Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: film on bottles  (Read 2538 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
film on bottles
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »
I use Star San to sanitize my bottles. I've noticed a film on the glass now that I've reused the bottles a number of times. Just out of curiosity, I used a bottle brush to see if I could remove the film. I was able to get most of it off.  Do I need to go through all my bottles and remove the film, or just not worry about it?  I can't detect have any off flavors in the beer.
Art

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: film on bottles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:57:53 pm »
Film on the inside?

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:59:27 am »
How do you clean them?  I would think that the film comes from the cleaning process more than the starsan.  A couple of days before bottling, I like to soak my bottles in OxyClean or PBW, making sure they're visibly clean before soaking.   A good rinse on bottling day and there should be no film.  SS is the last product to touch the bottles before the beer.

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:48:16 pm »
The film is on the inside. Typically, all I do to clean my bottles is to rinse the bottle very well after I pour the beer, make sure there is no sediment, and then turn the bottle upside down to store. When I bottle again, I rinse the bottles again, and then give each bottle a shot of Star San with one of those spring loaded bottle squirters (forget the name of the apparatus), which coats the bottle thoroughly.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:51:04 pm »
Oxyclean soak and scrub, rinse soak, running rinse, starsan submersion, onto bottling tree. This is what I do. No film

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:56:42 pm »

Oxyclean soak and scrub, rinse soak, running rinse, starsan submersion, onto bottling tree. This is what I do. No film
+1 - same

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »
The film is on the inside. Typically, all I do to clean my bottles is to rinse the bottle very well after I pour the beer, make sure there is no sediment, and then turn the bottle upside down to store. When I bottle again, I rinse the bottles again, and then give each bottle a shot of Star San with one of those spring loaded bottle squirters (forget the name of the apparatus), which coats the bottle thoroughly.

is the film on the inside of the bottle while there is still beer in it? like a small ring near the top/neck of the bottles?

i've never had any films on my bottles when cleaning them w/ StarSan... but it sounds like you get the film once you've bottled the beer. correct?
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:23 pm »
Had the same film using oxy clean...did lots of searching including this forum...apparently in some cases the film is a mineral deposit (oxy + water chemistry). The solution was to let the bottles sit in a solution of CLR (mineral deposit remover) and BAM! the film was gone. I had about 6 cases of bottles with this stupid film on and it took me full night but all are clean now. Just be sure to rinse in fresh water to get the CLR off the bottle (might give the DIPA a funny flavor  ;)  ).

Now I'm using PBW and not seeing the film either...not sure exactly why OC gave me film but am happy with the new path.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:50 pm »
PBW has an additional ingredient that aides in rinsing. Supposedly  mixing oxyclean and powdered TSP substitute is a poor mans PBW. If using hot water to rinse, followed by a starsan dunk, the film should not form.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 03:27:17 am »
Jon from Five Star also advised to always rinse with water that is the same temp or warmer than the PBW mix to avoid deposits. 

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

+1 - same

+2 Exactly.

I've never seen any film. Do you have a bottle rinser? Essential piece of equipment.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'