through. Efficiency was 80%, which it 10 higher than I usually get.

Thanks Denny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Thanks Denny
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:18 pm »
De nada, Mr. Jim!  We all learn form each other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:36:56 pm »
Whenever I think through a homebrew issue - I invariably say to myself, what would Denny do?  Which generally leads me to the most pragmatic approach! I have generally simplified steps in my brew day and overcome issues easily (at times at least).  And Jim, your posts have been good ones, too.  We are lucky to enjoy this hobby - my wife thinks its great, which helps (I'm home a lot more than the golfers in my neighborhood who chase a ball around a course all weekend long and then stop by my house for beer!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:15:45 pm »
I'll chime in and thank Denny too. Always responsive to forums and personal messages. Thank you for helping me to improve my brewing over the years.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »
And Jim, your posts have been good ones, too.
[/quote]

Well thanks. I've had a short and steep learning curve. A combo of listening to everyone, a grain of salt here and there, trying anything once... Its fun to share what we learn.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:48 am »
Yes, a huge thanks to Denny! I have learned so much not just from him, but from everybody on this forum. This membership is probably the most valuable brewing tool I own. I hope that every now and again I pay it forward and give somebody some positive advice. There's good people and good advice here! Cheers!
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:43:15 am »
Frank, you hit the key....pay it forward!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:47:30 am »
Frank, you hit the key....pay it forward!
+10.   I learn tons of great info here, and try to help a little along the way.
Jon H.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:47:50 am »
I started brewing back in the stone age....about the same time as Denny and remember him from the amazing new internet technology and the stone cool HBD. I loved the camaraderie of the club I belonged to then, but life got busy and I gave up brewing in '95. We later retired, moved to Or. and I was able to start brewing again in '08. Though there was no real local club where I live, Eugene was only and hour away and I decided to check out the club there. I came armed with all my old style guides,etc. to help with a local contest judging.

Guess who the first person to introduce themselves was.......Yes indeedy... The legendary Denny. He looked at my binder of stuff and said, "Throw that away. If you haven't brewed in that long, it's a whole new world."

Man was he right. The amount of knowledge available now is phenomenal....let alone the access to amazing ingredients, both in variety and quality. There has never been a better time to be a homebrewer.
Back then you were kind of considered a social deviant. Today you can actually come close to achieving god/goddess status and are surely the most popular person in your neighborhood.

With all of it's attributes and advances, one thing remains the same. Homebrewers are the best people on the planet. There are Dennys (well not quite) in clubs all over, that bend over backwards to promote homebrewing and help new comers feel welcome and comfortable asking questions. If you're new in town,
join the  HB club. You'll find lots of new friends in no time. Traveling across country or even out of the counttry? Bet someone on the forum would be happy to join you for a pint.

Denny, I raise a glass to you and to all the Dennys who go by other names. Thanks to all for your friendship and assistance.

Live long, prosper and go forth and multiply.
Cheers!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 11:39:12 am »
You guys are bringing tears to my eyes and making me blush.  It's fantastic to have so many friends, even if you've never met some of them!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »
I guess I'll pile on, too.  I'm an all grain brewer BECAUSE of Denny Conn.  I regularly sell the merits of the the Cheap-N-Easy method to newer brewers in our club, or brewers looking to move from extract to all grain.  I also often ask myself "what would Denny do?"  Maybe we need to make spiffy "WWDD" wristbands.  The hitch would be deciding what color they'd be.  Deep chocolate like BVIP?  "Waldo Lake" amber?  I think they'd better be "tie dye."  ;-)

Thanks Denny!

Jim
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »
Hmm?  I needed an experienced brewer that used a reasonably scientific method and brewed a lot, when I was gathering data on mash pH for the Bru'n Water model.  Guess who I called? 

Thanks, Denny!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »
Denny was our go-to source for the Introduction to All-Grain video series. If it wasn't for Denny, we would have been using a red picnic cooler like a bunch of fools.  ;)

Cheers, Denny!
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »
I guess I'll pile on, too.  I'm an all grain brewer BECAUSE of Denny Conn.  I regularly sell the merits of the the Cheap-N-Easy method to newer brewers in our club, or brewers looking to move from extract to all grain.  I also often ask myself "what would Denny do?"  Maybe we need to make spiffy "WWDD" wristbands.  The hitch would be deciding what color they'd be.  Deep chocolate like BVIP?  "Waldo Lake" amber?  I think they'd better be "tie dye."  ;-)

Thanks Denny!

Jim

Wristbands are a great idea, and they'd HAVE to be blue, to match our coolers.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »
Agreed with everyone here!  Thanks for everything Denny!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing