Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with cabbage (say what?)  (Read 5904 times)

Offline claponsie

• 1st Kit
Brewing with cabbage (say what?)
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:37:43 pm »
I know cabbage flavors in beer are typically associated with DMS.  I am experimenting with natural dye in beer.  I'm hoping to take a beer that would typically be light in color, and give it a purple tint.  A friend of mine is a cancer survivor and has a life-long story of battling cancer with friends and loved ones.  She is part of a Relay for Life team, which is a charity for cancer research.  I want to support that, and their "thing" is purple.  So...

Red cabbage makes a fine purple dye, but what does it do to beer?  I took 5.7 lbs of chopped red cabbage and boiled it in 15 gallons of water for 20 minutes.  This was the result.  I intend to use this as my mash water.  What do you guys think?  What should I look out for?  Can you think of other natural ways I can add a purple hue to the beer?  I'm brewing tomorrow morning and looking to get some input.  I figure, if this fails (which it probably will!), I can just brew a normal beer with purple food coloring... but that wouldn't be very fun, would it?

I found that the mixture comes out blue with the pH level that my water supply is, but with a couple drops of lactic acid, the solution turns a beautiful shade of purple.
My intention is to mash with this solution.  The taste of the cabbage definitely comes through, but I wonder how it will play with the malty-grain bill I've chosen.  I'm not very optimistic after tasting the water... but it might work.  Thoughts?

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: Brewing with cabbage (say what?)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:03 am »
Is there a photo? I can't see it.

I've had a beer made with beets that was purple. So that's an option.

Offline claponsie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:23:39 am »
Here's the picture:

However, after tasting the water again this morning, I am abandoning the idea.  I think this idea would make an interesting looking beer, but cabbage tea just has an awful taste.  Bitter, buttery, salty, and sulfur in the aroma.  This would not make a good beer.  I guess my hopes were that I could extract the color without too much of the flavor components.

So I'm brewing a blonde ale today.  Any recommendations on how I can turn it purple prior to kegging?  The beat idea was pretty cool, but I'm behind schedule on that.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:42:20 am »
Try beets maybe?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:34:22 am »
I was gonna say ... I love cabbage (boiled cabbage, pickled cabbage, cole slaw - frickin' all of it) but boiled cabbage smells like farts.

beets are a fantastic idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:00:09 am »
+1 to beets and I would add hibiscus to the list. It adds a nice tartness too. Never brewed with it, but I've had a couple beers brewed with it. And a -2 to the cabbage-y, 'fart beer'.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:27:43 am »
Blueberries? Blueberry Blonde sounds delicious....

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:41 am »
+1 to beets and I would add hibiscus to the list. It adds a nice tartness too. Never brewed with it, but I've had a couple beers brewed with it. And a -2 to the cabbage-y, 'fart beer'.
I was going to mention hibiscus.  It seems to be very trendy around here and might go well in a Blonde Ale.  I think it adds some spiciness.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:24 am »
Blackberries are in season.  I added about six pounds that I smashed up to a saison with Brett  it look very purplish.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:52 am »
Blackberries will give you a deep, inky purple. Blueberries are close to that color as well. Hibiscus is in the pink-to-magenta range. Beets are red/purple. Red wine must (Merlot/Cabernet/etc) will get you into the deep purplish-red range as well.

A lot of the color will be quite dependent on how much you add. For example, at 1 oz/gallon steeped Hibiscus adds a deep pink color. For full-on red you'll need to go higher. For a lighter blush, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 oz/gallon will do.

When you add the ingredients matters as well. A lot of natural dyes are degraded or changed by heat and/or pH. Certain colors will be different depending on whether you add them on the hot side or cold side.

Good luck, and please continue to share your results!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »
With all the rage over Black IPA and White IPA and Red IPA and Brown IPA, I have been wondering how to make a Purple IPA.  Looks like this may be the answer.  I would thank you, but I am a style nazi, and... ew.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
Maybe getting purple from smaller amounts of different things (like beets, hibiscus, and berries) would get a purple that wouldn't have too strong a flavor of one thing. Also, you mentioned using it as your mash water. I wonder if it would difficult to get a workable PH if you did it first like that.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
With all the rage over Black IPA and White IPA and Red IPA and Brown IPA, I have been wondering how to make a Purple IPA.  Looks like this may be the answer.  I would thank you, but I am a style nazi, and... ew.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:31:23 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 08:36:44 pm »
Sometimes its hard to judge intent and tone in settings like this. Are you making fun of the OP? It seems this person wants to make a purple colored beer for a good reason and it could be a fun experiment and I think folks were having fun trying to figure out the best way to do this. Maybe there is an ongoing joke that I don't get that you know the OP is in on about style guidelines but I don't think this thread has anything to do with any style. I apologize if I'm wrong and you were not criticizing the OP or otherwise being snarky. Just wondering what these posts were about.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.