Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grainy Pils flavor  (Read 4511 times)

Offline flask1

• 1st Kit
Grainy Pils flavor
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:35:33 am »
Does the grainy flavor in a pilsner come from sparging or is it just in the malt's flavor?

Could you make a no sparge pilsner?

Thanks,
Flask

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Grainy Pils flavor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:21 am »
it comes from the malt. you should could make a no sparge pilsner.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:15 am »
I always figured pilsner malt has a slightly honey-like flavor that you get from no other malt.  I love it.  Yeah, it's from the malt itself, not from the sparge or process.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:24:00 pm »
I always figured pilsner malt has a slightly honey-like flavor that you get from no other malt.  I love it.  Yeah, it's from the malt itself, not from the sparge or process.

I always get grape. but you are right, it's unique as far as my experience goes. it's the only reason I don't just use pale malt for everything.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:09 pm »

I always get grape. but you are right, it's unique as far as my experience goes. it's the only reason I don't just use pale malt for everything.

With Weyermann, I get grass/hay.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:48:23 pm »

hmm. maybe I'll have to give that a try at some point seems like it would go well in a farmhouse with some herbal noble hops or pacific gem. I love blackberries because one of the really subtle notes I get is warm summer hay fields and the PG throws a fair amount of blackberry to my taste.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 04:08:34 pm »

Me too. Grainy/grass/hay. In a good way.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »
I get feed store but in a great way

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:01:58 pm »
Is the grassy/hay of a wet variety or dry?

I obviously have no palate for this craft, given these levels of perception.  I thought Weyermanns always produced a nice malty lager or pilsner, as long as I didn't use a grassy hop!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline flask1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:18:19 pm »
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the insight.

Flask

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »
Flask - a lot of us were having some fun.  That's what happens on this forum when guys get into the hobby to the level that some of us are at....your question was a good one and deserves an honest answer, so forgive me and anyone else who went sideways with a humorous or not so humorous response.

I think everyone would say that pilsner malt lends a bit of "graininess" to a wort as compared to some other 2 row malts, but graininess is subjective, so as Denny says - he perceives it as hay/ grassiness for Weyermann's  pilsner malt, but probably prefers Best Malz for a pilsner malt.  I have used a lot of different malt and currently may favor Avengard pilsner over some others, but some may like Weyermanns for its flavor, despite the hay.  All said and done, you are probably right that pilsner malt of a manufacturer is a little more grainy than another malt of the same maltster.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Ya its hard to translate some flavor/aromas to words that work. I understand grass if its a dried out mature grass and you're only tastung the kernels. I guess that would be grain though. I think pils, especially continental, is like pale malt minus the kilned processed aspect.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 07:17:20 am »
Some of the flavors you are talking about might come from tannins and in that case, perhaps, (forgive me Denny) you might get a more traditional grainy flavor from fly sparging. Maybe. I'm not saying that is the case for sure but I have wondered in the past. Same with decoction mashing. You may get more tannin character out of decoction mashing which may translate to more grainy flavor.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:22 am »
There are certain flavors I get in German Pilsners I brew. Durst malt would give an no salt saltine cracker flavor. The Avangard Pils I just have on tap is very "white bread" in the white, not the crust. Weyermann is more neutral to me, but I have enough noble hops that it would be hard to tell if it is the hops or malt that would give grassy flavor or aroma.

When I had Pivo Pils at Firestone Walker - that had a grainy flavor in the finish. My guess is that they use a NA 2 row pils malt for that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »
Firestone has said, at least in the past, that Pivo is 100% German malt.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/firestone-walker-pivo-pils-preliminary-details/