Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Victory Swing - Session Saison  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Victory Swing - Session Saison
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:51 am »
Ew.  I really wanted this to be good.  It is not.

Almost no aroma.  Almost no flavor other than "soapy" followed by a lingering hop bitterness.

If I brewed this, I would be disappointed.  And it actually reminds me of a light lager that I brewed a number of years ago that I dumped.

I gave the glass to my wife, she said "it tastes like soap."  I poured it out. I have five in the fridge for anyone who wants them.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

Victory Swing - Session Saison
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:17 am »
It's hard to make a good low ABV saison. I mash mine at 158 and it still finishes at 1.004. I also increase my flavor/aroma hops by 50% from what I would normally use.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Victory Swing - Session Saison
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:16 am »
I struggle making low ABV beers I really enjoy, in general.  But I've made a pretty good very simple low ABV saison.  I believe I used T-58.  Came out great.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:45 pm »
Victory is one of my favorite breweries. I will try anything from them. But I agree with you, this is not a good beer. I gave the rest of the beers away to someone. I maybe didn't like them?

I kind of think that making a low abv saison is not that hard myself. 3711 throws so much character off that is tastes nice and refreshing everytime I make one.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:28 pm »
3711 throws so much character off that is tastes nice and refreshing everytime I make one.

Yes.  Swing is so lifeless it makes me think they used whatever house yeast they have and called it a saison.  I'm a big fan of many of their beers, so this was very disappointing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:33:15 pm »
That's disappointing to hear, especially from such a good brewery. I agree, it sounds like they didn't use a saison strain. Saison yeast doesn't normally make 'lifeless' beer, even at cooler temps.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:00 pm »
I use 3711 myself, but if I don't mash high it tastes like it is watered down and boring.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »
Bummed to hear about the Victory Saison, but you can't brew a saison without a true saison yeast, IMO. I'm guessing they're probably just using their Golden Monkey yeast on this.

I use 3711 myself, but if I don't mash high it tastes like it is watered down and boring.

Interesting. I have a hard time picturing a watered down/boring beer from 3711. Everything that yeast touches turns to gold for me. My Saison goes from 1.040 down to 1.004 or so, but still has a great mouthfeel. I do mash at 158 for that one, but I don't have to go up to 162 like I do for most other session beers - the yeast leaves behind a nice mouthfeel on its own. My tips are to target a low mash pH (5.2) and carbonate highly. It comes out like a dry white wine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer