Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dubbel feedback  (Read 8079 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: dubbel feedback
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »
How are you guys feeling about adding the syrup to the fermenter or at flameout?

Flameout for me on the dark syrups. I feel it preserves more of the flavors.

Have you done a comparison to adding it earlier?  I haven't found it to make any difference, but maybe I'm missing something.
This is a philosophical answer more than scientific, but I believe any syrup that is boiled during production (candy, maple, molasses, etc) can be added at any time during the boil. All volatile aromas should be long gone anyway.

I don't disagree, Jimmy. The production thing occurred to me. But if indeed my dubbels and quads were a little better from boiling the syrups none vs some, then I feel no harm done by adding at flameout. But I've brewed enough beer to know how hard it is to reproduce the exact same beer twice. Pretty much not gonna happen at home.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 06:21:23 pm »
I haven't brewed one yet but I'm curious. I think I read or heard that if too much simple sugar is added too early that the yeast will go after those and then get lazy (wrong term for something with no brain probably) and will stall leaving maltose behind. True or myth? If it's true, seems like adding toward the end of high krausen would be best.
I say myth

+1 - My last quad had about 25% simple sugar (added during the boil), and went from 1.090 down to 1.014 with no problem. I think if you pitch enough yeast, then there's not an excessive amount of growth to select for cells that prefer to metabolize simple sugars.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »
Makes sense to me. I think sometimes people come up with a theory that seems to make sense on paper. But just doesn't happen in reality, or not to a noticeable degree. Actually I'm pretty good and misunderstanding things myself.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

I haven't brewed one yet but I'm curious. I think I read or heard that if too much simple sugar is added too early that the yeast will go after those and then get lazy (wrong term for something with no brain probably) and will stall leaving maltose behind. True or myth? If it's true, seems like adding toward the end of high krausen would be best.
I say myth

+1 - My last quad had about 25% simple sugar (added during the boil), and went from 1.090 down to 1.014 with no problem. I think if you pitch enough yeast, then there's not an excessive amount of growth to select for cells that prefer to metabolize simple sugars.

I put everything in the kettle and have no issues with getting good attenuation.

A big pitch, good oxygenation and patience will do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:36 pm »
It's truf if you don't pitch enough yeast. Too much available glucose will cause the yeast to give up on life, or at least fermentation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »
I say myth

My feeling is that it is true, but only really if you use a starter that is all simple sugar, or something ridiculous like 50%+ simple sugar.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:34 am »
Makes sense to me. I think sometimes people come up with a theory that seems to make sense on paper. But just doesn't happen in reality, or not to a noticeable degree. Actually I'm pretty good and misunderstanding things myself.
Well, during the dark ages (the 90's) folks probably weren't pitching sufficient amounts of healthy yeast. Adding simple sugars increased OG without adding extra nutrients (the probably weren't adding yeast nutrients either). This made a bad situation worse for already unhealthy yeast. So maybe the idea isn't completely baseless.

On top of that, yeast had to work with Ace of Base playing in the background. Constantly.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 06:54:59 am »
Sounds like the voice of experience!

I take it that Mr Ace was a college band singer?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 07:14:14 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 07:22:01 am »
Wow, Nirvana ?  No damn way. However I heartily endorse the rest of the list, but would substitute the entire hair metal genre which extended into the early 90's as a whole in Nirvana's place and then I think it's about right. YMMV.

Also, gotta love a good Ace of Base reference  ;)
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 09:37:58 am »
Well, it's because it's pragmatic.

Ooof!  Hoist by my own petard!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 09:39:27 am »
I say myth

I can't say myth for sure, but I've made a lot of Belgian style beers with sugar added early in the boil and I've never had a problem.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:02 pm »
The beers I have always fed incrementally always got drier (maybe too dry) that the ones I haven't. Try it for yourself.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »
The beers I have always fed incrementally always got drier (maybe too dry) that the ones I haven't. Try it for yourself.

I have.  I didn't find any difference.  Maybe I just can't tell.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

I have.  I didn't find any difference.  Maybe I just can't tell.

Myself as well.  Plus, it's just one more thing to have to do/remember.

Once the beer hits the fermenter, I would prefer to just leave it alone.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton