Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt head?  (Read 6452 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Malt head?
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:23:26 am »
I think I'm getting burned out on hop bombs. Brought home a FW Union Jack and could drink it. Maybe it will pass, but at least for now I can't get enough toasty roasty cararely goodness. Seems like the less hops the better.

Anyone else alpha intolerant these days?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Malt head?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:57:55 am »
With the exception of Denny's RIPA, which I brew 2-3 times a year, I haven't made an American IPA in quite a while.  I, too, get palate fatigue from the hop bombs.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:30:25 am »
Awesome, glad I'm not alone. I'm not anti IPA, or thinking I'm cool and trendy, I guess I'm kind of surprised that I haven't found these spectacular flavors sooner. Looking over the recipes I've been brewing the past few months, with the exception of an ESB, they all use an ounce or less of hops. The biggest OG is 1.050 and my favorite is a simple little 70/-.

I have a half pound of each Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, and Mosaic on standby though. Just in case ;-)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:03:44 am »
I love hops.... but I love malt and yeast character even more.  I love Belgians and German styles the most.  I love IPA, too, but... there's more to life!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:17 am »
I have been liking malty beers more the last year.

My taste goes in cycles. Back to brewing more British styles, Wee Heavy, and malty lagers than a couple of years ago.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 07:33:55 am »
Same here. I love hops as much as anybody, but I hit overload after a while. I usually only brew 5 gallon batches of AIPA a couple times a year , and do smaller batches if I'm experimenting with new hops. But every time a hoppy batch is gone, I do something malty, roasty, or often Belgian. If I go out to a brew pub or beer bar I never have the same beer twice - always looking for a new experience. There are just too many good styles to be locked into one.
Jon H.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:24 am »
Amen.   I'm getting tired of going into my local bottle shop and finding that 80% of the offerings are IPAs.  I'm getting tired of going into a newly opened brewery and finding more than half of the selection are various riffs on the hop-bomb.  I've started referring to them as AFIPA (Another F* IPA).

I do enjoy them, but come on-- it's a big world out there!  I love malt and yeast too!

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:48:33 am »
I don't mind a nicely balanced IPA with enough malt backbone to lend structure to the hops - Bell's Two-Hearted comes to mind. But the "I can add even more IBUs" enamel-strippers get old very quickly. Especially in colder weather, give me a bunch of malt and yeast complexity and warmth over raw hoppiness. The top of my list are Belgian Tripels right now.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:55:55 am »
Funny. I've been becoming more of hop head, but yesterday I had a taster of stone enjoy by and considered tossing it. I just want into it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 09:09:09 am »
New Belgium or Ommegang abbey ales are good choices.  And don't skimp on the onions.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:19 am »
I usually love American IPA. But, last year I got burned out after judging several AIPA. Ever since then I have enjoyed the malty styles much more. Although I am getting the itch to brew a IIPA.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:27 am »
Currently (the last several years), I have only been doing 45 minute high-alpha bittering charge for about 90% of my beers. Chasing the hop-bomb is expensive and messy. :-\

Also, since I am an allergy sufferer the subtle delicacies of hop-aroma are wasted upon me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 09:36:03 am »
I'm a malt man at heart, but I go back and forth. I try to never buy or brew the same beer back-to-back. Keeps things fun and interesting. Less burnout on specific styles.

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 09:38:12 am »
+1 on the allergies. Makes evaluation tough.

Luckily my wife has a great sense of taste/smell, so she's my guinea pig.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:34 am »
I tend to drink beers seasonally.  Ipas are best enjoyed int he warmer months, stouts and malt forward rich beers int he cold months.  Thats just me of course:D
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!