Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BrewJacket  (Read 3201 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
BrewJacket
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:16 am »
http://www.brewjacket.com/

This seems to a very cool little device for 5 gallon batches.  I wish they made one for my 1bbl system. 

They are doing a demo at NHC. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BrewJacket
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:27 am »
The rod that goes in the beer is made of anodized Aluminum. Isn't aluminum bad post kettle? Maybe the anodizing makes it ok?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:50 am »
Im afraid to ask how much

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:06 am »
$300

What is up with people on Kickstarter selling t-shirts for $50?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:07 am »
$300

What is up with people on Kickstarter selling t-shirts for $50?

Seriously. The last thing I need is another t-shirt. Much less one that costs $50.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »
Remember, they arnt selling tshirts for 50 bucks.  they are asking for a 50$ donation from you and in return they will give you cool swag in tshirt form. 
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:11:37 pm »
Well they are actually selling tshirts for $50... The vast majority of kickstarter campaigns that price their rewards too high like this fail.  Usually if they have a tshirt in the $15-$20 range they would be much better off... Though usually what people really want is the product at a reasonable rate... I have bought maybe 15 things off of Kickstarter.. It's cool, but there is also a significant delay in receiving your items if the item is the one they are hoping to produce. 

Basically what I mean is the best campaigns sell stuff to raise money and the ones that try and raise money via 'donations' tend to be the ones that fail.

$300 is still too much for me to buy this thing.  I could see possibly doing it for like $150.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:14:55 pm »
With that said I'm glad they didn't fail this time.  I spoke with them quite a bit at the NHC last year, but then their campaign failed last year... This time around they did make some improvements to the actual product and it's price I think.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:15 pm »
I gotta question how well it works.  It says that it can take your wort    "down to 35F below ambient IN A MATTER OF DAYS and hold it there".     We all know the first 2 or 3 days of fermentation are really critical, in terms of temp control. Seems that there would have to be a lot of trial and error, to be anywhere near as accurate as just setting a controller on a fridge and letting it go.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »
I gotta question how well it works.  It says that it can take your wort    "down to 35F below ambient IN A MATTER OF DAYS and hold it there".     We all know the first 2 or 3 days of fermentation are really critical, in terms of temp control. Seems that there would have to be a lot of trial and error, to be anywhere near as accurate as just setting a controller on a fridge and letting it go.
I think that is intended for cold crashing your beer.  You should be chilling the wort down to pitching temp before going into your fermenter.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:48:04 pm »
I think that is intended for cold crashing your beer.  You should be chilling the wort down to pitching temp before going into your fermenter.

No, chilling to pitching temps was a given to me. It just seems that its premise is cooling 'X' degrees below ambient, as opposed to setting and holding a temp. Maybe not. Think I'll pass anyway.
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:32 pm »
it operates by holding a temp you set.. but if you are trying to actually cool it to X temp it will take days to drop 35 degrees is what it's saying.  So if you chill your wort down to 50F and pitch you would then set the thing to 50F and it would maintain that.  At the end of that you could drop the temp to cold crash or lager it (within their 35F range...)
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 12:56:32 pm »
Gotcha, cool.

EDIT - My bad, never hurts to click on the details link.       :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:07:30 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:25 pm »

Wouldn't work for me. I depend on my ability to drop the wort in the fermenter from ~85 to pitching temps in a few hours. Just not possible to reach 64 much less 50 with 70 degree tap water.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

Wouldn't work for me. I depend on my ability to drop the wort in the fermenter from ~85 to pitching temps in a few hours. Just not possible to reach 64 much less 50 with 70 degree tap water.
Yeah I have no clue how long that would take for this thing to drop it down from like 75 (I'm assuming you don't get the wort to the water temp) to 60 or 50.. Both are less than their 35 drop that they say will take days... but not but a whole lot.. though I imagine those temps as you get closer to their limit would take much longer.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"