Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help for a authentic baltic porter.  (Read 4756 times)

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
Need help for a authentic baltic porter.
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:23:01 am »
I really love this style, well drinking it, and want to brew it as authentic as possible. From the history ive read Baltic came along when porters from london where being shipped east.  They decided to make their own and use the yeast at hand, Lager!  So, in trying to do this im having a hard time finding what malt supplier to use.

Do I go with a german style malt, bohemian malt, briess, muntons, or grambrinus.     I know you can mix and match but I really want to get authentic as possible. 

I see all the recipes out there that say this and that however, I found and tasted some beers that when your trying to build something thats authentic you need to have grains from them as well. 

Thanks for the info!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Need help for a authentic baltic porter.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:28 am »
I haven't brewed this style myself yet, but I would certainly choose high-quality continental malts (Best, Weyermann, etc.). And you don't necessarily need a lager strain to be authentic on this style. I know Sinebrychoff uses an ale strain for theirs (allegedly smuggled back from England), and that is one of the best examples of the style, IMO. I'd just stay on the cool side with your fermentation if you go the ale route.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:02:59 am »
I haven't brewed this style myself yet, but I would certainly choose high-quality continental malts (Best, Weyermann, etc.). And you don't necessarily need a lager strain to be authentic on this style. I know Sinebrychoff uses an ale strain for theirs (allegedly smuggled back from England), and that is one of the best examples of the style, IMO. I'd just stay on the cool side with your fermentation if you go the ale route.

Ive read that using ale yeast for this, where can I get my hands on Sinebrychoff!  lol,  Thanks for the info

Have a question about crystal malts and darker malts.

Is there a difference between domestic crystal and let say english crystal and what maltster produce english crystal?

With respect to dark malts would there be a difference of using domestic over continental?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:18:12 am »
Malts from one country to the next, or one maltster to the next, are as different as any other product from different sources. You need to find which you prefer and run with it.

Pickles are pickles, but a pickle made in Germany is different than a pickle made here. A vlassic kosher pickle is different from a mt olive kosher pickle.

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:22:16 am »
Malts from one country to the next, or one maltster to the next, are as different as any other product from different sources. You need to find which you prefer and run with it.

Pickles are pickles, but a pickle made in Germany is different than a pickle made here. A vlassic kosher pickle is different from a mt olive kosher pickle.

Thanks Steve!  This helps keep things with the same brand as possible. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:53 am »

Ive read that using ale yeast for this, where can I get my hands on Sinebrychoff!  lol,  Thanks for the info

Is there a difference between domestic crystal and let say english crystal and what maltster produce english crystal?

With respect to dark malts would there be a difference of using domestic over continental?

Dark malts can be 100L different in color from on maltster to the next.

For a Baltic Porter I would go with German malt for base and some specialty, and English dark roast malts. I don't think you will get the same flavors from domestic base malts.

You might also consider some molasses in small quantities, or make your own invert III (recipes for boiling sugar to the right color are on the net).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:43:26 pm »

For a Baltic Porter I would go with German malt for base and some specialty, and English dark roast malts. I don't think you will get the same flavors from domestic base malts.

You might also consider some molasses in small quantities, or make your own invert III (recipes for boiling sugar to the right color are on the net).

molasses?  So far the recipes Ive seen no have that included.  Lets say if I were going to use molasses what brand? 

So consensus would be German pale malt and some specialty malt like special B, Carafa.  Dark roast malt like crystal and chocolate for English?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
I would a "Black Strap" version of molasses, and blend it with an invert sugar (or use Lyle's Golden Syrup).

This site has the dilution method for it:
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert/comment-page-1
Kyle M.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:28 pm »
I can't remember any molasses flavor in the commercial Baltic Porters I have tried.
I'd go with at least a little pilsner malt as that is a flavor I have often found in them.
Some dark chocolate malt and maybe a little chocolate wheat sounds good to me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »

Offline eluterio

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
Sinebrychoff Porter clone
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3010-sinebrychoff-porter-clone

Thanks for the clone!! 

Have question about water now, I use strictly RO water would one need to add anything for this clone???

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »
Sinebrychoff Porter clone
http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3010-sinebrychoff-porter-clone

Thanks for the clone!! 

Have question about water now, I use strictly RO water would one need to add anything for this clone???

all grain? or Extract?

If extract no, RO is just fine. If all grain download bru'n water and input the recipe. I suspect you will need to a) reserve dark malts for the very end of the mash to avoid driving your pH too low or b) use some pickling lime or baking soda to manipulate your mash pH.

Additionally you will need at least some calcium.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:07:49 pm »

molasses?  So far the recipes Ive seen no have that included.  Lets say if I were going to use molasses what brand? 

So consensus would be German pale malt and some specialty malt like special B, Carafa.  Dark roast malt like crystal and chocolate for English?

A guy named Gordon Strong had some in his BP recipe found in his book.

I used unsulfured first running molasses in one I made. Blackstrap can be a little strong for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 04:15:01 pm »
+1 to avoiding sulfured molasses. And I agree that Blackstrap gets harsh pretty easily.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 07:46:44 pm »

Agreed on the malt selection - German Pils/Vienna/Munich and CaraMunich would be the most appropriate choices, along with English Chocolate and/or Black Malt. English pale and crystal malt have a distinct flavor that would really push the beer more towards a London Porter in style.

I like the molasses idea a lot. I might have to take a stab at a BP this fall. Thinking a relatively clean English Ale yeast, WLP013 maybe.

+1 to avoiding sulfured molasses. And I agree that Blackstrap gets harsh pretty easily.

+2 - I like the Blackstrap cut with Lyle's idea..
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer