Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% pils malt. Too light?  (Read 10396 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 100% pils malt. Too light?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 06:48:12 am »
I almost never go 100 percent Pilsner malt unless decocting.  I will do 16 pounds of Pilsner 1 pound of Carafoam and then decoct for a helles, but my run of the mill lagers use a pound of Munich and sometimes Melanoiden - up to a half pound - but those are 10 gallon batches.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 10:29:15 am »
Here is the complete recipe. This is my second attempt at a lager but as mentioned earlier I am not necessarily using any style guidelines. I am trying to sneak in a bit of hop flavor and aroma but not so much that the wife won't drink it. She won't touch anything close to hoppy...

83% pils
15% vienna
2% melanoidin

14 g Sterling FWH
10 g sterling / 20 g crystal 5 min
10 g sterling / 20 g crystal dry hop

W34/70

22 IBU
4 SRM
That looks like a nice recipe.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »
I brewed this today. Everything went great EXCEPT my efficiency was about 10 points less than what I have been getting since I have started treating my water. My mash temp was 152F for 60 min and my mash pH was 5.36. The only thing I can think of is that I got short changed on grain since I didn't weigh it myself or doublecheck the weight. It will still be good just a bit light in the alcohol category...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 06:16:39 pm »
I know this is a little late, but here is my picture of 100 percent planet malt.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 07:48:23 pm »
Here's a repost of pic of my first pilsner. It was 100% Avangard pilsner malt, bottle conditioned, no finings and has only been lagering for 2 weeks:

Just the end of a glass, after settling a bit and warming up. It was a bit cloudy upon pour gently but settled nicely. Very light in color but that's fine with me
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:22 pm »
The original pour:
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 08:43:06 am »
Thanks for the pics. My wheat beer which was causing my concern for such a light SRM rating has clarified and gave me a better idea. Before it clarified, it was murky straw and very ugly. It is now brilliant straw/yellow.

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 09:21:15 pm »
Thanks for the pics. My wheat beer which was causing my concern for such a light SRM rating has clarified and gave me a better idea. Before it clarified, it was murky straw and very ugly. It is now brilliant straw/yellow.

I seem to be having a similar problem.

I brewed a rye 3 weeks ago that is about 50% 2-row, 25% rye, and then some honey and a pound of flaked wheat. Estimated SRM was just shy of 4 but the current appearance is like SRM 1. It currently looks, as you described your wheat, like dirty dish water.

Hopefully it will look better when the yeast drops and it clarifies.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 11:24:32 pm »

I seem to be having a similar problem.

I brewed a rye 3 weeks ago that is about 50% 2-row, 25% rye, and then some honey and a pound of flaked wheat. Estimated SRM was just shy of 4 but the current appearance is like SRM 1. It currently looks, as you described your wheat, like dirty dish water.

Hopefully it will look better when the yeast drops and it clarifies.

It will be fine when it clarifies. My wheat is now crystal clear and basically a brilliant straw yellow. The cloudy samples were extremely deceiving. After all of the feedback and brewing a lot of light beers lately I am not worried about the 100% pils beer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:27:21 pm by goschman »

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 06:54:21 am »
Thanks goschman.

It's still in the carboy, but with the yeast dropping out it now appears to be very light orange instead of milky white. Going to hit it with gelatin tonight and keg it early next week. It will probably be about 3 SRM in the glass.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18:17 am »
Frank- That looks like a chill haze to me.  You want to get the beer as cold as possible before you hit it with finings. 

Also, don't forget your whirlfloc and quick cooling from flameout to pitching temp.  The more cold break you get out at that point, the clearer your beer will be.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/clarifying_homebrew

HTH-
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:26:58 am by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline 69franx

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 04:18:18 pm »
Frank- That looks like a chill haze to me.  You want to get the beer as cold as possible before you hit it with finings. 

Also, don't forget your whirlfloc and quick cooling from flameout to pitching temp.  The more cold break you get out at that point, the clearer your beer will be.

http://www.morebeer.com/articles/clarifying_homebrew

HTH-
Steve, if that's for me (Frank), I used no finings,  so in the end, I am pretty happy with my clarity. I do bottle condition so that comes with some compromises as far as clarity goes.  It's tasty and I am 3 weeks into lagering the second batch now. New batch is a little clearer, probably the extra lagering time. We will see in another week or 2 when I really start serving it
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2015, 04:19:29 pm »
Also, I did use Irish moss and Coool as quickly as my IC allows. I know it's not perfect for the batches I make now, but will be upgrading the IC soon
Frank L.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2015, 11:24:33 pm »
Franx- Good deal.  I'm sure it IS tasty.  Love me some good Pils anytime.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:57 am »
Got a blue ribbon for this beer though I am not sure what my score was yet. They switched to the 2015 guidelines at the last minute so I entered it as an international pale lager instead of an american premium lager. I can't find the thread where I was asking for style help but thanks to those that helped me.