Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill  (Read 9172 times)

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
Re: Grain Mill
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »
A little more follow up. For those of you with the JSP adjustable, did you buy one end or both end adjustable? What is the difference? If just one end, does the gap size differ across the length of the rollers? I guess I'm confused with the difference. I think the JSP is the one for me, after having used one in a LHBS recently, have used a MM 3 roller at other LHBS, just think that is overkill for what I am currently doing.

I went with the one sided adjustment only. Yes the difference is the gap size will be different across the rollers. They are long rollers and most of the crush is in the middle where the gap difference will be the closet. I have mine a little tighter than "square" and have not moved it.  I did specifically get the gear drive option for the passive roller. I was fed up with my old mill which would stop turning. I haven't had so much as a hiccup since.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »
I wanted this one to be that last mill I buy so I went all in: Adjustable on both ends, gear drive, large hopper adapter, and case hardened rollers.   I'm not sure the adjustable is all that important - I keep it on its tightest setting and it plows through the grain. 

I cut the female end off a piece of PVC pipe and upended a better bottle I was no longer using for a hopper:

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:32 pm »
Cool idea Steve

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »
From JSP website, I thought gear drive was only available on the adjustable, one side model.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »
From JSP website, I thought gear drive was only available on the adjustable, one side model.

You are correct!  Geeze how short is my memory...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:21 am »
A little more follow up. For those of you with the JSP adjustable, did you buy one end or both end adjustable? What is the difference? If just one end, does the gap size differ across the length of the rollers? I guess I'm confused with the difference. I think the JSP is the one for me, after having used one in a LHBS recently, have used a MM 3 roller at other LHBS, just think that is overkill for what I am currently doing.

Mine is one end adjustable.  Jack has said that the only reason he made the 2 end adjustable is becasue people were asking for it, not because it works any better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 10:44:51 am »
Good to know Denny. Saving a couple bucks sounds good

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 09:51:02 pm »
I'm sure you get what you pay for, but Cereal Killer on sale for $89.99 shipped! Nobody has mentioned this mill on this thread, any thoughts? Thought I was set on JSP, but after adjustable, gear drive, large hopper, hardened rollers,and shipping, I would be close to $300. Is the Killer a cheap piece of junk or just a great bargain, or am I putting too much into JSP? This price is a Black Friday deal, but really only $10 or $20 off regular price I have seen before. Convince me to stop over-thinking and pull the trigger
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:01:07 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:07 am »
Another barley crusher here. I powered mine with a cheap 3/4" drill from home depot. The kind with a screw in speed control. For under $100 that mill is plenty good.
Oops. Mine is a cereal killer. Not barley crusher.  Sorry

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:40 am »
I have the MM3.  Like most people, I have only owned 1 mill so I couldn't tell you which one is best.  The MM3 works just fine for me.  It can be slightly difficult to adjust but really, that shouldn't occur very often because messing with the adjustment means learning your efficiency all over again.  FWIW, I hand crank my mill.  It's a labor of love. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 04:22:43 am »
Well, the best ones are Belgian, im certain. But I'll settle for the one I have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 11:40:07 am »
I'm sure you get what you pay for, but Cereal Killer on sale for $89.99 shipped! Nobody has mentioned this mill on this thread, any thoughts? Thought I was set on JSP, but after adjustable, gear drive, large hopper, hardened rollers,and shipping, I would be close to $300. Is the Killer a cheap piece of junk or just a great bargain, or am I putting too much into JSP? This price is a Black Friday deal, but really only $10 or $20 off regular price I have seen before. Convince me to stop over-thinking and pull the trigger

I think that's one that Steve (yso191) tried and sent back.  Is it the plexiglass one?  If so, I wouldn't recommend it based on seeing one.    Skip the gear drive and hardened rollers on the JSP...it works great without them.  Build your own hopper.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 11:41:33 am »
Is it the plexiglass one?  If so, I wouldn't recommend it based on seeing one.
That's the Captain Crush from Northern Brewer. They sell it as a "feature" not a shortcoming.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 01:12:05 pm »
Yeah, I actually sent two Captain Crushes back.  Neither one worked worth a hoot.  It could have been just an odd coincidence that I got two semi-functional ones in a row, but I was done trying.  The first one developed a screeching noise (after only 4-5 batches) that was so bad dogs in the neighborhood howled.  The second one would just spin the driven roller but never pull grain - no matter how I adjusted it. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 05:41:02 pm »

I think that's one that Steve (yso191) tried and sent back.  Is it the plexiglass one?  If so, I wouldn't recommend it based on seeing one.    Skip the gear drive and hardened rollers on the JSP...it works great without them.  Build your own hopper.

I see my harder rollers are getting worn out.
I put about 60,000 lb of grain thru them in 4 years. Still works well but I am ready for replacement.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com