Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jim Koch has a problem....  (Read 8959 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Jim Koch has a problem....
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »
did no one else find this over-the-top dickish?  What are the "unworthy" beers and why, and why should he decide what is worthy anyway?
My question is: is this how he acts all the time? For what it's worth I've never heard other reports like this about him. Is it possible that he was having a really bad day for one reason or another? Haven't we all acted dick-ish once in awhile?

I am curious about that as well. I saw a documentary a couple of years ago and he didn't come off looking too good in my opinion and he kind of had a 'dickish' vibe. Maybe the filmmaker portrayed him incorrectly...I can't really say.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »
did no one else find this over-the-top dickish?  What are the "unworthy" beers and why, and why should he decide what is worthy anyway?
My question is: is this how he acts all the time? For what it's worth I've never heard other reports like this about him. Is it possible that he was having a really bad day for one reason or another? Haven't we all acted dick-ish once in awhile?

I'm FAIRLY certain I didn't say "FTG; he's a dick."  His behavior in this instance, however, seems to deserve that descriptor, no?...

For the record I don't find his overall persona to be dickish, but regardless I don't find it relevant here.  I'm confused by the point he was trying to make by acting such.  I actually find it unlikely that he actually said "not worthy" - and I wish the owner had had a conversation with Harvard MBA/Billionaire Koch about owning a small business and having beer that will sell, and at profit.  The idea of a guy whose beer seems to be everywhere whining about not being in a small craft beer bar doesn't make sense to me.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Stevie

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »

I'm FAIRLY certain I didn't say "FTG; he's a dick."  His behavior in this instance, however, seems to deserve that descriptor, no?...

For the record I don't find his overall persona to be dickish, but regardless I don't find it relevant here.  I'm confused by the point he was trying to make by acting such.  I actually find it unlikely that he actually said "not worthy" - and I wish the owner had had a conversation with Harvard MBA/Billionaire Koch about owning a small business and having beer that will sell, and at profit.  The idea of a guy whose beer seems to be everywhere whining about not being in a small craft beer bar doesn't make sense to me.

cheers--
--Michael
I don't think that was a jab towards you, more a question to how Koch behaves normally.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

cheers--
--Michael
I don't think that was a jab towards you, more a question to how Koch behaves normally.

yeah I'm on edge.  Probably so; my bad.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 06:08:46 pm »
Haven't we all acted dick-ish once in awhile?

Yes, but thankfully not all at the same time.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
Jim Koch has a problem....
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »
I wonder how accurate that article is? Could Koch have been a cock? Could Koch have asked and been invited into the beer cooler? Could the bartender have just been a big nancy pants that cries at the movie Twilight? Could Koch have had too many and went on a tirade?

Maybe yes to all, maybe no to all. Either way, I think Koch needs to take it as a compliment for building such an empire or rethink where he wants to be in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2015, 06:21:09 am »
That just made me think that the pressure is probably worse from the other end. Many of those places that were "mostly AB products but we'll through in a Sam Adams BL and seasonal tap for variety" don't need Sam Adams after the InBev buyout because InBev brought all of these European brands to the lineup. Add in local brands they've purchased like Goose Island and an AB (I mean InBev) only bar can have a pretty diverse selection.

Can you have a bar that sells only InBev products?  Sounds like the old tied house model, which I thought you couldn't do anymore.  But I have not researched this and could be entirely wrong.
Hmm. Good question - but I've seen it so the answer must be yes. In Delaware I heard that Iron Hill can't open more locations (they have two) due to limits on the number of bars a brewery can have. But that's ownership not what is served.

That makes a lot of sense and as I thought about it, I believe the tied-house system was brewery ownership of bars, which then served only the brewery products.  Some of these old buildings still exist in Chicago as bars (some are restaurants).  Typically, the front has Schlitz or something emblazoned on the building.  The buildings themselves are quite attractive.

Michigan had the same law restricting brewpub ownership. One way around that was to have a brewpub and a production brewing facility, with the licenses under another name (the spouse). Recently the law was changed so that 5 brewpubs can be owned with a combined sales of 15k bbl/year, which is very high (the biggest in MI sells <2k bbl/year). Other regulations were changed in the bill(s), as a production brewery can self distribute if less than 1000 bbl/year.

Joe, I admire that nice looking brick building with the Schlitz sign every time I go to the Map Room.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:16 am »
Joe, I admire that nice looking brick building with the Schlitz sign every time I go to the Map Room.

Yep, that's one of them.  I think Fitzgerald's on Fullerton is also an old tied-house.

In the late 90's there was a push to landmark them so they couldn't be torn down, but I don't recall if that was approved or not.  If it made it to City Council, which I think it did, I'm sure it was approved.

No one builds storefronts like those anymore. 

Back on topic, sort of, I've attempted twice this week to convince myself to buy some Sam Adam's when I've been at the grocery store simply on account of spending too much time on this thread.  I just couldn't do it.  The seasonal mix-pack looks interesting, but I know there's beer in there I won't drink and it will just take up space in the fridge.  I also considered the Folly Pack, but it's the same thing.  The curse of mixed twelve packs. 

If the Sam Adams barrel series were easily available, I'd try those.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 08:10:49 am »

+1.  I agree on the mixed 12 packs - not worth the $ if you don't want to drink half of it.  I really think if Koch wants to be perceived as having better beer, he'd drop a bunch of the fluff in the mixed packs and sell 4 (or 6) packs of their much better barrel series, instead of mini bombers only. Several of those are actually really good. You can call yourself a Porsche dealer, but it doesn't make it so if all you sell are Fords.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 03:44:53 pm »
Haven't we all acted dick-ish once in awhile?

Me? Never.

You're from the north side of Chicago? Of course you have. :)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 03:50:31 pm »

Exactly. Jim's behavior in this instance was quite dickish.
I for one can't throw the first stone here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:06:56 pm by dbeechum »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2015, 07:23:07 am »
In all due respect I wonder if he was planning on going to the bar, have a pint or two of SA and then be able to talk up the beers and brewery. Think about, he is the PR person and face of SA and probably takes whatever opportunity to talk up his products, granted he could have handled the situation differently. He probably also drinks BL or other SA beers while out as part of quality control. I am sure he if he ordered a SA BL and it was served to him in a bud light glass he would say something, especially if the bar has SA glasses on hand. Would you invite him over for dinner and not have any SA in the house to offer him? I am sure he would love to try a homebrew but would also like one of his own so he can talk about it.

If I am out at a restaurant or package store and not interested in what they have or not in the mode for something new SA is my stand by and go to beer.

just my 2 cents

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2015, 07:46:21 am »

Back on topic, sort of, I've attempted twice this week to convince myself to buy some Sam Adam's when I've been at the grocery store simply on account of spending too much time on this thread.  I just couldn't do it.  The seasonal mix-pack looks interesting, but I know there's beer in there I won't drink and it will just take up space in the fridge.  I also considered the Folly Pack, but it's the same thing.  The curse of mixed twelve packs. 

In the same boat. Not ever going to buy one of the mix-cases. I will buy the Oktoberfest when it comes out, and I like the Noble Pils and a few other beers they brew. I even like the Boston Lager on occasion.

The mix cases must sell pretty well though because I see the pallets disappear at the Costco.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2015, 07:58:54 am »
Once when brewer moves from bottle store to Costco they attract different customer at different price point.

May be he should have gone to Applebee's or Famous Dave's. 
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:17 am »
Once when brewer moves from bottle store to Costco they attract different customer at different price point.

May be he should have gone to Applebee's or Famous Dave's.

trust me when I say that Craplebee's is one of the last places on Earth I'd ever entertain eating at but $20 says they have SA on draft there. Just sayin'.