Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?  (Read 18588 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: What do you want your AHA Governing Committee to do for you?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:01 am »

In Michigan I have been told that it is legally beer once the yeast is pitched.

+1, I've heard or read it, not only Michigan but all states.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 09:26:19 am »

+1, I've heard or read it, not only Michigan but all states.

Not the case in Virginia.  The exact definitions are...

"Alcoholic beverages" includes alcohol, spirits, wine, and beer, and any one or more of such varieties containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume, including mixed alcoholic beverages, and every liquid or solid, patented or not, containing alcohol, spirits, wine, or beer and capable of being consumed by a human being.

"Beer" means any alcoholic beverage obtained by the fermentation of an infusion or decoction of barley, malt, and hops or of any similar products in drinkable water and containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume.

...so you'd have to wait a while after yeast pitching before it could be defined as "beer".

Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:45 am »

That's what I've heard, too, and what Dean is referring to.  But I've never actually seen the law to read it for myself.  In addition, as I mentioned, there isn't any alcohol at that point.  It's certainly possible that it is a law, but it's also kinda shaping up to be an urban legend.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:52 pm »

That's what I've heard, too, and what Dean is referring to.  But I've never actually seen the law to read it for myself.  In addition, as I mentioned, there isn't any alcohol at that point.  It's certainly possible that it is a law, but it's also kinda shaping up to be an urban legend.

The definitions are probably different from state to state and county to county. Perhaps the local governing website will shed some light on this issue.
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:54 am »

You may be right about that Denny.  But, using the definitions that Hokerer found, how would a person prove the alcohol level is less than the specified amount to be considered an alcoholic beverage if you were pulled over and questioned?  The only way I could think of and was why I posted a minimum specific gravity (pick a number 1.0XX).  Yeh, it too could still have alcohol content but most finished beers are below 1.036 even if you include the really big boys.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 09:39:53 am »
You may be right about that Denny.  But, using the definitions that Hokerer found, how would a person prove the alcohol level is less than the specified amount to be considered an alcoholic beverage if you were pulled over and questioned?  The only way I could think of and was why I posted a minimum specific gravity (pick a number 1.0XX).  Yeh, it too could still have alcohol content but most finished beers are below 1.036 even if you include the really big boys.

Dean, I'd think the burden of proof would be on the one prosecuting, not the defendant.  In other words, they'd have to prove there _was_ alcohol, not that you'd have to prove there wasn't.  But IANAL.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
The only way I could think of and was why I posted a minimum specific gravity (pick a number 1.0XX).  Yeh, it too could still have alcohol content but most finished beers are below 1.036 even if you include the really big boys.

A single specific gravity will never conclusively tell you anything.  Without a before and an after, there's no way to know.  If you're saying if it measures less than 1.036, it's got alcohol, what about unpitched worts for a Mild or a 60/- or a whatever.  Plenty of styles below that number.  If you then try and lower that number to account for those, then the "really big boys" suddenly don't have alcohol (by the FG test) even though they actually have the most alcohol.  A single gravity number as a criteria just doesn't work.
Joe

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »

I would like the AHA to provide guidance for sponsoring charity events that provide homebrew.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 04:58:10 pm »
I'd like to be able to ship bottles to the NHC (or any competition for that matter) without having to lie about the contents, or feel like I'm doing something illegal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »

I would like the AHA to provide guidance for sponsoring charity events that provide homebrew.

I agree, that would be great.  I don't know how realistic it is to expect the AHA to be aware of every local regulation, but if it could be done, it would sure be a help.

I'd like to be able to ship bottles to the NHC (or any competition for that matter) without having to lie about the contents, or feel like I'm doing something illegal.

The AHA is hard at work on that and it keeps getting closer.  I hope we'll have good news before long.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 05:27:26 am »
I want you all to relax this week and have a cold one or three.   ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 09:39:56 am »

Just for you, buddy, I'll do it!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:41 am »

...but you know there's no rest for the weary.  8)
Ron Price

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 10:16:20 am »
One of the things I would love to see, is Audio of the presentations at NHC be provided as well as the powerpoints.

So much information is given in these presentations that are not on the slides, or are presented in a format that "clicks" better than reading a slide, that I think it would be a significant addition.

Presently, there are a number of Podcast groups that attend NHC, I would think that a collaborative arrangement could be made. 

The audio component need not even be hosted on the AHA website.  Instead, the audio could be hosted by the Podcast group that generates the audio, and the AHA could simply provide a link to the Podcast group.  This would generate traffic to Podcast websites, and possibly point AHA members to informational opportunities they were not aware of.  I think it could be a huge "win/win" situation, but it would take some organizing.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
I like that idea--I'm more attuned to visual rather than aural input.  I'm not one who listens to pod-casts. 
But I'd love to be able to access powerpoint presentations (w/ or w/o audio) and text of all presentations. 
The visual component is important (especially with respect to diagrams or designs or techniques).
It'd be a shame not to share the wealth of knowledge with those who cannot attend.