Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC  (Read 58101 times)

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: NHC
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »
add peat/earth to my Scottish.
Did your score sheet actually say that?  If so, please PM me the judge's name(s).

I know I judged one of the two flights of scottish, but no way would I ever say that.  I'm also curious who did.

James,

You judged my 1C. It was the 1st in the flight. Looks like a little acetaldehyde got me. You gave it a 34. I wish it had been a 48 beer, but honestly getting a 34 from a National on a 1C when you've only been brewing a year or so... not bad, in my book.

Next year I'll send a 2A with lesson learned.

34 is a solid score in the light lager category, nice work!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2014, 07:55:01 am »
I hope my bringing up "peat/earth" wasn't taken as sour grapes. That judge gave me a 40, and other good feedback. I'm a happy camper and plan on placing in the 9 cat next year with a few minor tweaks.

As far as score sheet quality goes, this was my first comp to enter and first to judge. There were a few beers that I'm certain my score sheets left a lot to be desired. I'm grateful that I was paired with a real judge, so the brewer will have at least one good sheet. I learned a ton though, and my sheets will just get better. Public apology to anyone who gets a crap score sheet from me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2014, 08:24:40 am »
I hope my bringing up "peat/earth" wasn't taken as sour grapes. That judge gave me a 40, and other good feedback. I'm a happy camper and plan on placing in the 9 cat next year with a few minor tweaks.

As far as score sheet quality goes, this was my first comp to enter and first to judge. There were a few beers that I'm certain my score sheets left a lot to be desired. I'm grateful that I was paired with a real judge, so the brewer will have at least one good sheet. I learned a ton though, and my sheets will just get better. Public apology to anyone who gets a crap score sheet from me.

The Strong Scotch Ale I had in the first round had a 40.5, and the judges commented on the smoke in the beer (can't remember if they said peat). No smoke or peat was used in making that beer. Might be the phenolics that 1728 is said to produce. To be honest I don't get anything smokey from this beer. It just might be that since they were looking for it they convinced themselves that they found it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #393 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:53 am »
Just got my scoresheets.
Was told to eliminate the agave from an agave wheat.
Dissapointed that there were zero comments on my esb. Scored a 36.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That sucks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #394 on: May 06, 2014, 09:21:27 am »

I'm absolutely not taking it that way, Jim.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #395 on: May 06, 2014, 09:22:03 am »
It just might be that since they were looking for it they convinced themselves that they found it.

Yep.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #396 on: May 06, 2014, 09:41:52 am »
It just might be that since they were looking for it they convinced themselves that they found it.

Yep.

"Judge the beer in front of you" has many advantages.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #397 on: May 06, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »

I'm absolutely not taking it that way, Jim.

Good

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #398 on: May 06, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »

I don't take it that way either.  I'll talk to the judge, or more likely have someone else do it.  He knows I hate peat in beer and might take it as my personal preference.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #399 on: May 06, 2014, 07:01:17 pm »
Right on

Offline jskiles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #400 on: May 07, 2014, 09:10:40 am »
I'm pretty happy with my scores, my pale got a 38, porter got a 37, and my imperial stout got a 43.  None of these advanced though.  I know they're popular categories, but dang, a 43 doesn't advance?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #401 on: May 07, 2014, 09:58:22 am »
At this point I think my sheets might come back to me after the 2nd round ;-)

I have no complaints about my scores.  All made it to mini-bos and all but one advanced.

The one think to remember jskiles is that it's not the score that makes the beer place.  That 43 just got you to the mini-bos.  Once in the mini-bos scores don't matter and at this point it's a "rebalancing" to determine the top 3 beers.  Basically some judges score higher than others and some score lowers than others.  This mini-bos round applies some checks and balances so the most lenient scorers are not giving out all the medals :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #402 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:45 am »
I know they're popular categories, but dang, a 43 doesn't advance?

I'm sorry you didn't advance. I can understand why you feel that way having scored a 43.  I got a 45 in the IPA category in Nashville and squeaked into the second round with a 3rd! As I understand it, your initial score will get you into the mini-bos, but after that scores are no longer considered. 

Question for the experienced judges: What exactly happens in a mini-bos?  How are the judges selected to participate and what process is followed to select the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place entries?

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »
Question for the experienced judges: What exactly happens in a mini-bos?  How are the judges selected to participate and what process is followed to select the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place entries?

Usually the more experienced judge of each pair of judges sits on the mini-BOS.  The way I've done it is, all of the beers are poured, tasted and then once we are ready, we'll go around the table and each judge will select the beer he/she likes least, if there is consensus then the beer will be out of the mini-BOS.  This is done until there are either 3 or 4 beers left and then each judge selects his/her top 3 in order.  If it is obvious which beer is 1, 2 and 3 then its a done deal, otherwise there is discussion until there is consensus which beers are 1, 2, and 3. 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #404 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

Usually the more experienced judge of each pair of judges sits on the mini-BOS.  The way I've done it is, all of the beers are poured, tasted and then once we are ready, we'll go around the table and each judge will select the beer he/she likes least, if there is consensus then the beer will be out of the mini-BOS.  This is done until there are either 3 or 4 beers left and then each judge selects his/her top 3 in order.  If it is obvious which beer is 1, 2 and 3 then its a done deal, otherwise there is discussion until there is consensus which beers are 1, 2, and 3.
This is pretty much how it goes except I would say it's less about rather the judges like/dislike the beers themselves and more about rather the judges think the beer fits or doesn't fit the style better or worse than the other beers in the mini-bos.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"