Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Hop Flter  (Read 8773 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Stainless Steel Hop Flter
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:53:44 pm »
I just purchased one of these in 300 micron.  Anybody else tried one?  I'm hoping it will be an upgrade over my aging hop bags. 

I also plan to use it to filter wort on its way from the mash tun to the kettle (something I was previously using hop bags for).  They tended to catch a decent amount of fine grain particulate (even post-vorlauf).

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
Re: Stainless Steel Hop Flter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
I have one from Stainless Brewing to fit my Blichmann 20 gal. boiler maker kettle.  It is nicely built.
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:30 pm »
That looks nice.  Where did you buy it?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »
That's a nice filer!

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:11:10 pm »
Just got one.  They work very well. I purchased mine after using a friends. Good bye grubby little hop bags.
I special ordered a 6x16 with the center or side hanger option. Had it within 3 days. Great customer service from Arbor Fabricating in Ann Arbor, Mi.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »
I went with the 4x10 which fits well in my 10 gallon megapot, and allows plenty of room for the chiller.

I ordered it from the Utah Biodiesel website, but I think it came from Arbor Fabricating.

http://www.arborfab.com/

I might buy one of the stainless dry hoppers at some point in the future (either from Arbor Fabricating or Stainless Brewing).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:51:08 am »
Just got one.  They work very well. I purchased mine after using a friends. Good bye grubby little hop bags.
I special ordered a 6x16 with the center or side hanger option. Had it within 3 days. Great customer service from Arbor Fabricating in Ann Arbor, Mi.

My birthday is next week.  Think I'll get myself a present!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 10:55:39 am »
I just purchased one of these in 300 micron.  Anybody else tried one?  I'm hoping it will be an upgrade over my aging hop bags. 

I also plan to use it to filter wort on its way from the mash tun to the kettle (something I was previously using hop bags for).  They tended to catch a decent amount of fine grain particulate (even post-vorlauf).

I wonder if you should ask them what their welding material is.  Ive never seen those kind of heat discolorations on SS sanitary welds....
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:05:01 am »
I want to buy something similar to this. I like that you could use it as a spider and also as a filter for the mash tun, as well as to filter the wort going in to the fermenter. BTW I love this SS dry hopper for the keg :

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html

Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:42:48 am »
I want to buy something similar to this. I like that you could use it as a spider and also as a filter for the mash tun, as well as to filter the wort going in to the fermenter. BTW I love this SS dry hopper for the keg :

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html

Buy Zachs spider, Its Awesome;)
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:10:56 am »
I use mine all the time and love it!  Like you, I use it to filter grain from my mash tun.  No Vorlauf ever.  Just put the hose in the filter and open the valve.  Then when the wort is coming up to boil temp, I just hose it off and drop it in the Boil Kettle for hop/spice additions.

My next purchase is their dry hop canister that will fit in corny kegs.  I figure they will hold ~4 oz. of wet hops.  Yum.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:01 pm »
I finally got a chance to try this thing out yesterday.  It worked great as a wort filter and seemed to do pretty well as a hop bag (I guess I'll know more after I taste the resultant beer).

The manufacturer states this size filter can hold four ounces of pellet hops, but I think three is probably more likely given the level of the wort in the kettle near the end of the boil. 

It was a lot easier to use and clean than multiple hop bags, and I feel like it allowed for better wort/hop contact.  I think I might buy a second one.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 03:33:13 pm »
I like the idea of using one of the filters, but I would be concerned about getting good hop extraction during whirlpool. Anyone put whirlpool hops in one  of these things?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:01 am »
Not a pain to clean, huh? What about putting in your chiller? I use a hop bag here and there and love that it keeps the post boil trub to a minimum, but hate pulling the bag out to put my chiller in.
Jesse

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:37:54 am »
Not a pain to clean, huh? What about putting in your chiller? I use a hop bag here and there and love that it keeps the post boil trub to a minimum, but hate pulling the bag out to put my chiller in.

There is that.  I have a plate chiller so no conflict there, but yeah, they both would not fit in my BK.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton