Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wee Heavy Recipe Check  (Read 6816 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Wee Heavy Recipe Check
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:59:19 am »
I'm planning on doing a Wee Heavy in the next month or so and I'm working up the recipe.  Here's what I have so far:

Recipe: The Burial Chair
Brewer: Tygo
Asst Brewer:
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.50 gal      
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.118 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
18.00 lb      Pale Malt, Maris Otter (4.0 SRM)          Grain        80.90 %      
4.00 lb       Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        17.98 %      
0.25 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        1.12 %        
1.50 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (90 min)                Hops         23.8 IBU      
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %]  (25 min)    Hops         5.2 IBU      
0.50 gm       Salt (Boil 15.0 min)                      Misc                      
0.50 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)            Misc                      
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                      
2.00 gm       Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min)               Misc                      
4.00 gm       Chalk (Mash 60.0 min)                     Misc                      
1 Pkgs        Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)          Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Batch Sparge Mash
Total Grain Weight: 22.25 lb
----------------------------

Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp    
60 min        Mash In            Add 28.00 qt of water at 187.6 F    154.0 F      
0 min         Temperature Adjust Add 4.35 qt of water at 154.0 F     154.0 F      
0 min         Sparge             Add 18.00 qt of water at 175.7 F    160.0 F      

I'm going to pull a gallon of the first runnings off and boil it down and then add it back into the boil.  

I was reading through the chapter in Designing Great Beers on Scotch and Scottish Ales and Daniels recommends a mash temp of 156 or higher.  I'm a little leery going that high with a beer this big.  He states that one of his better Strong Scotch Ales had an OG of 1.090 and a FG of 1.040 which is a way higher FG than what I think I'm going for.  I'm thinking of shooting for more in the range of 1.030 as a FG and the OG of this one is a good bit higher than 1.090.

I'm planning on pitching this on top of the yeast cake from a  5 gallon batch of 70/- I'm making as a starter beer for this and holding the fermentation temp down around 60F.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:02:32 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Wee Heavy Recipe Check
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:24:59 am »
This is more of a Way Heavy than a Wee Heavy!  ;)    Ingredients look fine. If you don't already have the base malt in your stock, give Golden Promise a try. How far were you going to boil the 1st gallon? Don't know if the whirlfloc is necessary or not in this beer.

156 on the mash is definitely on the upper end for a beer this big, IMO. Skotrat's Traquair House clone I brew is pegged at 154 and its OG is 1.088  

Big starter . . check  

62-65 on ferment temps . . check

I'd love to taste this one!  :)    
Just brew it...

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:35:30 am »
I like to push the limits  ;)

I was planning on boiling the gallon of first running down until I got scared  :).  The consistency I had in mind was thick syrup.  I'm working through a sack of MO right now so I'll be using that.  Whirlfloc probably isn't necessary but I figured it can't hurt.  I throw one into every batch.

Thanks for the comments!  I'm definitely thinking that I'll be sticking with a mash temp around 154 for this.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:39 am »
MO will work well for this and the first gallon of runnings down to syrup is classic and will give you the character you are looking for.  May even warrant a run down to Sterling to check it out! ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:53:19 pm »
Brewed this one today.  OG 1.121.  The hydrometer sample tasted awesome. :)  Now the waiting starts.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »
Holy cow, this may be a wee bit too heavy, but I'll bet it turns out good.  Let us know in a few months.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:28 pm »
It'll definitely be a sippin beer.  As long as the yeasties can get it done I think this one is going to turn out great.  I gave them a good pep talk before pitching and they seemed up to the challenge.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:25 am »
Seems a bit light in base malt  ;) I usually use 28 lbs for 5 gallons.
What did you mash at?  That is critical in a beer of this size.  I usually mash my 1.120-1.150 OG wee heavies at 148-149F and get a FG in the 1.030's

The other key is to ferment cool and to aerate well.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:10 am »
Seems a bit light in base malt  ;) I usually use 28 lbs for 5 gallons.

This is a trial run.  We'll see what happens the next time I brew it.   ;)

What did you mash at?  That is critical in a beer of this size.  I usually mash my 1.120-1.150 OG wee heavies at 148-149F and get a FG in the 1.030's

The other key is to ferment cool and to aerate well.

Fred

I mashed it at 151.  I debated going lower but in the end decided not to because I didn't want to risk over attenuating it.  Hopefully it won't finish up too excessively high. 

It's sitting in the chest freezer at 60-62 degrees and I aerated with about a minute of pure O2.  I had activity within about 4 hours and it was cooking away merrily this morning.  So far so good.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »
You, my friend, will have to exercise EXTREME self control to let this one age for awhile!
Just brew it...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
You, my friend, will have to exercise EXTREME self control to let this one age for awhile!
why? It should be extremely drinkable once carbonated

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 04:59:45 am »
The plan as of right now is to let it finish primary, which I'm estimating will take two weeks, give or take, and then rack it into the secondary and let it sit for about 2 months before bottling.  Then probably around 1 month in the bottle to condition before I pop one open (well one may get sampled before that, just for quality control purposes  ;))

After that I'm not going to be shy about drinking it but I'm definitely planning on letting some age in the bottle for awhile.  Hopefully my self control will be enough to allow some of the bottles to survive for over a year.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 05:50:22 am »
Fred, I'm not saying it won't be very drinkable early, but my experience with such high grav brews is that they don't reach their peak until a they've had a decent amount of maturation. It would be a shame to not have the lion's share available once it hits its prime!  ;)   
Just brew it...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 06:16:24 am »
I feel too many brewers feel that big beers MUST be aged to be drinkable.  If that is the case then something in your process is amiss.  Big beers generally do improve with age and most will keep for years with no problem.  If they are not dangerously drinkable when bottled/kegged then something is wrong with the process.

Fred
Fred Bonjour

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »
SG is 1.034 as of tonight.  Based on that and the appearance of the brew I'd say primary is complete on this one.  I'll let it sit another couple days and then rack to the secondary for aging.

I have to say, the alcohol was very present in the sample I tasted.  A little too present in the flavor I would say at this point.  But it's very young and hopefully a few months of aging will mellow that out.  All in all I'm pleased with the results so far.
Clint
Wort Hogs