Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Wet Hopping"  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: "Wet Hopping"
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:09:25 pm »
When I dry hop in the keg I first put the muslin hop socks in the rice cooker and steam "autoclave" them for about 30 minutes. Might not be necessary but it makes me feel better. Never  know where a hop sock has been.

For me, dry hops in the fermenter are pellets no bags whenever possible and in the keg it's whole hops in sterilized muslin socks. I really don't like using pellets in the keg even in a sock unless I'm not concerned with clarity. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 12:37:46 pm »
If you want to keep the yeast, rack to secondary then add the dry hops. If you don't care to keep the yeast, throw em' in when the beer is done and the yeast drops. I do both pretty evenly.

I've found that they yeast can have not so good effects on dry hops, so these days I rack to secondary for dry hopping whether I intend to reuse the yeast or not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:03 pm »
If you want to keep the yeast, rack to secondary then add the dry hops. If you don't care to keep the yeast, throw em' in when the beer is done and the yeast drops. I do both pretty evenly.

I've found that they yeast can have not so good effects on dry hops, so these days I rack to secondary for dry hopping whether I intend to reuse the yeast or not.

Yep.  The old conventional wisdom was to add to primary as krausen subsided. I did it for years. This works much better. Better, longer lasting aroma IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:05 pm »

I have not noticed a difference, but have not tried side by side either. Next time I do 10 gallons of something dry hopped, I'll do it both ways and see what I think.