Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparge holding time  (Read 5698 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Batch Sparge holding time
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
Is it necessary to hold the sparge water in the mash tun for 30 minutes? Can I simply add the necessary amount of water and drain?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Batch Sparge holding time
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
No. Add sparge water, stir thoroughly for a couple minutes, then vorlauf.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:32:00 pm »
I have a pump to recirculate (vorlauf) and I do that with my sparge just long enough that its running clear. Usually thats 5 to ten minutes.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:47:10 pm »
Beauty of batch sparging.  Dump hot ~190-degree water in, stir well, vorlauf and drain immediately.  No wait time necessary.  Zero advantages and a waste of time to wait.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »
I let mine sit for 5 or 10 minutes out of convenience.  I use this time dumping out any remaining water from the kettle and dumping in my first runnings.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:47:06 pm »
Stir well and vorlauf and let it rip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:50:18 am »
I let mine sit for 5 or 10 minutes out of convenience.  I use this time dumping out any remaining water from the kettle and dumping in my first runnings.

Steve,
Are you concerned with hot-side aeration when you are dumping in your first runnings?

The reason I ask is I've often thought that doing it that way would allow me to begin my boil while the sparge is running thereby saving time on my brew day. But, I like to err on the safe side. If it could have a adverse effect on the final product, I don't want to take the chance.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:18:49 am »

Steve,
Are you concerned with hot-side aeration when you are dumping in your first runnings?

The reason I ask is I've often thought that doing it that way would allow me to begin my boil while the sparge is running thereby saving time on my brew day. But, I like to err on the safe side. If it could have a adverse effect on the final product, I don't want to take the chance.
Been doing it for 7 years. I haven't noticed an issue. Sure I would like to sparge directly into the kettle, but my current equipment and space does not allow for it. I brewed at a club brew day a few months back and the old-timers freaked out when I did it. I could siphon from the bucket into the kettle I guess, but I don't have a ledge high enough for that and I hate cleaning stuff.

Give it a try sometime.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 08:28:03 am »
HSA risks have been way overstated at the home level IMO.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:42:25 am »
Is it necessary to hold the sparge water in the mash tun for 30 minutes? Can I simply add the necessary amount of water and drain?

Absolutely not necessary.  Conversion is done at that point so you gain nothing.  I stir in sparge water, vorlauf, and run off immediately.  Where did you hear you had to rest it 30 min.?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:08:31 am »

Absolutely not necessary.  Conversion is done at that point so you gain nothing.  I stir in sparge water, vorlauf, and run off immediately. 

That also gives you wort that is warmer and quicker to get up to a boil.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »

Absolutely not necessary.  Conversion is done at that point so you gain nothing.  I stir in sparge water, vorlauf, and run off immediately.  Where did you hear you had to rest it 30 min.?

+1  five min total time.

Also not to worry on HSA IMO too
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline thebottlefarm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 11:39:54 am »
I find I get a bit of a better run off if after adding sparge water and stiring, I let it sit 10 minutes or so to settle. If I add it, mix, and vorlauf immediately I have gotten stuck / slow run off's. I'm not really sure what specifically is happening while the bed settles. If I'm imagining things. I aslo assume this would improve my efficiency. I understand conversion is done, but I would think that you are giving more exposure of less dilute solution to the grain, allowing more sugars to be released. However I've never done side by side gravity checks to see if I'm getting different efficiency.
I think next time I'll give the old dump, stir, vorlauf, dump a try, and see how it compares to my measured effiencies in the past.
AO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:24 am »
I find I get a bit of a better run off if after adding sparge water and stiring, I let it sit 10 minutes or so to settle. If I add it, mix, and vorlauf immediately I have gotten stuck / slow run off's. I'm not really sure what specifically is happening while the bed settles. If I'm imagining things. I aslo assume this would improve my efficiency. I understand conversion is done, but I would think that you are giving more exposure of less dilute solution to the grain, allowing more sugars to be released. However I've never done side by side gravity checks to see if I'm getting different efficiency.
I think next time I'll give the old dump, stir, vorlauf, dump a try, and see how it compares to my measured effiencies in the past.
AO

Try starting your run off with the valve just barely cracked.  That helps set the grainbed with compacting it.  After vorlauf I go ahead and open the valve full.  Never had a stuck runoff for 471 batches!  I have never seen any increase in extraction due to letting the sparge water sit, assuming full conversion before.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 11:48:45 am »
AO

FWIW-when i first performed the batch sparge, i used to let it rest after mixing for 10-15 minutes (because i thought i had to). I don't do this any longer, because it made no difference in my efficiency vs. adding strike water, stirring well and draining immediately.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: