Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Consensus while judging?  (Read 11465 times)

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
Re: Consensus while judging?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »

At the NHC in Orlando I was alerted to a pair of score sheets that gave a beer a score of 12 (I think) with very few comments on the sheet other than "some oxidized notes."  The two judges were nationally known and respected.  As competition organizer I asked one of them if there was anything else about it that made it score so low.  When the answer was "no" I got another BJCP National and we rejudged the beer so we wouldn't have to explain the bad score sheets to the entrant.  I think we gave it a 33.  Good beer with a minor flaw.
I don't mind seeing low scores, but there had better be a lot of writing to explain it.

Now that's a good competition organizer. 
"I'm in charge, this isn't right, and I'm not putting my name on something where an entrant is treated like this"

Exactly my thoughts! Good work Jeffy.

+1

There's no excuse for that kind of "judging". Give feedback or don't bother judging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:06 pm »

At the NHC in Orlando I was alerted to a pair of score sheets that gave a beer a score of 12 (I think) with very few comments on the sheet other than "some oxidized notes."  The two judges were nationally known and respected.  As competition organizer I asked one of them if there was anything else about it that made it score so low.  When the answer was "no" I got another BJCP National and we rejudged the beer so we wouldn't have to explain the bad score sheets to the entrant.  I think we gave it a 33.  Good beer with a minor flaw.
I don't mind seeing low scores, but there had better be a lot of writing to explain it.

Now that's a good competition organizer. 
"I'm in charge, this isn't right, and I'm not putting my name on something where an entrant is treated like this"

Exactly my thoughts! Good work Jeffy.

+1

There's no excuse for that kind of "judging". Give feedback or don't bother judging.

That's bull.  I just judged a competition of commercial brewers and there were some surprisingly bad ones for commercial brewers and I highly doubt they really cared what I had to say about making improvements but I still gave it because that's what I'm there for.  Are they going to make dramatic changes based on my amateur comments when they are making a living making beer, doubtful and maybe they just wanted a score to get a medal for marketing purposes but like I said, that's not what I'm there for.

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
Well, we're discussing homebrew competitions. Homebrewers do want feedback.

If you're too lazy to do it right, don't judge.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »
Well, we're discussing homebrew competitions. Homebrewers do want feedback.

If you're too lazy to do it right, don't judge.

Sorry, I was referring to the 12 without comments when I said "That's bull", not your post if thats what you thought.  I'm saying feedback is a must regardless although I thought that was a bit clearer in my comments.

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »
Sorry. Misunderstanding.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2014, 04:23:47 pm »
No problem.  I was trying to say I'm giving feedback whether they want it or not. 

Offline dixonmike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 04:59:55 pm »
Gotcha

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 05:00:31 pm »
I judged an onion stout (not a BJCP comp) that tasted like rotten onions. Apparently the brewer sautéed onions in butter then added it to his beer. I tried my best to look past the rotten onion flavor & aroma and as far as I could tell the base beer was OK. As was said before... Some things should not be used in beer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline YooperBrew

• Cellarman
  • Beer Geek
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »
I hated that beer so very very much. :)

Are you serious?  I thought that you were kidding.  Who would brew a tomatoweizen?  Better yet, who would enter it in a contest?

Wow, I thought it was a joke too. There's pushing the brewing envelope, and then there's just brewing s^%t.
After black garlic stout, I think nothing is a joke.

Let's see.  I judged a "wild" stout competition, and had a French Onion Soup stout, Rosemary Stout (tasted like lamb roast), a creme brulee' stout, and a few others than I've permanently blocked from my brain.

Of those, the French Onion Soup Stout was the grossest.  It gushed, it stank of onions, and it tasted amazingly like French onion soup without the cheese. 

Never, ever, think that any beer is too gross or weird to be entered into competition.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:34 pm »
Kuhnhenn's makes a creme brulee' stout that is a-maze-ing.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Consensus while judging?
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

So does southern tier. It's somewhere around $10 a bomber. Too much for me to risk it.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:19 pm »

So does southern tier. It's somewhere around $10 a bomber. Too much for me to risk it.
I've had that one too, it's quite good as well.  Worth $10 since it's basically 10%... bring a friend lol
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »

It's well worth the $10.  A little on the sweet side, but fantastic for a nightcap
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 11:39:16 pm »
It's well worth the $10.  A little on the sweet side, but fantastic for a nightcap
Agreed, great beer.  Sweet and strong, so it would be hard to drink 22 oz by yourself, that's why ...
bring a friend
;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:28 am »
Agreed, great beer.  Sweet and strong, so it would be hard to drink 22 oz by yourself, that's why ...
bring a friend
;)

Luckily the wife enjoys beer as much as I do so we go splits on the bombers  ;)

Quite the tangent on a beer scoring thread
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson