Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: saison mash  (Read 18203 times)

narvin

Re: saison mash
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 01:59:48 pm »

And if you can't get a Saison to dry out using an all malt grainbill then you are either A, having fermentation issues, or B, only make strong saisons. I personally prefer a lower gravity saison and it's quite easy to get an all malt grainbill in the 1.040s to finish at or below 1.005 without sugar. Usually a long and low single infusion mash is all that is necessary. If, on the other hand, I am trying to make something stronger, then sure, simple sugar is the way to do it and still have a dry product. But it's far from a requirement in every Saison brewed.

I agree completely.  My last all-malt Saison went from 1.055 to 1.004 with the Dupont yeast.  6.7%, dry, and delicious!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:42 am »

Next, try getting Siason dry enough without the sugar additions.....It won't happen.

Now that's  just funny and so wrong at the same time.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:22:33 am by uthristy »

Offline pjj2ba

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:11 pm »
I like White Labs Saison II strain, which is supposedly also from Dupont (correct?)  This strain has been a champ and has churned through some big beers typically finishing out around 1.006-7.  This is with all malt brews with no sugars added

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:01 am »
I thought adding a little sugar was typical of Belgian brews?   ;D  hehehe

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:55 am »
I thought adding a little sugar was typical of Belgian brews?   ;D  hehehe
It certainly can be, depending on the style, but it's far from a requirement. Especially in a Saison.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:12 am »
I made a Saison using 14 pounds of Belgian Pils and 1 Pound of Demerara Sugar.  Mashed at 144 for 90 minutes, added the sugar late in the boild.  Used wlp 565 Saison I.  Went from 1.072 to 1.027 in like 4 days and then it took over a month in the hot garage to get it to 1.002.  It did turn out dry and great.  I am going to brew this style again and I will use the approach described in Farm House Ales for a more fermentable wort.  I'll always use a little sugar to dry it otr.

Cheers,

Richie 

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:09 am »
Got one fermenting as we speak. Zero sugar. OG was 1.049, which is still higher than I intended. Oh well

narvin

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37:28 pm »
I made a Saison using 14 pounds of Belgian Pils and 1 Pound of Demerara Sugar.  Mashed at 144 for 90 minutes, added the sugar late in the boild.  Used wlp 565 Saison I.  Went from 1.072 to 1.027 in like 4 days and then it took over a month in the hot garage to get it to 1.002.  It did turn out dry and great.  I am going to brew this style again and I will use the approach described in Farm House Ales for a more fermentable wort.  I'll always use a little sugar to dry it otr.

Cheers,

Richie  

If you are making a 1.072 OG Saison, I'd agree that some sugar is necessary to dry it out.  But if you are looking at the traditional Saison style (not the American interpretation), this is much too high of an OG, so you're already in "Super-Saison" territory.

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:47 pm »
You are correct.  Super Saison Territory it is.  Either way, easy to make and tasted really good.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 03:03:43 pm »
But if you are looking at the traditional Saison style (not the American interpretation)

The Belgians were already doing a number of Super Saisons well before our Craft brewers ever picked up the idea. It is true that the super saison is the preferred variety over here though.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:21:01 pm »
Got one fermenting as we speak. Zero sugar. OG was 1.049, which is still higher than I intended. Oh well

+1. Any saison under 1.060 shouldn't need sugar. Tank - I don't know if you remember that Saison I sent you with the Lime Leaves and Ginger in it but that was a 1.060 saison with about a pound of sugar. I really liked that beer. But I knocked out the sugar and dropped the gravity down to around 1.050 and I really LOVE that beer know. Kind of a cross between a Wit and a Saison.

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 03:27:32 pm »

+1. Any saison under 1.060 shouldn't need sugar. Tank - I don't know if you remember that Saison I sent you with the Lime Leaves and Ginger in it but that was a 1.060 saison with about a pound of sugar. I really liked that beer. But I knocked out the sugar and dropped the gravity down to around 1.050 and I really LOVE that beer know. Kind of a cross between a Wit and a Saison.

Yeah man, I remember. It was a damn good beer. On the same note, the one I just brewed is pretty similar to the Saison that I sent you, that had the mild brett character. Grain bill was the same, just changed up the hops a bit from EKGs to Nelson Sauvin. Playing a little.  ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
Oh yeah? Might be time for an exchange again. IIRC I made out with the better deal on that last one.  ;)

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »
Ha ha. Thanks man. I gotta say, the beers you sent me were pretty tasty.

But yeah, we should. Might have to wait until the end of summer though.