Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noodles & Pasta  (Read 24018 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Noodles & Pasta
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »
I've been making a lot of pasta lately, too.  I use a mix of 50% semolina and 50% AP flour.  I start with 100 gr. dry mixture and 1 egg per person, add more liquid if needed.

That's pretty much how I make it as well.
Another variation is one my Grandmother and my Mom used when they made "derelye",  which is pretty much the Hungarian version of  what the Poles call "pierogi".    In addition to the flour, egg, and a scant touch of salt for the noodle dough, she would add a dollop of sour cream as well (instead of adding any water or other liquid).  Made for a very tasty and succulent skin for the little fruit-jam stuffed beasties. 
After the usual 20-30 minute rest, the dough is rolled out rather thin, cut into triangles,  filled, and folded over and sealed;   the best filling is lekvar (prune butter).    After cooking in water, the stuffed pockets are then tossed in a simple mixture of browned butter and breadcrumbs.  Peasant food at its best, and proof positive that the peasants knew how to eat!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 03:09:05 pm »
OMG I just drooled a little bit. That is so easy too.

Got a recipe for the lekvar?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 03:31:42 pm »
I made this one last week. Homemade hot italian sausage, fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic and some peccorino romano...need to try my hand at making the pasta, this was whole wheat out of the box.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 05:24:20 pm »
OMG I just drooled a little bit. That is so easy too.

Got a recipe for the lekvar?

I probably have it somewhere in my dad's recipe notes (he took detailed notes watching both grandmothers cook).   Thing is, I never had to make the lekvar at home since here in NJ there are still quite a few Eastern European specialty shops.

I watched my grandmother make it once...basically it's plums and/or prunes slowly cooked down to a thick paste.  Adding sugar to it is optional (depending on the fruit).  From what I recall it looked pretty simple...it just took hours.  The thicker the fruit butter is, the better it holds up inside the dough pockets during the boil.   Also, like any good noodle or pasta, the filled pockets should be cooked to  slight 'al dente'

There are a couple commercial prune butters carried in a lot of supermarkets that work pretty well.  You can also get the 'real deal' online.  Anyplace that sells Polish, Hungarian, Russian, Romanian, etc foods should have various types

Highly recommend you try the derelye...  it is one of my favorite comfort foods.  Also very good with apricot butter inside.  And I've also made it with Rose Hip butter!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 06:04:23 pm »
That's one thig I've been meaning to buy for many years------a pasta machine.

Whats a decent pasta maker cost these days?
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:24 pm »

This is what I actually have but probably under a different name. Faulty memory...

To roll out pasta this is plenty good and at an acceptable price.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »
Thanks Euge...I'll definitely keep that in mind. I could eat pasta every week.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 07:09:35 pm »
Thanks Euge...I'll definitely keep that in mind. I could eat pasta every week.

Make it fresh and you'll want to eat it every day. :o

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:53 am »
Cool thread. I recently got a pasta roller (after quite a bit of research, I went with the Imperia for the combination of quality and low price) and dig it. Fresh pasta is sooo good. I just need to figure out how to speed up the process a bit.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:45 am »

We have the Atlas which is very well made and comes with the cutting attachment (as pictured here). Looks like $65.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B0009U5OSO

It gets used more for making crackers (an idea from Ad Hoc at Home) than pasta.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:19 am »
I also use my pasta roller for making skins for wontons, eggroles, momos etc.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 09:38:46 am »
This is what I actually have but probably under a different name. Faulty memory...

To roll out pasta this is plenty good and at an acceptable price.

That looks a lot like the one I have, too.  Got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $50.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:40 am »
I made homemade pasta for the first time last night using the KitchenAid with the food grinder attachment and the pasta plate. Making the dough was a cinch, I used Denny's 50/50 - 100 grams and 1 egg per person methodology. It took quite some time to extrude all the dough for two servings (really made more like 2 1/2). Keeping them separate was a pain, I need a drying rack.

Also we like our pasta a little more cooked so that took longer than I expected. It all turned out well, but I think next time I'll try something that doesn't have to be extruded, maybe some fettuccine since I have those rollers for the KA as well.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 10:09:39 am »
I made homemade pasta for the first time last night using the KitchenAid with the food grinder attachment and the pasta plate. Making the dough was a cinch, I used Denny's 50/50 - 100 grams and 1 egg per person methodology. It took quite some time to extrude all the dough for two servings (really made more like 2 1/2). Keeping them separate was a pain, I need a drying rack.

Also we like our pasta a little more cooked so that took longer than I expected. It all turned out well, but I think next time I'll try something that doesn't have to be extruded, maybe some fettuccine since I have those rollers for the KA as well.

that was my experienc with the extruder as well. I tried to make elbows and it worked okay but they kept collapsing so the mac and cheese didn't work quite right. A little to dense. The rollers are great, I can go from scratch to table in only about 10 minutes longer than it takes to make the sauce now.

I start by mixing up and kneeding the dough then set it aside while I get the sauce together.
while the sauce is simmering I roll out all the sheets of dough and lay them on clean kitchen towels on the counter or over the back of a chair.

once the water is boiling and salted I cut each sheet and toss it right into the water. although there is a 5 minute window in which all the pasta hits the water they all seem to be done to the right extent. I find the fresh pasta to be more forgiving of slightly longer/shorter cooking times.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
Making the dough was a cinch, I used Denny's 50/50 - 100 grams and 1 egg per person methodology.
I'm having trouble parsing this.  You used yeast in your pasta?  50-100 grams of what?
Tom Schmidlin