Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423541 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2014, 06:50:27 pm »
Jon,

I brewed out of Zymurgy last weekend, but the current issue.  I had a full bag of T. Fawcett Golden Promise so from among the many mouth-watering gold-winning recipes, selected Dennis Collins' English Pale Ale.  But it was on a whim so substituted Mangrove Jack Burton Union yeast available at my LHBS, instead of the recipe's WY 1028 (London Ale Yeast), and I "burtonized" my water profile per the Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water.  Still, it's looking like it will be a very nice beer!

I really like your hops selection for you AIPA - sounds really good.

Thanks!  I think you picked a nice one. Golden Promise is such an underrated malt. Report back how it comes out!

I kegged today and both buckets came out with a terminal gravity of 1.011, right on the nose -- mashed at 152 but there's a bunch of crystal malt in this recipe.  Hydro samples tasted phenomenal.  With this MGJ Burton Union yeast, there were scattered tiny bits of yeast on the surface, so I should have cold crashed first but still, the remainder of the yeast flocculated very well so no biggy.  Big THANK YOU to Martin Brungard for his wonderful software plus numerous forum contributions that make it so much easier to make great beer custom fit to numerous beer styles, with chemistry..., water chemistry that is!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:47 pm »
Jon,

I brewed out of Zymurgy last weekend, but the current issue.  I had a full bag of T. Fawcett Golden Promise so from among the many mouth-watering gold-winning recipes, selected Dennis Collins' English Pale Ale.  But it was on a whim so substituted Mangrove Jack Burton Union yeast available at my LHBS, instead of the recipe's WY 1028 (London Ale Yeast), and I "burtonized" my water profile per the Pale Ale profile in Bru'n Water.  Still, it's looking like it will be a very nice beer!

I really like your hops selection for you AIPA - sounds really good.

Thanks!  I think you picked a nice one. Golden Promise is such an underrated malt. Report back how it comes out!

I kegged today and both buckets came out with a terminal gravity of 1.011, right on the nose -- mashed at 152 but there's a bunch of crystal malt in this recipe.  Hydro samples tasted phenomenal.  With this MGJ Burton Union yeast, there were scattered tiny bits of yeast on the surface, so I should have cold crashed first but still, the remainder of the yeast flocculated very well so no biggy.  Big THANK YOU to Martin Brungard for his wonderful software plus numerous forum contributions that make it so much easier to make great beer custom fit to numerous beer styles, with chemistry..., water chemistry that is!

Very cool !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »
Brewing has been slow, but I just kegged some Octoberfest and put it on the gas. Should be perfect for tailgating in 2 weeks. It's kinda funny that for as much as I love hops, my 'fest is the first recipe I've dialed in and brewed multiple batches of using the same recipe.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tookalisten

• 1st Kit
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:03 am »
Just finished up a Porter, in the fermentor

Primary:
Kegged: IPA, Amber, Brown, Pale Ale

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
I'm in the middle of the boil on a winter warmer, Maris otter cinnamon and vanilla bean. Not too high gravity so it should be ready this winter, not next.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2014, 01:03:24 pm »
I'm in the middle of the boil on a winter warmer, Maris otter cinnamon and vanilla bean. Not too high gravity so it should be ready this winter, not next.
Sounds tasty. What's your yeast?
Eric B.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:20 pm »
American mild. 67% 6 row 30% flaked rye/wheat 3% caramel 120. Used chinook, mt. Hood, and brewer's gold for hops at various stages, and 1450 for the yeast. We'll see. My mash temp was much lower than I wanted, so this may be a hoppy cream ale. Brewed 10 gallons. The other half is going to be a braggot with carrot blossom honey,  and apple juice.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »

My mash temp was much lower than I wanted, so this may be a hoppy cream ale.

The body might not be quite what you wanted, but it'll have the spiciness of the rye and some dark caramel character. I think it sounds pretty good ! And the 1450 will help with mouthfeel a little - great yeast.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
Oud bruin with the wyeast pc release blend.  Kegging an American Barleywine and RIS for aging. 

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »

My mash temp was much lower than I wanted, so this may be a hoppy cream ale.

The body might not be quite what you wanted, but it'll have the spiciness of the rye and some dark caramel character. I think it sounds pretty good ! And the 1450 will help with mouthfeel a little - great yeast.

Thanks! I think it will be good. Just not what I had in mind. I'm hoping the 30% flaked grain will give it a big body.
Kyle M.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2014, 10:16:29 am »
Brewed a Session IPA on Saturday with Cascade and Centennial (FWH, 15 and 0 additions) that I'm going to split into 5 1 gallon jugs and dry hop with different combinations of hops (Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, etc).

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:05 am »
Brewed a Session IPA on Saturday with Cascade and Centennial (FWH, 15 and 0 additions) that I'm going to split into 5 1 gallon jugs and dry hop with different combinations of hops (Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, etc).

Sounds great. I love hop experimenting !
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:37 am »

You may want to dry hop each with one hop variety, then blend the resulting beers, if you're looking to taste-test different hop combos.
Eric B.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:50 am »

You may want to dry hop each with one hop variety, then blend the resulting beers, if you're looking to taste-test different hop combos.

Great way to compete too

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2014, 06:40:15 am »
Today it's double batching for a Christmas party at a friends house - Vienna lager 20 gallons.  Big brew day for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"