Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peltier Cooled Conical  (Read 27417 times)

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
Re: Peltier Cooled Conical
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »
I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now, glad a ran across this thread.  I'm not too familiar with peltier devices. Do you simply apply one the opposite direction of the other to control both heating and cooling? Would the peltiers easily wire into a ranco type controller?

From what I understand, you need to change the polarity of the peltiers to heat.  I did not do this but rather installed a 120v adhesive block heating pad to the conical to do the heating for me.  It was much simpler, and I believe cheaper, than switching polarity based on cool/heat need.  As for wiring, you power the peltiers with a computer power supply with 12v.  This power supply would then plug into the ranco type controller and the controller would turn on/off the power supply.  There are some wiring issues like jumpering wires on the power supply that you need to do.  I have all the details if you need them.

Great, thanks. If it's not a big deal for you to send over the details on the wiring, that would be awesome. Electrical is not my area of expertise by a long shot so any help I could get would be a huge help!

If you have an email, or if there is a way to pm on here, I can send you some documents. No problem.

coastsidemike

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »
Do you recommend a parts supplier?  I'm guessing you're beyond CPU peltiers; curious as to what wattage you're at and if there's an inexpensive source for the heat sinks.  Thanks.

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:27 am »
Do you recommend a parts supplier?  I'm guessing you're beyond CPU peltiers; curious as to what wattage you're at and if there's an inexpensive source for the heat sinks.  Thanks.

Link to Word Document with parts info and wiring diagram
https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_15032574648

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:33:53 am by ddcurtis69 »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
It would be interesting to be able to fit one of these on a corny keg. There are possibilities there. Just sayin.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rschramm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:03 am »
Great post. Unfortunately the link to parts list and wiring diagram is not working for me. (I registered for a box.com acct) Keeps saying "the item has been deleted or is unavailable to you"  Could you update or somehow repost or enable the information?  Thanks!

Offline twal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:35 am »
 Great info,+1 on the link to parts list and wiring diagram,not working,would like to get the info.

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:00 am »
Great info,+1 on the link to parts list and wiring diagram,not working,would like to get the info.

If anyone wants a copy of the document, please email me your address.  I can't seem to get the link to work for some reason.  My email is ddcurtis@suddenlink.net

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 09:29:41 am »
Am I correct in thinking that if wired up differently this same tech can generate electricity? or am I confusing it with a different tech?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 11:29:30 am »
Am I correct in thinking that if wired up differently this same tech can generate electricity? or am I confusing it with a different tech?

It can be used to generate electricity AFAIK.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline niels

• 1st Kit
    • Braumeisters.net - The international Speidel Braumeister owners community
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 09:54:21 am »
Very nice construction! But I was wondering if the fact that you are creating cold/hot spots doesn't hurt.
During active fermentation you have natural convection going which improves the temperature spreading, but when lagering this isn't the case.

I have a 120 litres conical that I currently chill with a stainless steel immersion chiller connected to a cooling unit. This is a bit of a bulky solution, so I like the peltier option...

Niels

Offline ttocs8769

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 07:12:52 am »
When purchasing my conical fermenter a few years ago, I just couldn't swallow the extra cost for a cooled unit.  I purchased the un-cooled version and lived with it for a year or so.  However, as my geek nature wasn't happy with lack of temperature control, my creative juices started flowing.  Attached are pictures of the peltier cooling and heating (with block heater) setup I built for my 14 gallon conical fermenter.  It is working great and has been able to get 14 gallons down to 33F with an ambient temperature of 67F.  I am loving this thing and now moving into lagers with my newfound temperature control.  I also fitted my 7 gallon conical with the same setup, except only 2 peltier chips instead of 4.  I have way less in this build than buying a pre-made peltier cooled fermenter.  Cheers!

COOLING BLOCK WITH PELTIER CHIPS AND HEAT SINKS MOUNTED

FERMENTER SHOWING ONE OF TWO BLOCKS INSTALLED

FERMENTER MOSTLY INSULATED

CONTROLLER&POWER SUPPLY OUTSIDE BREWERY

BULLET PLUGS INSIDE BREWERY TO "PLUG IN" FERMENTER

ICE ON ALUMINUM BLOCK

ICE ON INSIDE OF FERMENTER

Where did you get your blocks manufactured? and how much did each cost?

Offline alastair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »
Where did you get your blocks manufactured? and how much did each cost?

I'd be interested in finding out too. I'm assuming this was milled on a CNC machine. Most people don't own something like that at home, so I'm assuming at a shop. That might be prohibitively expensive unless you know someone and can get it done on the side.

Another interesting option would be to cast this. I've done some aluminum casting at home (as a kid!) and there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. This would allow you to take a mold of the outside of the fermenter and cast a block that would be a perfect fit. Still not simple or easy though.

Offline alastair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
Follow up on the last comment. I contacted my local maker space and found someone interested in machining a part like this. Even making this in his spare time he quoted $675 for two parts (time and tooling). This is probably a pretty good price when compared to a real machine shop, although this is still prohibitively expensive.

Offline Vesteroid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 04:41:41 pm »
Looks like maybe a .75 or 1 x 4 piece of flat bar about 8 inches long?

I can mill that easy in an hour or less.  675 sounds crazy high for that part.

Offline Vesteroid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 05:19:20 pm »
If anyone ever found a source for those or similar coolers, I would love a link.   Thanks in advance.