Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dissent with Style  (Read 10199 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Dissent with Style
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:31 pm »
Bought a mix match 12 pack of Sam Adams. I saw that one is an IPA. About to open one so o thought I'd read the label.

Whitewater IPA...
Wheat ale brewed with apricots and spices

Lol!!!! I see Koch smelling hops then tossing in orange peels and coriander instead, then cracking open a New Belgium as he throws darts at a poster of Vinie and Gordon.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Dissent with Style
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »
Actually it's not bad.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 06:03:08 am »

Whitewater IPA...

Yeah, 'IPA' is evidently getting to be a loose term to Jim Koch. Tried the new Rebel IPA last week. It was fresh - smelled and tasted like a Pale Ale at best.

Jon H.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:07:49 am »
2008 BJCP Style Guidelines
Category 16 — Belgian and French Ale

16E. Belgian Specialty Ale

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/174/?start=50

Beeradvocate has over 650 examples of the style in this list alone.  Some pretty prominent brewers......

Belgian IPA

Description:
Inspired by the American India Pale Ale (IPA) and Double IPA, more and more Belgian brewers are brewing hoppy pale colored ales for the US market (like Chouffe & Urthel), and there's been an increase of Belgian IPAs being brewed by American brewers. Generally, Belgian IPAs are considered too hoppy by Belgian beer drinkers.

Various malts are used, but the beers of the style are finished with Belgian yeast strains (bottle-conditioned)  and the hops employed tend to be American.  You'll generally find a cleaner bitterness vs. American styles, and a pronounced dry edge (very Belgian), often akin to an IPA crossed with a Belgian Tripel.  Alcohol by volume is on the high side. Many examples are quite cloudy, and feature tight lacing, excellent retention, and fantastic billowy heads that  mesmerize (thanks, in part, to the hops).

Belgian IPA is still very much a style in development.
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:18:06 am »

Whitewater IPA...

Yeah, 'IPA' is evidently getting to be a loose term to Jim Koch. Tried the new Rebel IPA last week. It was fresh - smelled and tasted like a Pale Ale at best.
I'd say more like we're all starting to expect our IPAs to taste like double IPAs. Lupulin threshold shift and all...
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:53 am »
the whitewater ipa is actually not bad.
i think double ipa's are better in general
Don AHA member

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:25:23 am »

Whitewater IPA...

I'd say more like we're all starting to expect our IPAs to taste like double IPAs. Lupulin threshold shift and all...

Yep.  I looked at the specs on Rebel and they fall right in line with an American IPA style. 

I do love an "American IPA" that get's out of bounds on the hops though!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:27:23 am »

Whitewater IPA...

I don't disagree. There has to be some of that at work, but the Rebel, especially calling itself a 'West Coast' style IPA is pretty...umm....mild.
Jon H.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:05 am »

Whitewater IPA...

It's that American penchant for all things subtle.  ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 08:06:32 am »

I don't disagree. There has to be some of that at work, but the Rebel, especially calling itself a 'West Coast' style IPA is pretty...umm....mild.
Any particular part that you thought was mild? bitterness? flavor? everything? My impression of west coast IPA's was an emphasis on hops with restrained malt and bitterness. But also, that there was a wide variety in IPA at each brewery too - from tame to sucker punch. It could be that that's what stood out the most as different from east coast IPA's.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10:53 am »

Any particular part that you thought was mild? bitterness? flavor? everything? My impression of west coast IPA's was an emphasis on hops with restrained malt and bitterness. But also, that there was a wide variety in IPA at each brewery too - from tame to sucker punch. It could be that that's what stood out the most as different from east coast IPA's.

Low bitterness and hop flavor IMO. The malt base was restrained and dry as expected, but very little hoppiness. West Coast APA would be more accurate, I guess.

EDIT  -  I perceive their IPL as being a hoppier, better overall beer. Pretty good for the $$.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:24:37 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:34:58 am »

Low bitterness and hop flavor IMO. The malt base was restrained and dry as expected, but very little hoppiness. West Coast APA would be more accurate, I guess.

EDIT  -  I perceive their IPL as being a hoppier, better overall beer. Pretty good for the $$.

I actually thought the Rebel was a decent IPA. It's definitely not "OMGWTFBBQ!!1!!!1!1!one!!11!!! HOOOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!" level of hopping, but the bitterness was on par with an IPA and there was a decent level of hops to it. In the ballpark of Stone IPA, not "Enjoy by IPA".
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:39:55 am »

I actually thought the Rebel was a decent IPA. It's definitely not "OMGWTFBBQ!!1!!!1!1!one!!11!!! HOOOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!" level of hopping, but the bitterness was on par with an IPA and there was a decent level of hops to it. In the ballpark of Stone IPA, not "Enjoy by IPA".

Guess I better try another. I heard it's a little hoppier on tap. Don't know if it's true. But the bottle I tried didn't make me think of Stone.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:04:46 am »
Guess I better try another. I heard it's a little hoppier on tap. Don't know if it's true. But the bottle I tried didn't make me think of Stone.

Maybe we get it in better condition up my way. Sammy gets a pretty quick turnaround in my area and it's pretty much cold the whole time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:45 am »
I didn't care much for the rebel IPA either. Thought it was a bit harsh in the bittering.