Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rubber stopper in carboy  (Read 2063 times)

Offline odingfelder

• 1st Kit
Rubber stopper in carboy
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »
I would like to say I am new to forums, and I am rather embarrassed the situation described below happened.  Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of brewing an American Cream Ale.  This past Saturday (April 24, 2010), I racked the beer from the primary to secondary fermenter.  Then, I sanitized my air lock and rubber stopper, and assembled the two together prior to inserting them into the mouth of the 5-gallon glass carboy (secondary fermenter).  While inserting the stopper/air lock, the rubber stopper slipped through the mouth of the carboy.  I was able to pull up on the stopper with the air lock to create a seal and prevent contamination from the ambient air.  However, the rubber stopper cannot be removed from the carboy, and will need to be pushed into the beer prior to siphoning the beer into my bottling bucket.  Should I be concerned about potential contamination from the rubber stopper while siphoning, or has the concern been eliminated because it was sanitized prior to use?

Thank you.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Re: Rubber stopper in carboy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:44:13 pm »
You should be fine. The pH in the finished beer should kill and baddies. If you are worried, just sanitize the stopper again before you rack. You can buy a "drilled universal bung" to prevent future accidents :)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:07 am »
Yeah, since you sanitized the stopper before it went into the beer you're probably fine.  Once the beer is out of the carboy if you need some help getting it out check out this thread:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1904.0

Seems like a common enough problem  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:35 am »
Yeah, since you sanitized the stopper before it went into the beer you're probably fine.  Once the beer is out of the carboy if you need some help getting it out check out this thread:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1904.0

Seems like a common enough problem  ;)

Sure is, it's happened to me a few times.  No problems at all.  (other than the embarassement)