Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noob judge observations  (Read 11311 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Noob judge observations
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:37:07 am »
I'm switching from nightshift to day and in a hotel, so can't sleep. Thought I'd share a couple things I learned in my first experience judging.

I was welcomed in to the group and put to work just like I was always supposed to be there. My wife was a steward and had a ball. She felt right at home too. I'm even more appreciative of that. Great people in Seattle!

We used cued judging and the newish checkbox judging sheet. I'll bet some entrants won't be happy with that, thinking it's lazy, but I was quickly glad for it. Especially when we were still judging at 930 Friday night.

I tried to write helpful comments though it wasn't always easy. I found myself thinking that it's unreasonable for brewers to rely too heavily on score sheets to teach them how to brew. Perhaps some value if they are able to interpret and make their own adjustments.

I had little idea of what to expect for quality or scores. After 8 or so Stouts, 10 or so Porters, and a dozen American Ales, (a large enough number to get a feel) I found most were fairly well made. Only three or four had serious issues. None were gag reflex undrinkable.  The numbers were what struck me. I didn't keep a tally but most were mid to high 20s. Only about 10% broke the 40 mark. I think our highest was 42. So I now think 35 and up is something to be happy with. I suppose it depends on your level of skill and experience though.

I was very leery that I'd be worth a darn as a judge. But I found that with very few exceptions my initial perception was accurate and my scores were usually within 3-4 points of the experienced/real judges. I'm looking forward to the judging exam now. It will be a reward to sit on a BOS some day.

I need to have a stack of score sheets at home and practice more. I think it's a balance between quality feedback and speed.

I don't know how my own entries did. Having judged now, I think I'll be far less critical of my score sheets than if I didn't know what it was like to sit there and actually do it. Expecting a well written score sheet from a National judge, with multiple brewing tips, is simply unreasonable. If all judges did that, it would be a 3 day event minimum. I don't think I could do it even if you paid me. On that note, I was extremely impressed with the quality of people who volunteer for this job. Kudos!

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped make a very fun and educational weekend for both my wife and for me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:47:06 am by denny »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Noon judge observations
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:39:00 am »
Thread title should be Noob not noon, dag nabbed auto text.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:50:39 am »
Here's Terri getting her feet wet Friday. Steve gave her a pile of chores and she jumped right in. Blurry cuz no one was doing much standing around.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:34:17 am »
Welcome to the joys of judging!

If you have been on nights, then midnight IS like your noon!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:05:23 am »
Yup. Insomnia bites

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:52 am »
An interesting perspective Jim.  I have neither judged nor had a beer I brewed judged.  I am going to start a BJCP class in a week or so though.  Whether I end up getting certified or not, it will be a good education I'm sure.

I'm glad it was a good experience for you.  Thanks for the insight.  Now get some sleep.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 06:36:04 am »
Heading home. I'll sleep good tonight ready for day nonsense all over again

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
Interesting to hear, Jim.  And welcome back to normal circadian rhythms to your days... :)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Noob judge observations
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:44 am »
Good on ya, Jim!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:14:01 am »
Thanks Denny  I was looking for you too, but not so lucky I guess.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:55 am »
I am not a judge. But, I do appreciate the work judges put in to score beer. I use the comments on the sheets to make my beer better. Therefore, i appreciate your comments. Thanks!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:20 am »
I have A LOT to learn. But it will be fun getting there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 11:36:15 am »

For health reasons, I don't judge much any more, Jim.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:17:41 pm »

I understand. I'll eventually run into you somewhere also

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »

I understand. I'll eventually run into you somewhere also

I ga-ron-dam-tee it, sir!

www.dennybrew.com