Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leery of dry hopping with homegrown  (Read 6072 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Leery of dry hopping with homegrown
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:39 pm »
I am racking a Belgian IPA to keg today.  I used tons of homegrown cascade hops to brew it.  I was planning on dry hopping with cascade as well, only with pellets.  Well, I forgot to get some.  I have only dry hopped with homegrown hops once.  It was a barley wine.  It tasted excellent before I dry hopped it.  It later developed some oxidation, a salty kind of character.  Now whether that was from the hops or it had been there all along and just became more noticeable later I don't know.

I had another experience using homegrown ingredients added post ferment that went awry as well.  I added some dry heather to a heather ale to "dry herb" it.  I ended up with an unitinentional sour ale.

Am I just being paranoid about adding homegrown ingredients post ferment or do others also not add anything if it won't be boiled?
Dave Brush

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Leery of dry hopping with homegrown
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »
All I can tell ya is that I've dry hopped dozens of batches with homegrown hops and never had a problem from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:42:26 pm »
My experience is like Denny's.  Actually my homegrown hops give a good aroma.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:51:42 pm »
Agree with Denny and Jeff . . The only thing that I can think of that would cause the issue you are talking is the way the HG hops were handled . . either picked too early or not dried sufficiently.

If you are still worried, you can still order some Cascades and dry hop when they arrive. Shouldn't matter if there's a couple of days delay.   
Just brew it...

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:18:43 pm »
Well, getting some pellets is no problem.  I can go the homebrew shop this week.  I guess I would kind of like to use the homegrown but jut needed some reassurance.

I am partly suspect because of how I have them stored.  They are completely and totally dried.  I am not worried about that.  I have an oast setup.  No heat, just air.  However once they are mostly dry in there I transfer them to a large food dehydrator and finish the job at about 95F.

I have not found a great way to store yet.  I have been using those reynolds and or ziplock vaccuum bags.  They are pretty hit or miss as many can attest.  They slowly leak (sometimes quickly) and let air in.  I store them in the freezer.  Generally I suck the air out of the main bag and then put them into another bag and squeeze as much air out of that.

So, I guess I am concerned about oxidation from that or other possible contaminants.  Part of me sees this is ridiculous though, as the commercial hops I buy are likely subjected to just as much mistreatment.  I guess it is just those two circumstances that have me bothered.
Dave Brush

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37:08 am »
Part of me sees this is ridiculous though, as the commercial hops I buy are likely subjected to just as much mistreatment. 

Having seen how hops are handled from the farm through the packing, I daresay that yours probably receive a lot more care!  I think you'd be surprised to see one of those operations in action.

As to storage, get yourself a vacuum sealer.  I bought  on for the hops, but it's amazing how often I use it for other stuff, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:32:40 pm »
Part of me sees this is ridiculous though, as the commercial hops I buy are likely subjected to just as much mistreatment. 

Having seen how hops are handled from the farm through the packing, I daresay that yours probably receive a lot more care!  I think you'd be surprised to see one of those operations in action.

As to storage, get yourself a vacuum sealer.  I bought  on for the hops, but it's amazing how often I use it for other stuff, too.

I would like to get a vacuum sealer.  I just have not found one that a majority of people say is worthwhile.  They all seem to have their issues.  Even the ones that are a couple hundred bucks!
Dave Brush

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:26 am »
I would like to get a vacuum sealer.  I just have not found one that a majority of people say is worthwhile.  They all seem to have their issues.  Even the ones that are a couple hundred bucks!

I bought a bottom of the line Foodsaver for about $50 on sale.  I've been using it at least 5 years and have no complaints.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:02:01 am »

I bought a bottom of the line Foodsaver for about $50 on sale.  I've been using it at least 5 years and have no complaints.

+1

Vacuum sealing is a great way to go with hops. I also have a Foodsaver. It's easy to use and helps prevent oxidation as well as keeps the hops fresher longer. I vacuum seal and freeze all of my hops.

I think you should be OK with using homegrown hops as long as they were properly dried and stored.
Ron Price

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:19 pm »
+2 on the foodsaver....mine is sticky and yellow ;)

I don't think there is cause to worry about contamination
via homegrown dryhop post fermentation.

Just use hops that smell really pungent, and not just any old homegrown.
eg, I have some Goldings that never develop any aroma...I never use them.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 04:04:02 pm »
Alright I did it.  Put 20 g in a hop sack in the keg.  If it goes foul I blame it on all of you!!

:-*

;D
Dave Brush

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »
I just saw this thread. Since I keg my beer, I dry hopped for the first time a little while back.
I took a different approach, I put the dry hop ball and hops in a sanatized keg with a lil distilled water
enough to cover the hop ball.....Then since the beer is a delicate pilsner and I don't want any O2 or light
problems, I carbonated the water/hop keg with CO2  after that got carbed, I then transferred keg to keg
the beer into the water+hop Keg.  I have tasted one sample pull from this keg, and it seems nice so far.
It is still lagering for a couple more weeks.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:28:23 am »
I just want to pile on...Foodsaver is the best investment I have ever made in my brewhouse/kitchen.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 05:52:06 am »
Foodsaver users . . how do you vacuum seal your hops in terms of quantity? bulk or batch size . . or some of both?

Since I don't own a vacuum sealer, but am entertaining the idea, I assume once you open a sealed bag and use only a portion, you can reseal and purge the same bag again?
Just brew it...

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 06:46:17 am »
So what is the model name/number of the foodsaver you folks would recommend?
Dave Brush