Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbing and Serving at different temps  (Read 1232 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Carbing and Serving at different temps
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:41:27 pm »
I like to serve around 45-50f but I noticed beers take a lot longer to carb up at this temp. When I tried to carb up in the 30s then warm it up to serve I had foaming problems. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Carbing and Serving at different temps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:50:50 pm »
While CO2 does dissolve easier at cooler temps, it shouldn't take longer if you bump up your CO2 pressure. I assume you use a pressure/temp chart - if not, here's a good one  :  http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Remember that you'll be mostly carbed at a week, but not fully carbed until 2-3 weeks.

Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Carb for a shorter period of time and allow the keg to set at temp and serving pressure for a day or two before pouring.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:18:06 pm »
Ah, I always thought 1week was normal - I'm at 6 days now and lightly carbed. I'll have to be patient.

Yea I use a chart, had pressure set to 16psi at 45f (saison)

Allowing it to set makes sense too

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:26:59 pm »
Ah, I always thought 1week was normal - I'm at 6 days now and lightly carbed. I'll have to be patient.

Yea I use a chart, had pressure set to 16psi at 45f (saison)

Allowing it to set makes sense too

Also, I like to spray Starsan around the lid seal and PRV, as well as the QDs when I pressurize the keg, to check for small leaks. A small pinhole leak = a keg that won't reach or keep the carbonation you want.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:32:08 pm »
Carb for a shorter period of time and allow the keg to set at temp and serving pressure for a day or two before pouring.
Yup. Lately, I put fresh kegs in my lagering chest freezer till theres an opening. I carb by hitting it with 30 psi once a day for about 5 or six days. When I put them in the kegerator I release the PRV and attach the serving CO2. Give it a day and stsrt pouring. Works fine.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:58:50 am »
Yup. Lately, I put fresh kegs in my lagering chest freezer till theres an opening. I carb by hitting it with 30 psi once a day for about 5 or six days. When I put them in the kegerator I release the PRV and attach the serving CO2. Give it a day and stsrt pouring. Works fine.

Hmm so you don't leave the gas hooked up? Just a quick dose at 30psi then disconnect for the day?