Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review  (Read 14631 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2014 NHC Grand Rapids Review
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:18 pm »
we knew the menu days in advance last year, but certainly way past registration time.  I really enjoyed this year's menu but feel the pain of those on other diets.  I hope more accommodations for these people can be made.

is there any etiquette on not attending the banquet, but walking in at the start of the awards ceremony and waiting to see if your name is called for a medal?  There seems to be plenty of empty seats at that point...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »
Pork AND shellfish? Hmmm, might have to rethink ditching SD for Montana. Probably id get there and they'd serve sprouts n gravel though... Dang choices!

Just FYI, they served mac n cheese with burger where I was that night, which was rancho klickitat, and the cook was some fat guy who worked all day.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2014, 05:53:24 pm »
Pork AND shellfish? Hmmm, might have to rethink ditching SD for Montana. Probably id get there and they'd serve sprouts n gravel though... Dang choices!

Just FYI, they served mac n cheese with burger where I was that night, which was rancho klickitat, and the cook was some fat guy who worked all day.

Grand Rapids was very German/Austrian on the main course. Pork hock, a wurst, sauerkraut, and a dumpling for starch. Since I am German heritage and lived in the Vaterland, it hit the spot. No shellfish at this one.

There were German biergarten type snacks on the table too. Pretzels, Obatzda, Radi. I loved it. It was not for all as stated above.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »
Wouldn't the religious non-pork eater also likely be a religious non-drinker and therefore not at the event to complain about the food?  Just sayin'.
For the money, I suppose there should be alternatives but at what point do you cut off the accommodations? How many choices should there be? There's quite a few allergies out there,  if you create a single meal to avoid everything,  you get pretty close to nothing.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

Grand Rapids was very German/Austrian on the main course. Pork hock, a wurst, sauerkraut, and a dumpling for starch. Since I am German heritage and lived in the Vaterland, it hit the spot. No shellfish at this one.

There were German biergarten type snacks on the table too. Pretzels, Obatzda, Radi. I loved it. It was not for all as stated above.

Schweinshauxe!!!! A 2 pounder and a liter of Oktoberfest and I'm in heaven! Finish the night with a Berlinerweiss and a shot of Peppermint Schnapps and its even better

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »
Love some German food. I'm sure it was a blast.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2014, 08:44:15 pm »
Wouldn't the religious non-pork eater also likely be a religious non-drinker and therefore not at the event to complain about the food?

Do you have any Jewish friends?  Observant Jews drink, but they do not eat pork or shellfish.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »
Wouldn't the religious non-pork eater also likely be a religious non-drinker and therefore not at the event to complain about the food?

Do you have any Jewish friends?  Observant Jews drink, but they do not eat pork or shellfish.
The Jewish person at our table drinks alcohol. But then again she eats pork. She admits that she is not observant.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2014, 06:33:07 am »
is there any etiquette on not attending the banquet, but walking in at the start of the awards ceremony and waiting to see if your name is called for a medal?  There seems to be plenty of empty seats at that point...

I see no problem with it, especially if you have entries in the second round.  I think the AHA likes to have the people there to accept the awards.  Just don't drink our beer you freeloader.  ;D

Congrats on your 1 1/2 medals!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2014, 07:22:28 am »

I see no problem with it, especially if you have entries in the second round.  I think the AHA likes to have the people there to accept the awards.  Just don't drink our beer you freeloader.  ;D

Congrats on your 1 1/2 medals!
We did this. We wanted more time to explore Grand Rapids but later had an entry get into the final round. So we just kept an eye on the BN broadcast, headed over when the awards started and stood on the side. There was security, but at that point they were just checking that everyone was a conference attendee. Lots of people were heading in/out of the hall.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2014, 03:19:09 pm »

I am going to try to post a few photos from NHC here.

Well that didn't work.  Maybe I chose "slideshow" by mistake.
[/URL][/img]

I will try once more.
[/URL]["/img]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:36:18 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »

here you go
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:28:47 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2014, 04:42:21 pm »

here you go

Thanks, Mort.  I have some more, but need to relearn how to do it.
That's Denny, Drew, Tom, Martin and Janis at club night.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:19 am »
Anyone else get a really sore throat after the conference followed by sickness?  Seems several people I know did... Someone was the Outbreak monkey this weekend.

I was fine.  I did talk to you for several minutes during Club Night.  I was more concerned about the crowds at the airport.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2014, 03:08:35 am »
Wouldn't the religious non-pork eater also likely be a religious non-drinker and therefore not at the event to complain about the food?  Just sayin'.
For the money, I suppose there should be alternatives but at what point do you cut off the accommodations? How many choices should there be? There's quite a few allergies out there,  if you create a single meal to avoid everything,  you get pretty close to nothing.

With all the dietary restrictions and individual tastes, it's an impossible task to accommodate everyone at such a big banquet.  People are going to have to accept that.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison