Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2565 Kolsch  (Read 14884 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »
Looking for impressions of this yeast when used in styles other than Kolsch.

On Wyeast's site, the temp range is shown from 56-70F. Has anyone ever used it at higher ends of the range? I assume it would provide a more fruity flavor at higher temps. I am looking for a new yeast that I can use in a variety of beers year round. I think I would really like this yeast but it is hard for me to ferment much below 70 in the summer.

Any input?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:13:49 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Wyeast 2565 Kolsch
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:22:03 pm »
I can't say I've used this yeast to make anything other than a Kolsch, but I can say that it makes one of my favorite beers.  There is a particular ester produced that I don't perceive from other strains.  It is spoken of as a hybrid yeast able to work both ale and lager temperature ranges.  I would expect that you get a lot more fruityness from a fermentation much warmer than 70.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »
I have used this yeast twice for Kolsch, and currently have a white IPA winding down that I held at 58 for a week and let rise to 66. I keep trying to get around to sampling it, but too many other chores right now. Very poor flocculation.

I am going to be giving it a go in a common in the mid 60's, another Kolsch, and a berliner soon.

I haven't used it over mid 60's, so I can't tell you how it works near 70.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »
I've used it in cream ales (meaning that there was some corn in the mash) and it was good.  I've also used it in cider and it was very good.  Somewhere in the high 60's for fermentation temp.  Still think it would probably be best in a Kolsch but I'd use it in any lighter ale without much concern.  Could be a bit fruity when hot, I got some definite apple and pear character from it when I've used it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »
Given its distinct flavor profile, I've never considered it for anything other than kolsch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:20:30 pm »
I thought I remember someone saying they used it in an APA and it was great...

I don't really brew any traditional beer styles so it sounds boring to use a Kolsch yeast for a Kolsch...haha. Actually Kolsch is one of my favorite beer styles so maybe I should just brew one and use American hops to satisfy my need to do something different. "American Kolsch", it can go into the pile along with Session IPA, American Bitter, etc...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 03:23:17 pm »
Given its distinct flavor profile, I've never considered it for anything other than kolsch.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »

I don't really brew any traditional beer styles so it sounds boring to use a Kolsch yeast for a Kolsch...haha. Actually Kolsch is one of my favorite beer styles so maybe I should just brew one and use American hops to satisfy my need to do something different. "American Kolsch", it can go into the pile along with Session IPA, American Bitter, etc...

You have to make a Golsch. I really don't see any other option. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:55:41 pm »

You have to make a Golsch. I really don't see any other option.

Haha! Yes it is settled...

Okay well from responses so far it seems that Kolsch yeast should mostly be used for Kolsch beers. I thought maybe there were some other styles that might be good similarly toe using an english yeast for an american pale ale.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:37 pm »
You could use it in any style you want, but it will taste like an APA?Blonde/Cream Ale/etc. brewed with Kolsch yeast. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it. That's the beauty of homebrewing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 07:16:56 am »
You could use it in any style you want, but it will taste like an APA?Blonde/Cream Ale/etc. brewed with Kolsch yeast. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it. That's the beauty of homebrewing.

+1
Dave Zach

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 07:46:00 am »

Basic Brewing Radio did a grand yeast experiment a while back with APA and liked the Kolsch yeast best out of like 8 different yeasts.  I have brewed Blonde ales with it that turned out excellent.  Great yeast.  Go for it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »
My LHBS does not have 2565 but I can get 1007 - German Ale. Any input about how this stacks up against 2565? Looks like it should reasonably similar and should work well for a Kolsch.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 02:39:54 pm »
My LHBS does not have 2565 but I can get 1007 - German Ale. Any input about how this stacks up against 2565? Looks like it should reasonably similar and should work well for a Kolsch.

You can use it but it is not the same. Kolsch yeast has a specific flavor profile that wy1007 doesn't have.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »

You can use it but it is not the same. Kolsch yeast has a specific flavor profile that wy1007 doesn't have.

Right. I assumed that is the case but 1007 is still appropriate for the Kolsch style correct? They do have WLP029 so I suppose I should use that. I prefer Wyeast to White Labs when possible...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:00:04 pm by goschman »