Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Astringency problem  (Read 5532 times)

Offline bustdbrewing

• 1st Kit
Astringency problem
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »
I've been having some astringency problems and hoping someone can help me out. I have had 4 batches turn out astringent and I am at a loss for the root cause. I followed previous steps with my RO water and adding minerals. My grain gaps is fine. I'm not oversparging and my sparge water is around 170. I still have issues and am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Astringency problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »
Have you monitered pH at all during the sparge?  One way to help this is lowering sparge water temps at the end of fly sparging.  Also lots of dark grains can cause astringency issues.  Is there a common ingrediant or pattern in the malts you use over the last 4?  Posting grain bills may help
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bustdbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
There have been three pale ales and one double IPA. All the recipes have been pale/2row and 20L and 40L crystals. I have done previous double IPA's that came out great. I followed those procedures from the successful double IPA's to no avail. I was using pH strips it the readings seem ok but maybe inconclusive. I used calculators to determine pH with success earlier.

Latest batch.

13gal
70% efficiency

28lbs pale malt
2lbs 20L

3oz CTZ 90min 17.5%
2oz CTZ 30min 17.5%
8oz Bravo Whirlpool (20min) 15.1%

Water Profile
Sulfate 250ppm
Chloride 97ppm
Sodium 18ppm
Magnesium 18ppm
Calcium 118ppm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »
Are you adding Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) at all?  If so, don't.  Tastes horrible.

You might also need to acidify your mash.  Maybe add a half pound of acidulated malt to your next batch and see if the problem disappears.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
I disagree in regards to the Epsom salts. I use them in everything hoppy. There is no way to get the sulfates up so high without them.

+ 1 to mash acidification. What was your calculated mash ph?

Offline bustdbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
I disagree in regards to the Epsom salts. I use them in everything hoppy. There is no way to get the sulfates up so high without them.

+ 1 to mash acidification. What was your calculated mash ph?

Around 5.3 I put all the salts into the mash. I have been using Brewers Friend Water Chemistry calculator.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

I also have used Epsom salts with success. Am I correct in assuming astringency is the nasty bitterness that lays across your tongue?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »
All of the salts? As in mash and sparge/kettle salts?

Offline bustdbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:27 pm »
All of the salts? As in mash and sparge/kettle salts?

Yes, the calculator showed me my pH would be closer to target doing it this way. I had success with this method before.

Offline Stevie

Astringency problem
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »
Fiddling with your profile in bru'n water. If you basically increase the mash salts by (assuming) the additional 50% that were meant for the kettle, your ph would be low 5.2. I'd try the same recipe with salts based on your target profile and mash volume.

As for target ph. I only target near 5.3 for very tart and dry beers. Like saison. Otherwise I am aiming for 5.4
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:34:32 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
I've been having some astringency problems and hoping someone can help me out. I have had 4 batches turn out astringent and I am at a loss for the root cause. I followed previous steps with my RO water and adding minerals. My grain gaps is fine. I'm not oversparging and my sparge water is around 170. I still have issues and am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

Your Sparge water PH may be to high which can leach some grain astringency. Do you know what your finial beer PH is higher PH like 4.8 can seem astringent or harsh i like to say but i like that in these styles. Good luck

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:59 pm »
Also, your chloride is a bit on the high side. That may be part of the problem.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:26 pm »
What's your bicarbonate?  Alkalinity?  Could be throwing your pH balance off-whack.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 05:58:00 am »
Another issue could be that the area you live had its water source changed/moved according to some sort of seasonal issue.  So your old water report becomes defunct and you are essentially adding blindly.

Jeff
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 06:11:22 am »

Another issue could be that the area you live had its water source changed/moved according to some sort of seasonal issue.  So your old water report becomes defunct and you are essentially adding blindly.

Jeff

Good point. I read his post as using RO, but maybe he is diluting tap water with RO

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 06:14:58 am »

Jeff

Good point. I read his post as using RO, but maybe he is diluting tap water with RO

I probably missed that part.  If he is making his own RO tho he may need a membrane change etc etc.