Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from Kegs.  (Read 6879 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Bottling from Kegs.
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:53:06 pm »
So, This year I decided not to bottle my holiday beer. But I would love to share some, as I have in
years past. I know it is easy to bottle from kegs and what not, but how many out there find that oxidation
it is really a perception and myth versus a real problem?

Does it really oxidize or have a great potential to oxidize? Do you have occasions where it did?
Do you have a high frequency of non-events when bottling from a keg?

I ask because I think that I would like to enter it into a comp, and I would have to bottle from
the keg.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Bottling from Kegs.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 05:58:18 am »
I had a judge note a sherry aroma in a beer that I entered in the NHC. From what I'm told, this can occur from oxidation. I bottled that beer from a keg. I guess it's really hard to quantify it. I think oxidation is occurring, but to what extent I don't know. I try to minimize oxidation as much as I can during racking and such.
Ron Price

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:09 am »
Oxidation may be either a blessing or a curse, usually a curse, depending on the style and strength of the beer.

I like bottling from the "beer gun" because you purge with CO2 before you bottle.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:44:19 am »
Oxidation may be either a blessing or a curse, usually a curse, depending on the style and strength of the beer.

I like bottling from the "beer gun" because you purge with CO2 before you bottle.

Fred

I have the Blichmann Beer gun, but I haven't gotten around to using it. I need to try that for the next comp. That should also help reduce oxidation.
Ron Price

Offline harsley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:47 am »
I bottle right from the tap...just turn the pressure way down and go slow.  Never had problems from that at competitions.

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:07:50 am »
even if you don't purge with co2, as long as you cap on foam you will keep oxidation to a bare minimum. oxidation is not an instantaneous process so as long as you limit the amount of o2 in the capped bottle by proper filling techniques you should not have a problem whether you're just filling from the tap or not.

some breweries in the area have a special piece of tubing that fits over the tap and goes right to the bottom of a growler so you're filling from the bottom rather than spashing it all down the sides from the top. i would assume this would help with keeping your beer carbonated as well as limiting splashing that can catch o2. should be a really cheap way to get what you want, since i think we all probably have tubing lying around.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:00:22 am »
even if you don't purge with co2, as long as you cap on foam you will keep oxidation to a bare minimum. oxidation is not an instantaneous process so as long as you limit the amount of o2 in the capped bottle by proper filling techniques you should not have a problem whether you're just filling from the tap or not.

some breweries in the area have a special piece of tubing that fits over the tap and goes right to the bottom of a growler so you're filling from the bottom rather than spashing it all down the sides from the top. i would assume this would help with keeping your beer carbonated as well as limiting splashing that can catch o2. should be a really cheap way to get what you want, since i think we all probably have tubing lying around.
I've done this for a few bottles.  It does work

Fred

Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline jackfromjax

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »
I have a beer gun that I use for long term bottling.  However, if I'm bottling for a club comp or a comp that is going to happen in the next month or so, I'll use a piece of rigid tubing that fits into the end of the cobra head.  I'll then dial down the pressure to about 2psi.  The key for me, is to overflow the bottle when filling then remove the rigid tubing from the bottle and cap as quickly as possible.  This give a pefect fill and reduces oxidation.  The best part is that there is beer in the overflow catch container below that needs consuming.

Cheers

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 05:16:13 pm »
I bottled all my competition beers this year from the keg. Out of the 10 or so that I've entered, only once did a judge note that he detected a bit of acetaldehyde which may have been the result of oxidation; however, neither of the other two judges mentioned it (including the only one of the three who was BJCP certified).

I turn the gas off to the keg, burp out most but not quite all of the pressure, purge the bottle with CO2, fill from the tap, and cap on foam.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:21 am »
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to tip #4 here...

http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/cheap.html

That's what I've been doing for years and it works great.  I usually purge the bottles with CO2 first.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
I did my first "keg bottling" recently. But rather than bottle a few bottles from a force carbonated keg, I simply added my priming sugar to the keg, followed by the beer, then I set the pressure down to 4, and poured the beer through my kegerator  faucet into 5 gallons worth of bottles. I found this was a lot easier than using a bottling bucket, and I imagine it was more sanitary as well.

I will certainly try the "tube connected to cobra head" technique if I want to bottle a few from a force-carbonated keg.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 05:11:39 pm »
Does capping on foam have any effect on the cap seal? Or do you wipe down the lip with a starsan soaked towel first?
I was thinking maybe some kind of spoilage on the stuff outside the bottle, yet inside the cap.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:01 am »
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to tip #4 here...

http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/cheap.html

That's what I've been doing for years and it works great.  I usually purge the bottles with CO2 first.

+1.060 ...I'm going to start thinking about how to CO2 purge, though.
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 09:51:13 am »
It's pretty easy if you use the flare (screw on) QDs.  I just unscrew one form the CO2 line and stick the end of the line in the bottle.  Give it a couple second shot of CO2 and you're set.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:45 am »
Cool, thanks for the replies.
Ruben * Colorado :)