Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 427382 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4395 on: May 05, 2024, 09:56:43 am »
some session mead is up next. im thinking more and more trying to hit right around 5% and no higher

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4396 on: May 08, 2024, 03:54:28 pm »
Up next:  Another Mexican lager this time to get me close to Victoria.  I've made this beer for about 10+ years.  Avangard Pilsner Malt, Swaen Munich 2, flaked corn, Hallertau hops and Omega 113.  Here's a shot of a batch from 2020...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4397 on: May 17, 2024, 08:41:13 am »
I posted a pic of a dark lager on the prior page and I had planned to brew it but I had a dark lager on tap and a dark ale on deck so I held off.  I think I will make that beer later this afternoon.  Pilsner, flaked corn, a bit of dark crystal and some Carafa III added at the end of the mash, Magnum and Hallertau and Omega 113.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4398 on: May 17, 2024, 09:12:13 am »
Retroactively posting for last weekend. I brewed a 60% pils/40% unmalted rye sour beer. It is lambic style, minus subbing rye for wheat, complete with turbid mash. I expected the early runnings around 113f and 126c to be goopy messes due to the rye but it wasn't any different from wheat. Aged hops in the boil were a mix of homegrown cascades from 2016 and a mix of low alpha German hops from 2017. Pitched 3278 and it will sit for probably 18-24 months before I get into it.

This beer is the start of resuming my sour blending program. The next beer will be the same thing but with unmalted wheat. The other two beers to join are a brown ale modeled off the oud bruin recipe in Wild Brews and a pale ale. All four beers will become continuous blends in their individual vessels.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4399 on: May 17, 2024, 01:26:49 pm »
Retroactively posting for last weekend. I brewed a 60% pils/40% unmalted rye sour beer. It is lambic style, minus subbing rye for wheat, complete with turbid mash. I expected the early runnings around 113f and 126c to be goopy messes due to the rye but it wasn't any different from wheat. Aged hops in the boil were a mix of homegrown cascades from 2016 and a mix of low alpha German hops from 2017. Pitched 3278 and it will sit for probably 18-24 months before I get into it.

This beer is the start of resuming my sour blending program. The next beer will be the same thing but with unmalted wheat. The other two beers to join are a brown ale modeled off the oud bruin recipe in Wild Brews and a pale ale. All four beers will become continuous blends in their individual vessels.

That sounds awesome. As soon as I have a stable (temperature and location) space to store them, I hope to start something similar.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4400 on: May 17, 2024, 07:39:14 pm »
Planned for tomorrow:

Extract Alabambic
Mixed-Fermentation Sour Beer

5.0% / 9.9 °P

Extract Batch Volume: 11 L
Boil Time: 30 min

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.002
IBU (Tinseth): 11
BU/GU: 0.27
Color: 2.8 SRM

Extracts (1.18 kg)
1.02 kg (86.5%) — Briess Pilsen Light — Dry Extract — 2.1 °L
100 g (8.5%) — Briess Sparkling Amber — Dry Extract — 8.3 °L
60 g (5.1%) — Maltodextrin — Sugar — 2.8 °L — Boil — 30 min

Hops (14 g)
14 g (11 IBU) — Willamette 3.9% — Boil — 30 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Bootleg Biology Sour Solera Blend

Fermentation
Primary — 22 °C — 21 days
Secondary — 22 °C — 120 days

Carbonation: 3 CO2-vol

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.