« on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »
Anyone brewing for 2014 NHC yet?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: NHC
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »
started thinking over my plans. not started brewing. this weekends brew might possibly be a first go, depending on how it turns out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:50 pm »
That's where I'm at. Tomorrow's brew will be bottled and if it's stellar, and if I win a spot...

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:13 am »
This year, I'm not sure I see much point in brewing specifically for something I might not even have a spot in. If I get in, great. I'll send what I have.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:15 am »
I've been brewing since late summer for the competition.  I have a whole schedule laid out.  I guess I'll have plenty to choose from when (and if) I get a spot or two.  Planning on sending some into other comps too.

Not brewing anything for the conference, since it's halfway across the country and I don't think I'm driving out.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:32 am »
3 lagers well underway.  Probably squeeze one more in next week.  Might make one ale just for the competition; any others will be part of normal brew plan. 

Due to uncertainty about getting any entries through a lottery process, my efforts are going to be about a third of what they were last year.

...it is what it is.  I can always focus on mead/cider if I get in.  Plenty of those lying around.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 07:06:17 am »
If I get a spot(s) in the competition then I will send what I consider to be my best.

Will see what the club has spots for on club night, and the social club. We will concentrate on quality over quantity - the Golden Urinal has been retired, so the is no incentive to bring 100+ kegs.

This one is close to home, so any kegs can be driven. Had kegs at SD, Seattle, and Philly so need to keep the string going.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:33:32 am »
Not planning anything specific.  If i can get a spot, then I'll choose my best and send it it.  If I do, this will be the first time sending an entry in. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:48 am »
Me too. Kinda exciting
I think the better word is "preparing" for NHC.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:34:18 am »
I have a number of brews aging that I brewed right after I got home from the conference last year.  Worst case I don't get to enter them in the NHC and I have a bunch of good beer....
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
Brewing some lagers in the next few weeks.  Other stuff I won't brew until january or even february probably.  Basically brewing for other competitions and if I happen to get "lucky" enough to send some in to NHC, I will.  Wish I could "plan" for it - but, too much about luck.  Be nice if they are just going towards "lottery" entry that they start doing it earlier..... that way people don't plan their brewing around something they can't even enter.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:50 am »
I started my high gravity lagers and beer that need some aging in early fall.  IF I get in I will sample what's in the cellar and send whatever tastes best.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:33:54 am »
I started my high gravity lagers and beer that need some aging in early fall.  IF I get in I will sample what's in the cellar and send whatever tastes best.

I think the defending Ninkasi and the other three Major Award winners should be the first people they reserve spots for.  I think you've earned the opportunity to defend your title.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:59 am »

I think the defending Ninkasi and the other three Major Award winners should be the first people they reserve spots for.  I think you've earned the opportunity to defend your title.

I would agree.  We'll just have to wait and see.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:17 am »
Not so sure I agree. This assumes that these victories are titles to be defended. In my opinion once you are a Ninkasi winner, you are a Ninkasi winner. No one can take that from you. Though I have no problem giving them slots. Maybe all past Ninkasi winners should be given a pass.
I really feel for the decision makers in this. Growth is tough to deal with. Hard to put a lid on without snuffing the fire.