Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: spent grains  (Read 22808 times)

Offline valorian

• 1st Kit
    • Forest City Brewers
Re: spent grains
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2009, 07:27:30 am »
I give them to my wife and she makes Peanut Butter dog biscuits. It's a funny site when I give her the grains, my dogs go nuts. They know when I giver her the grains that she's going to be making biscuits.

My dogs also love eating the raw barley too. It's not a bad snack while brewing to chew on a few.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2009, 07:39:27 am »
I toss mine in the trash since I don't have much of a yard.  I should start saving them for someone else to compost.

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 08:52:44 am »
I currently feed mine to the chickens, but I'm interested in some spent grain bread recipes. Can anyone share some.
Sorry, but I've a bunch for spent chickens. :)

Lest I start getting a reputation for being a smart a$$, I'd better offer some real answers here:

Oster Bread Machine Spent Grain Recipe
1/4 cup filtered water, nuke for 15 sec (90°F)1 1/2 tsp bread yeast. hydrate for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile:

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 pt spent grain (stout works the best)
2 Tbsp sugar (cane not corn)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Basil grind fine with mortar and pestle
1 Tbsp Oregano   ditto
2 Tbsp Olive oil (oregano or red pepper infused if possible)
1 egg
1/4 cup milk nuked for 15 seconds

Set to 1P medium crust
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:01:35 am by stout_fan »
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline Steverino

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2009, 11:08:08 am »
I currently feed mine to the chickens, but I'm interested in some spent grain bread recipes. Can anyone share some.

I just use my standard bread machine recipe, but substitute about a third of the flour with spent malt.

My standard recipe is:

1 1/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups flour
1-2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp yeast
Beer makes you feel the way you should without beer.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:57 pm »
don't give them to your dogs - I think they get a visit from "Rheeah" if they eat too much - I've never tried it.

you can make them into bicuits for dogs, but I never got around to trying it.
My dogs used to eat them off the top of the compost heap and it never bothered them.  I was always careful to dump the hops in the front yard where the dogs wouldn't get to them.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »
don't give them to your dogs - I think they get a visit from "Rheeah" if they eat too much - I've never tried it.

you can make them into bicuits for dogs, but I never got around to trying it.
My dogs used to eat them off the top of the compost heap and it never bothered them.  I was always careful to dump the hops in the front yard where the dogs wouldn't get to them.

interesting.

you know, they've never really been interested in the mash tun with the spent grains, and i usually bag it up shortly after, but I've read so many stories of the after effects that I've never wanted to experiment myself  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:21 pm »
I compost mine, the neighborhood dogs used to be on alert when I would fire up the kettle. Now I am nicer to my neighbors, and made a cover for my compost pile. I will admit it made me chuckle watching the dogs stuff themselves, then go home and........ ;D

Offline syv_jeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 03:17:05 pm »
Thanks Steverino and Stout_Fan. I appreciate it

Offline ne-brewer

• 1st Kit
  • Aurora, NE
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 03:53:05 pm »
I give them to my wife and she makes Peanut Butter dog biscuits. It's a funny site when I give her the grains, my dogs go nuts. They know when I giver her the grains that she's going to be making biscuits.

My dogs also love eating the raw barley too. It's not a bad snack while brewing to chew on a few.

We do the same! My dog also goes nuts over them. His favorite treat was always liver/garlic cookies till he got a taste of the peanut butter barly grain cookies.

I mill my grains in the driveway just outside the garage door and my dog always races over to lick up the grains and "dust" from the concrete afterwards ... he apparently has a liking for the grain also.

Simple recipe.... 3 cups grains, 2 cups whole wheat flour, 2 eggs, and a cup of peanut butter. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Found the reicpe on a vet website.
Roger
-------------------------------
Keg#1: Honey Blonde
Keg#2: Jamil's Mild (dark)
Keg#3: Jamil's Nut Brown
Keg#4: Hefeweizen
Keg#5: Amber-Simple-Malty
Keg#6: empty
Fermenting: Moose Drool
Next: Dunkelweizen?

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 05:18:50 pm »

Ha! My Barley goes nuts too, but funny, so does the wife! She somehow totally enjoys spending the day making them! She knows when I am usually done sparging and she will come out and scoop out 5 or 6 heaping (brewery) spoonfuls from the mash tun and freeze them...

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:34 am »
I usually bag up 10 cups of grain to use for bread and the rest goes on the garden.
618 Country - Southern Illinois

Offline richt

• Cellarman
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »
Compost bin for me.  I just started composting a month or so ago when I went all grain but didn't think twice about throwing the hops and trub in there too.  Will I have a problem with my compost not breaking down?
On Tap: IPA, Amber, Emma's Brown, Barleywine
Fermenting/Conditioning: Sour project, Bourbon barrel Barleywine, Kit IPA
http://www.razebrewing.com
http://adventuresinhomebrew.blogspot.com

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 03:20:52 pm »
Compost bin for me.  I just started composting a month or so ago when I went all grain but didn't think twice about throwing the hops and trub in there too.  Will I have a problem with my compost not breaking down?

You will have no problems my friend... Hops will compost just fine. However, just make sure that there are no dogs in the area. As you may know, hops and dogs DO NOT mix.

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2009, 05:02:26 pm »
Since you're using a bin, just make sure you aerate the layers well.  When I add hops and trub and spent grains to my bin (being very careful so that the dog can't lap any up) I find that the mix is very wet.  Generally you need to add more "browns" at that point, plus a lot of air.  This wet glump has an easy fix at this time of year for much of the country:  just add a bunch of ground up leaves to your bin, along with some small sticks if you have them, and you'll keep your bin at a good "green" to "brown" ratio.  The sticks help keep the air entrenched in the mix.
Good luck.  Your plants and garden will enjoy the great compost you'll make,
Gail

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »
I split it between composting and leaving it out for the birds and deer to hit.  I hope to have chickens next year so I will try that