Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peltier Cooled Conical  (Read 27418 times)

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
Peltier Cooled Conical
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:15:09 am »
When purchasing my conical fermenter a few years ago, I just couldn't swallow the extra cost for a cooled unit.  I purchased the un-cooled version and lived with it for a year or so.  However, as my geek nature wasn't happy with lack of temperature control, my creative juices started flowing.  Attached are pictures of the peltier cooling and heating (with block heater) setup I built for my 14 gallon conical fermenter.  It is working great and has been able to get 14 gallons down to 33F with an ambient temperature of 67F.  I am loving this thing and now moving into lagers with my newfound temperature control.  I also fitted my 7 gallon conical with the same setup, except only 2 peltier chips instead of 4.  I have way less in this build than buying a pre-made peltier cooled fermenter.  Cheers!

COOLING BLOCK WITH PELTIER CHIPS AND HEAT SINKS MOUNTED

FERMENTER SHOWING ONE OF TWO BLOCKS INSTALLED

FERMENTER MOSTLY INSULATED

CONTROLLER&POWER SUPPLY OUTSIDE BREWERY

BULLET PLUGS INSIDE BREWERY TO "PLUG IN" FERMENTER

ICE ON ALUMINUM BLOCK

ICE ON INSIDE OF FERMENTER
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:29:16 am by ddcurtis69 »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Peltier Cooled Conical
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:37 am »
cool (pardon the pun).

how's the power consumption? do you have anything between the chiller and the conical to improve thermal transfer?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:22:38 am »
cool (pardon the pun).

how's the power consumption? do you have anything between the chiller and the conical to improve thermal transfer?

I am not measuring power consumption, but am about as efficient as I can be I think.  I had the blocks lapped to make them very smooth and use heat sink thermal paste not only on both sides of the peltier chips, but also between the aluminum blocks and the conical.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:48:40 am »
I had no idea that Peltier coolers could do this.  What are the 4 Peltier coolers rated for power-wise?

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:08 am »
Sweet!

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
This is the same method of cooling as the MoreBeer heated/cooled conicals use.  I considered doing the same to my conical but the inefficiency and actual work involved kept me from doing it.  Good on you for actually doing it.  Def saves you a lot of space compared to an upright freezer like I use. lol
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »
I had no idea that Peltier coolers could do this.  What are the 4 Peltier coolers rated for power-wise?

They are approximately 180W max each.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:26 pm »
Nice. This is similar to the MoreBeer Ultimate Conical - dual peltiers to handle a hotter external climate. While I love mine and the ability to ferment at stable temps - it freaks out when the weather is hot and humid.

Something to keep an eye on - in humid environments the peltier can build ice which will reduce efficiency - and potentially create issues with the fans and heatsinks. You don't want ANY ice building up into a niche between the conical and the sink surface or creeping up to the fan. When cold crashing mine - I have to cycle the system in humid weather to make sure the ice doesn't create a problem about once a day for an hour. You may want to seal all of the edges with silicone to prevent moisture seep into the thermal paste - looks that way from the pics - but not sure.

Same issue with PC CPU peltiers - for the record.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 04:11:40 pm »
Nice. This is similar to the MoreBeer Ultimate Conical - dual peltiers to handle a hotter external climate. While I love mine and the ability to ferment at stable temps - it freaks out when the weather is hot and humid.

Something to keep an eye on - in humid environments the peltier can build ice which will reduce efficiency - and potentially create issues with the fans and heatsinks. You don't want ANY ice building up into a niche between the conical and the sink surface or creeping up to the fan. When cold crashing mine - I have to cycle the system in humid weather to make sure the ice doesn't create a problem about once a day for an hour. You may want to seal all of the edges with silicone to prevent moisture seep into the thermal paste - looks that way from the pics - but not sure.

Same issue with PC CPU peltiers - for the record.

Thanks for the tips. Fortunately mine is used in my basement where I don't have a lot of humidity swings from the house a/c. I'll keep an eye on it.

Offline brycel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:20:35 pm »
I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now, glad a ran across this thread.  I'm not too familiar with peltier devices. Do you simply apply one the opposite direction of the other to control both heating and cooling? Would the peltiers easily wire into a ranco type controller?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »
When it's humid they'll drip a lot of condensate. I love TEC's. This is the best example I've seen yet and makes far more sense than a glycol chiller.

The heat sink is key really. I'd like to see them even bigger. :)

If I sourced a conical this is what I'd want to use to control the temp.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:35 pm »
Where did you get the aluminum block?

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »
I've been thinking of doing something like this for a while now, glad a ran across this thread.  I'm not too familiar with peltier devices. Do you simply apply one the opposite direction of the other to control both heating and cooling? Would the peltiers easily wire into a ranco type controller?

From what I understand, you need to change the polarity of the peltiers to heat.  I did not do this but rather installed a 120v adhesive block heating pad to the conical to do the heating for me.  It was much simpler, and I believe cheaper, than switching polarity based on cool/heat need.  As for wiring, you power the peltiers with a computer power supply with 12v.  This power supply would then plug into the ranco type controller and the controller would turn on/off the power supply.  There are some wiring issues like jumpering wires on the power supply that you need to do.  I have all the details if you need them.

Offline ddcurtis69

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:07 pm »
Where did you get the aluminum block?

I was fortunate enough to have a friend of a friend who milled them for me free.  I bought the aluminum bar stock online.  You need to find someone with a CNC machine to do the milling.  There should be a shop with this equipment near you somewhere.

Offline brycel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:53 pm »

From what I understand, you need to change the polarity of the peltiers to heat.  I did not do this but rather installed a 120v adhesive block heating pad to the conical to do the heating for me.  It was much simpler, and I believe cheaper, than switching polarity based on cool/heat need.  As for wiring, you power the peltiers with a computer power supply with 12v.  This power supply would then plug into the ranco type controller and the controller would turn on/off the power supply.  There are some wiring issues like jumpering wires on the power supply that you need to do.  I have all the details if you need them.

Great, thanks. If it's not a big deal for you to send over the details on the wiring, that would be awesome. Electrical is not my area of expertise by a long shot so any help I could get would be a huge help!