Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson or Discuss what supporting local means  (Read 5778 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
In the past, I've tried a couple of attempts at an extract clone of Two-Hearted. Initially I wasn't pleased, thinking it was awful. Tonight, I picked up a very fresh 4 pack of the new cans of Two-Hearted. What do you know? First, it tasted a lot like my beer. Secondly, I immediately picked up on the Centennial hops. This is the first time I was fully aware of what a particular hop tasted like in a commercial beer.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:31:23 pm by FLbrewer »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »
Love the Centennial. Great hop !
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »
I have been wanting to try the new cans. Do you notice any difference compared to the bottles?
Dan Chisholm

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »
It's been a year or so since I last  had Two-Hearted. Also, this can is very new, bottled late June (new for Florida). I don't remember tasting this much hops before, previously I thought it was super balanced.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:19:37 am »
So what was the lesson?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:06 am »
I learned a lesson about breweries like Bell's and New Belgium and Languanitas. they purposely undercut smaller local breweries to try to take away small brewery tap sales. They also take out bounties of small local brewery taps. So they hire a small sales force or use the sales staff from the distributor to target local taps. I realize it is just business but if you have a local brewery you really like do your best to support them, or they may end up gone. Then all you'll have to drink is Bell's Two Hearted, and while it's a solid beer I hope you are lucky enough to have a local beer you enjoy even more.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bell's Two Hearted...a lesson
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:50 am »
That is interesting if true Major. Tony Magee (Lagunitas) was just ranting about Sam Adams targeting taps on the west coast with Rebel IPA. For what it's worth, Lagunitas IPA is way better than Rebel IPA.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:00:20 am »
Lagunitas IPA is way better than Rebel IPA.

+1 to that.    ;)
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:44 am »
Meh. Lagunitas is OK. Far from my favorite. Tastes like hop extracts to me. Fake perfumy hop flavor that a lot of these super mega "craft" breweries taste like (Sweet Water, for instance).

I know from sources in the industry that what I am saying is true. These breweries target local taps. they aren't competing against Blue Moon and the "crafty" beers anymore. They go after locals. New Belgium is probably the worst.   

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:34:11 am »
And FWIW my sales are up 43% from last year and we are about to double that next year so this isn't desperation complaining. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:53 am »
Not saying Lagunitas is my favorite as well. It used to be awful, but in the past few years has really improved.

Good stuff to hear about your growing production. A lot of bars around Dallas are serving local only, not sure about where you are.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 07:42:18 am »
Meh. Lagunitas is OK. Far from my favorite. Tastes like hop extracts to me. Fake perfumy hop flavor that a lot of these super mega "craft" breweries taste like (Sweet Water, for instance).

It's not my favorite either, though I think it's pretty solid.  I just meant in comparison to Rebel, which I don't think a lot of.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:02 am »
I didn't think you guys thought it was the greatest ever. I'm just sayin', "meh. It's OK." Better than Rebel, sure. But not by that much.

Brown Suga is probably my favorite from those guys. That's a pretty tasty beer. Their IPA, Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' .... meh. Their OK. Just don't like the uniform hop flavor in those beers. Something tastes fake about it to me.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:50:39 am »
My old club had an event at a pizza place with $2 pints. One option was Brown Shugga, does not drink like 10% at all. That was some heavy duty day drinking.

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:14 am »
I don't drink many commercial beers so I guess my favorite IPA is mine. But 21st amendment Live free or die is pretty tasty to me.
Didn't know that about the big regional breweries targeting the smaller guys but it doesn't surprise me. They simply learned it from BMC doing it to them. Just business in Merica. Dog eat dog.