Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?  (Read 18589 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »
I guess the first thing on the agenda is planning for the 2011 NHC.  With 2 regions maxing out this year some changes are in order.  I'm sure the topic is already being discussed and I'm confident the Governing Committee will address it appropriately.  Another topic already on the table is shipping competition entries. Your efforts on this front are greatly appreciated!

Man, you're easy to please!  Both of those topics are high on our list.

I knew they were Denny but they're pretty big issues IMO.  Once they're checked off we can get down to other business. My 2 cents anyway...  Regardless the AHA is headed in the right direction & the support is growing.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »
I totally agree that they're big issues and I'm glad to know we're working on things that are important to homebrewers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »
How about sending us free malt?

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 06:25:15 am »
I really appreciate Fred posting this question. Having been on the AHA GC for several years, I have watched (and participated) as it moved from dithering over the By Laws and conventions to actively providing consultation, feedback and input to the AHA staff. It was a wake up call for me when I realized that the AHA was essentially 3.5 dedicated heads - Gary Glass, Janis Gross, Kate Porter and half of Jill Redding (she also publishes the BA's magazine - The New Brewer). BTW, the By Laws are actually a valuable touchstone for me, so the effort was not wasted, just not the most efficient use of our time.

When I realized this, it became clear that the input the GC brought to the AHA, along with the avenue members can take by speaking with their AHA GC, provides value and a reality check to the organization.

As a former economist, the world is all about the decisions we make with limited resources to accomplish our goals, whatever those may be. To work toward legalizing all 50 states, making it easier/legal to ship homebrew, or build a better website are just three examples of major initiatives that the AHA GC continues to bang the drum for. The Website is in a much better place, but how to get shipping homebrew recognized as a legal endeavor has been an on-going challenge.

Should the AHA spend its members scarce resources on a legal team that can possibly move this forward faster? Or should it facilitate a more grass roots effort? Or something in between? It is in these sort of discussions that I feel we add the most value. One members #1 priority may not be on another members radar. Anyway, I am rambling. As Fred has asked - what can we do for you now?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:20:37 pm by Crispy275 »
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:43 am »
Working toward legalization in all 50 states, working to include the Territories in brewing competitions, and reviewing/adjusting the NHC guidelines would be three good areas to work in.  I have no interest in competing, but from reading the Forum it appears that the competition is having some inevitable growing pains--the byproduct of laudable success.

In terms of what the AHA itself has been doing, I appreciate the improvements to the website and the more visible advocacy for homebrewing legalization. For a very small national association, it does a remarkable job. I manage an organization run by 4 people so I appreciate how much bang for the buck the AHA staff are delivering.

I winced a little at the word "dithering" because yesterday morning I got up at 5 and read the BA bylaws very carefully in an effort to understand the relationship of AHA to the BA. Bylaws do matter in the NPO world--I'm on a bylaws committee right now for another organization, and the committee was formed because the bylaws were standing in the way of that organization's growth. But I agree bylaws can't be the be-all end-all. I once made a similar decision on another committee--forget updating the manual, let's do some direct action--and it was the right call.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 08:36:54 am »
I would like to see some agreement with the shipping companies ( Fedex, UPS ) the relax the restrictions on shipping beer for competitions.  Also, maybe a deal could be struck with them for contracted shipping rates at a discount. 

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 09:51:29 am »
I would like to see some agreement with the shipping companies ( Fedex, UPS ) the relax the restrictions on shipping beer for competitions.  Also, maybe a deal could be struck with them for contracted shipping rates at a discount. 

AFAIK, we have talked to private shippers and they didn't show much interest becasue the volume was so small they wouldn't make much money on it.  While I don't think that avenue has been ruled out, I believe that at this point the focus is on legislative changes.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 10:04:31 am »
I winced a little at the word "dithering" because yesterday morning I got up at 5 and read the BA bylaws very carefully in an effort to understand the relationship of AHA to the BA. Bylaws do matter in the NPO world--I'm on a bylaws committee right now for another organization, and the committee was formed because the bylaws were standing in the way of that organization's growth. But I agree bylaws can't be the be-all end-all. I once made a similar decision on another committee--forget updating the manual, let's do some direct action--and it was the right call.

I agree - my use of the word "dithering" was one better suited for conversation and not the written word. It has a derogatory inference, and I did not mean to imply the By Laws were unimportant. I did qualify that it was valuable work, but in my opinion (and I am not speaking for the AHA GC, just myself), other issues at the time required greater attention. The old BOA was combining and becoming the BA, and the focus was appropriatly shifted to actions that assisted in making the AHA a healthier organization.

My apologies for my choice of words. But I also stand by my contention that the priorities we shifted to were more important. I have read and re-read the AHA GC By-Laws probably more times than most, as it provides me with direction, and serves as a reminder to what is expected from those of us who serve on the GC. 

Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:18 am »
and serves as a reminder to what is expected from those of us who serve on the GC. 

Uh oh!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 03:29:30 pm »
Posted on FACEBOOK "The Old West regional database has been processed; four regions remain in the processing queue (South, Great Lakes, Northeast, and Canada). It takes 3 to 4 hours to process each database for the winners list. Good luck!"  I think you need to approve a faster computer for Janis...  ;D
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »
Actually, I think Janis needs another Janis!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 02:46:53 pm »
How about getting it legalized to transport wort that has had yeast pitched to it, having no or little krauzen, with a measurable specific gravity of at least 1.040.  As I understand it once any yeast is pitched its illegal to transport in any state.  It might make things nice for some people that like to brew together and split batches or teach people etc.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 03:27:37 pm »
No reply on that eh?  Why is there a law regarding wort thats had yeast pitched to it in the first place... it can't be any worse than transporting alcohol and we do that everytime we make a beer run.   :D

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:50 pm »
No reply on that eh?  Why is there a law regarding wort thats had yeast pitched to it in the first place... it can't be any worse than transporting alcohol and we do that everytime we make a beer run.   :D

Is there a law?  I've heard anecdotal evidence, but never seen an actual law quoted.  It seems a bit hard to believe, since right after pitching yeast there isn't any alcohol.  And if there is a law, why not just wait til you get home to pitch?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:59:38 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 07:46:57 am »
I don't believe it's an issue in transporting, and I haven't see the law.
but I do think it is related to licensed establishments "giving" away non-taxed beer.  Wort is no problem.
In Michigan I have been told that it is legally beer once the yeast is pitched.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)