Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: i'm wanting to bottle and keg my beer.....  (Read 4197 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
i'm wanting to bottle and keg my beer.....
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:30 am »
i have a double ipa in an oak barrel i'm wanting to bottle and keg.   

do i just add my priming sugar like normal and bottle what i want to bottle and just keg the rest? 

thanks in advance.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: i'm wanting to bottle and keg my beer.....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »
That's the way I do it with my kegs. Shouldn't be any different if you add some bottles to the equation. Usually just 3 oz sugar will prime 5 gallons in a keg perfectly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:11 pm »
That's the way I do it with my kegs. Shouldn't be any different if you add some bottles to the equation. Usually just 3 oz sugar will prime 5 gallons in a keg perfectly.

thanks!
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:59:22 pm »
Force carbonate it in the keg and use a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle from the kegs.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:40 pm »

thanks!

You're welcome. It's what I settled on as worry-hassle-free approach since the kegs will sit for at least 2 weeks anyway.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gaji750

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:50 pm »
I clean the bottles well, put the empties in the freezer to get as cold as possible & spray them down inside & out with starsan. I've been trying the "piece of tubing on the end of the tap" method, the tube reaches to the bottom of the bottle, but they still foam up a lot. I cap on foam immediately, but when they get opened later on they've all been dead flat, nothing.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:39 pm »
I clean the bottles well, put the empties in the freezer to get as cold as possible & spray them down inside & out with starsan. I've been trying the "piece of tubing on the end of the tap" method, the tube reaches to the bottom of the bottle, but they still foam up a lot. I cap on foam immediately, but when they get opened later on they've all been dead flat, nothing.

What pressure is the keg at? When I use that method with a rubber stopper I have to turn the keg down to almost nothing. Like just enough PSI to get the beer into the bottles without it foaming very much. Maybe 1-2 PSI.  Then it works.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:05 am »
Counter Pressure Bottle Filler.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18279/beerwinecoffee/MoreBeer_Counter_Pressure_Bottle_Filler

+1 
I help bottle samples at a local brewery and used a counter pressure bottle filler very similar to this one.  It makes bottling from a keg a breeze....simple, clean, and most importantly the beer stays carbonated.
mmmm....beer

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:23:17 am »

that's b/c you put them into the freezer. This forms ice crystals which act as nucleation sites and cause foaming. In addition to that the beer needs to be cold when you bottle with the picnic tap. I keep my beer and bottles at ~34f before I bottle with the picnic tap "beer gun"

Kai

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:26:32 am »
Fill a bucket with star san solution and add a couple pounds of ice. Immerse your bottles in the star san/ice water solution. Problem solved.

+1 to CPBF.