Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting cooler than specified  (Read 6802 times)

Offline rep

• Cellarman
Fermenting cooler than specified
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:15 pm »
Hi
I am fermenting a beer with Safale 05.  I used a starter and placed the carboy in a refrigerator, fired up my temp control device and let it go.  Within a couple of days I had minor blow off.

Now, a week later I notice the temps in the frig are about 61F.  I had set the unit to begin cooling so I would ferment on the cool side of the yeast specs around 68F.

The ambient temp in the garage where the frig is sitting is only about 61F.

The yeast is chugging along very well.

I do though have a question.  Can I simply expect the beer to take longer to finish, but will not have any off flavors as a result of cool fermentation?  I have always wanted to be on the cool rather than the warm side of my ferments, but is this too cool?
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Fermenting cooler than specified
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »
My experience with S-05 is that it works just fine in the low 60's.
If it is "chugging along", it'll be fine.
The yeast will make its own heat anyway.
No off flavors, just a good clean ferment.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:29:39 pm »
You might get a little acetaldehyde as in fresh cut pumpkin. That should age out.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:23:03 am »
You might get a little acetaldehyde as in fresh cut pumpkin. That should age out.

At 61F S-05 is pretty clean IMHO.  I doubt there will be any off flavors at all.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:38 am »

At 61F S-05 is pretty clean IMHO.  I doubt there will be any off flavors at all.

+1
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
I have read  do not  make a starter,  and its OK to make a starter when using Safale 05.  Which is correct?  Is dry pitching and making a starter both acceptable with this yeast. I am bottling a IIPA tomorrow night that I used a SAFALE 05 starter on.  I got good steady fermentation for 5 days, and in 10 days went from 1.073 to 1.017. I am bottling after 16 days.    ???
I planned on going this route on my next batch, what to do?
gcam

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:38 am »
There isn't any need to make a starter if you're using S-05.
Since I've never made a starter for S-05, I don't know if it makes any difference either way.
You can re-hydrate it if you want.
I just pitch it right out of the package.
Works fine.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:33:20 am »
Are there enough cells for a high OG beer with a single pack? Also I guess my real question is whether or not there is a real downside to making a starter with this yeast.
Thanks Gcam

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:18 am »
Define "High"

I use 3 packs of rehydrated (Important in big brews) when I am north of 1,120, 2 (rehydrated) for 1.080+.  and pitch dry for smaller than that.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:38 am »
I'm a newbie, so I considered a 1.073 as high. Is there a downside to making a starter from this yeast?  I guess I sound goofy but I just enjoy doing the starter.
Thanks Gcam

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:17 am »
I regularly ferment US-05 in the low 60s. To my tastes it make sthe best beer at those temps. Absolutely no acetaldahyde ever from that yeast.

I'm a newbie, so I considered a 1.073 as high. Is there a downside to making a starter from this yeast?  I guess I sound goofy but I just enjoy doing the starter.
Thanks Gcam

A starter with dry yeast can actually cause more harm than good because the cell count in dry yeast is so much higher than packs of liquid yeast. The dry yeast also has the glycogen stored up in its cell walls so making a starter can cause it to use that glycogen so that when you go to pitch your yeast you ctually are going in with less healthy yeast and very likely less cell population in general. For dry yeast, simply pitch more packs for higher gravity beers. Use the pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com for more info.

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:41:49 am »
Majorvices,
Do you ever harvest any of this yeast?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:45:02 am »
Yes. Harvests fine. In fact 2nd generation is much more flocculative and the beer drops much clearer much faster on 2nd gen. Haven't ever tried third gen.

I should add I am speaking of bottom harvesting.

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 09:13:57 am »
I am bottling my IIPA this afternoon, I had wanted to harvest some of the yeast. I really like the way that the S-05 behaved.
Once I harvest into a sterile container, should I leave a quantity of sterile water on the yeast cake in the fridge for storage?
Gcam

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:18:47 am »
I will have to agree with the major and redbeerman on this one. I've used S05 in the 60ish range with good results. It renders a very clean tasting ale.
Ron Price