Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer Prime Dose  (Read 4308 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Northern Brewer Prime Dose
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:26:14 pm »
I've wasted money on things before, but I really hate wasting time and effort.  Although I haven't used PD personally, given what I've heard I wouldn't risk an 8 month old barley wine to it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:47:42 am »
They worked for me on a few beers that had enough excess beer in the primary to justify putting it into a growler or grumbler.  They are made of merely sugar and CBC yeast, IIRC, but they are handy for this purpose.  I had used them first on a Flanders Red that had aged out in secondary and felt that priming alone would not get the job done - well neither did the Prime Dose - I entered the few bottles in 2 comps and all were flat (I kegged the rest a few weeks later and it was great).  Then the mod at NB blocked my negative review, because they had not tested the stuff on sours and he felt that the acidic nature of the Flanders prevented the product from working.  I didn't take it further, but have had no problems with the product in all other applications, including an aged Barleywine that didn't carb up with regular priming.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:19 am »
Blocked your review? That's garbage.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »

This is not the first time I've heard of NB blocking negative reviews.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:06 pm »
I am presently enjoying the Barleywine to make sure it carbed up fine - it did!  Once you buy a bottle, you kinda find a way to use them and they are convenient.  So being blocked is bogus, but I like NB's service otherwise.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:52 pm »

This is not the first time I've heard of NB blocking negative reviews.

They only want a group hugs and hi fives.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:27 pm »
Any one try these? I have 5 gallons of barley wine sitting in a keg I brewed last march in my basement. I want to bottle and was gong to rack into another corny keg and dose with priming sugar and go from there but it sure would be easy to just bottle right off the keg.

I keg all my beers but i like to bottle a few before i  force carb the batch up and prime dose is all i use..excellent product..would not recommend it to the everyday bottler cause of the price..but to bottle a few its perfect..IMO much better then the fizzy drops

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 09:42:46 am »

I am presently enjoying the Barleywine to make sure it carbed up fine - it did!  Once you buy a bottle, you kinda find a way to use them and they are convenient.  So being blocked is bogus, but I like NB's service otherwise.

Enough of you have given me confidence to try a bottle. I'm not worried about the price, I just want to get the beer in bottles before Christmas.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »

Enough of you have given me confidence to try a bottle. I'm not worried about the price, I just want to get the beer in bottles before Christmas.

when i used to bottle or want a bottle conditioned beer i get the best results from coopers carb drops.

I've used Prime dose, coopers "carb drops" and regular old dextrose simple syrup.

Prime dose = lots of over carb bottles and mixed results... easy to use product.
coopers carb drops = consistent carb in each bottle... east to use product
dextrose = mixed results, one bottle perfect, one flat, one explodes....

my money goes w/ carb drops... prime dose has dextrose AND yest so you never know how much its going to react w/ what is already in the finished beer... take it for what its worth.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com