Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt head?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Malt head?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
I've made a lot of malty beers lately becauses this is the time of year that I make lagers and my basement has been perfect this year. I do see a hoppy beer in the near future after making 3 lagers and 2 Belgians. My beer ADD prevents me from focusing on one style for too long ???
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »

My beer ADD prevents me from focusing on one style for too long ???

+1.  Same here !
Jon H.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 08:19:55 pm »
I just kegged a 70 Shilling ale.  My first experience with WY1728.  The hydro sample was brilliantly clear and tasted awesome.  The wort caramelization came through well, along with a great smoky yeast character.  I can't wait for this one to carb up!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 08:30:14 pm »
Shillings are the bomb!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 06:27:10 am »
I just kegged a 70 Shilling ale.  My first experience with WY1728.  The hydro sample was brilliantly clear and tasted awesome.  The wort caramelization came through well, along with a great smoky yeast character.  I can't wait for this one to carb up!

I made my second 60/- several weeks ago and for a 3.2% abv beer I found it simply amazing. That's another recipe that, contrary to style, Dark Munich II found its way in the recipe and for the better.

One of my favorite styles that I don't see enough commercial versions of is Bockbier. Why do we 'mericans neglect this style?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:06 am »
I suppose there are exceptions to the rule, but it seems that shelf space is 75% of one style subcategory. The rest is dedicated to some version of IPA, and maybe a stout or a green bottle. One could say there are pale ales, ESB, etc... but anymore they are all creeping up in abv and IBU. The pendulum swing of meeting customer demand I suppose.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 06:53:18 am »
Not me.  I still can't get enough AA and/or wonderful hop oils.  I just had some Lucille by Georgetown - wow good.

I try to always have a big IPA (big hoppy not ABV) on tap and a lighter beer (currently a Scottish 60/).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 07:19:55 am »
I'm about to keg a traditional Bock brewed the day after New Years. At a OG of 1.069 and 19 bu's it'll be pretty malt forward.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 12:13:14 pm »
I have over 20 pounds of hops in the freezer, yet 8 of my last 10 beers I brewed have been malt-forward beers (and 1 of the remaining 2 was a lambic). I love hops, but there are a million commercial APA/IPA/IIPA's out there. The last 6 months or so I've had a few English/Scottish Ales and German Lagers that I've really liked, but I haven't been able to get my fill on the commercial stuff. Plus, I've brewed so many hoppy beers in the past 2 years that I feel the need to branch out.

I'm already starting to get a few ideas for new hoppy beers, so I'm sure I'll be back on the IPA train after I get the malty stuff out of my system.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
Last night we kicked a keg of Bo-Pils and replaced it with our Helles. Wow, is there some wonderful grain goodness going on there. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »
How about a few examples of malt forward non-hopped to death beers.
Anything German or influenced by Germany will work, among others.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »
'Tis the season for Maibock brewing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 05:49:50 am »
I have a keg of Horst Dornbusch's Edel Hell on tap right now.  Simply sublime! A
light, but richly malt forward style that is only 3.9% ABV.  I also have a 3 gallon  keg of bock - and I agree that it is a style many homebrewers seem to avoid for some reason.  Lagering on dry hops is a CP recipe - Claude of Neptune 2 - a dark lager that is not overly hopped, but assertive.  Can't wait to carb and drink that one.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:52 am »
I always have something malty on tap as well as a belgian, but after a while I crave American hops and have to make an ipa or apa.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:21 am »
I love hoppy beers, but I brew one about every 5 or 6 batches nowadays. Used to brew an IPA probably every other batch. Brewing a lot more lagers and British styles now. I love a balanced beer in the 4-6% range. I like to be able to enjoy 3 or 4 or 5 if I want and not get palate fatigued or hammered.
Jesse