Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ventilation for Indoor Brewing  (Read 19480 times)

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
Ventilation for Indoor Brewing
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:11:12 am »
Hi Everyone!  I'm looking to convert to electric so I can brew in my basement during the cold winter months in Wisconsin.  The concern is how to properly vent the steam/moisture.  I'm thinking a vent hood of some kind that I can connect to an old dryer vent that's no longer in use.  Any Tips or suggestions would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Ventilation for Indoor Brewing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:18:08 am »
You didn't say how big your system would be. What you propose may work.  You will also need to open a window or door in the basement so you don't suck heated air out of the house and to provide sufficient flow.  The part of brewing that causes the most steam for me is the cooling because I let most of the hot water run on the floor into the floor drain and I have turned the exhaust off because my natural gas burners off.  I should probably buy a hose to connect my immersion cooler to a drain.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:14 am »
Download the 2010 Presentation from John Blichmann on Setting up Your Home Brewery:

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2010/Tips___Tricks_to_Setting_Up_Your_Own_Homebrewery-Blichmann.pdf

Lots of good stuff in there about ventilation sizing, equipment, and installation.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:46 am »
You will also need to open a window or door in the basement so you don't suck heated air out of the house and to provide sufficient flow.

This is very important if you have a gas water heater or furnace nearby. Without a source of fresh air, air will be drawn down the chimney and could knockout your pilot light. Modern equipment should shut the gas off, so there is minimal worry of a gas leak, but a cold shower is a crappy way to discover the pilot light went out.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:38:01 pm »
This is what I created. 6" blower, plexiglass, and wood. The plexiglass lets in light from the overhead light so I can see in the kettle better. All electric brewing system.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »
Martin, you are such an underachiever... not!

That is really nice!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »
Hi guys.  Thanks for the responses.  I'm only looking to brew partial mash / extract in the basement right now.  I really enjoy brewing outside when the weather allows.  This would be to satisfy the "brew itch" when I can't be outside.  So a single pot electric setup is the goal for now.  I'm planning to set up ventilation to handle bigger systems in the future.  Or at least be easily expanded/upgraded.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:44:17 pm »
One thing I would do differently is I would only build my hood big enough to cover the boil kettle.  The mash tun and HLT are just non issues.  I used foam board from home depot screwed to a 1×2 frame.  Vortex fan connects to a removable vent that snaps in place on my basement window.  No permanent ventilation mods for resale purpose. 

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:50:54 pm »
The bigger the opening, the more volume (bigger fan) you will need to draw the air up.

For the electric system you are looking at, a standard overn hood that is vented outside should work well.  You may wish to bump up the fan size on a standard kitchen fan.... if you go with one of the big gormet oven hoods, you will have plety of draw, but a lot of those are 6" duct rather than the 4" duct you have with the dryer.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
Ya tease, Martin! Show us the rest of what you got going on down there! hehe
Jesse

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:15:46 am »
Range hoods also usually have variable speed fans and some sort of task lighting built in. Maybe find one at a scratch-and-dent sale?

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:05:51 pm »
This is what I created. 6" blower, plexiglass, and wood. The plexiglass lets in light from the overhead light so I can see in the kettle better. All electric brewing system.

Martin, thanks for posting as I was struggling with what to do for a vent hood.  Didn't think about seeing into the kettles so your solution makes sense?

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Ventilation for Indoor Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 05:50:51 am »
Having toured Martin's brewery in person, I can tell you I approve of his hood design and implementation.

Fwiw, here's the double-capacity hood I found at a Sears refurb outlet:

And here's the hole I cut in the side of my house to install it #goodtimes:

As you can tell, I decided to adapt the rectangular hood outlet to circular pipe and then back to rectangular for the vent to the outside. Might have reduced the capacity, but the circular pipe was easier to manage because the hood and vent couldn't be aligned perfectly.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 09:23:37 am »
How well does she pull the steam out?  I'm looking for one in the garage to keep the steam and Odors at bay and to brew in comfort in the winter with no doors open, 

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:21 am »
Does a great job on the steam. My family members can still detect a hint of wort aroma on brew day, though.