Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop vs post boil  (Read 3883 times)

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
Dry hop vs post boil
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:57:34 pm »
Hey,
Am new and trying to learn.  I've been reading the "hops" book part of the brew series & recall reading a section discussing post boil vs dry hopping..  if I go with a post boil hop add (vice dry hop) i.e. I put in my dry hop add post boil (before cooling) say for 30 minutes, what (if any) impact would this have on bittering effects of the hops I added at 60 minute aka beginning of boils?  Thanks in advance...
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline BrewHalla

• Cellarman
Re: Dry hop vs post boil
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:48:45 pm »
Your question is a bit tough to understand. If you are asking what the bittering effects of adding hops at flame out or into secondary, the effects are negligible.you will just be adding hop aroma.as far as letting the wort sit for 30 minutes before cooling I think a mistake in my opinion. My experience is you want to cool below 100 in under 20 minutes else you are going to unfavorable compounds to form in the wort.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:04:41 pm »
Not always, or not always a noticeable amount. I just recently got into whirlpool hops. Love it! I chill to about 175-180 and add those hops, then let them sit 15-20 min. But I don't have the courage to try that with a pils malt wort.

Offline rphcpa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »
Not always, or not always a noticeable amount. I just recently got into whirlpool hops. Love it! I chill to about 175-180 and add those hops, then let them sit 15-20 min. But I don't have the courage to try that with a pils malt wort.
just curious..why not with pils malt wort?

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »
Similar to Jim I've become a big fan of the hop stand. In my case I cool to 170f and let them sit for an hour or so. Hell one night I went out to dinner and just let em hang. So far I like a hop stand of around ½ oz/gallon and two ½ oz/gallon dry hop additions (once towards the end of primary and again in the keg) most for hop forward brews. No negative effects yet that I can detect from a slow chill. Letting the hops sit at warmer temperatures, as in just after boil, will result in more bitterness for sure.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:56:26 pm »
Jim, I've been adding my hops at 175 and continuing to whirlpool and chill till it's down as far as it will go. Then I don't have to worry about the SMS or DMS thingies. The water's warming up now, so it's taking about 20 minutes. I'm getting good aroma and flavor from this technique.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:18:44 pm »
just curious..why not with pils malt wort?
Because it's still producing DMS but no rolling boil to drive it off

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 11:24:47 pm »
Jim, I've been adding my hops at 175 and continuing to whirlpool and chill till it's down as far as it will go. Then I don't have to worry about the SMS or DMS thingies. The water's warming up now, so it's taking about 20 minutes. I'm getting good aroma and flavor from this technique.
Right on. Good to know

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 05:21:47 am »
As for the DMS thing, I've done whirlpool hopping with a pils base and get no DMS.  But I always boil pils for 90 minutes, so by that point the DMS is driven off. I'm pretty sensitive to DMS and can't find any.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 05:33:52 am »
As for the DMS thing, I've done whirlpool hopping with a pils base and get no DMS.  But I always boil pils for 90 minutes, so by that point the DMS is driven off. I'm pretty sensitive to DMS and can't find any.
So, my next brew day is a pair of Saisons. Clam free so im also leaving out wheat to make them "innovative". I was planning on 2 oz of Mittelfruh at 10 min. 90 min boil with 100% GW pils. I had contemplated doing the Mittelfruh at 170ish for about 20 minutes. What differences would it make do you think?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 05:47:06 am »
So, my next brew day is a pair of Saisons. Clam free so im also leaving out wheat to make them "innovative". I was planning on 2 oz of Mittelfruh at 10 min. 90 min boil with 100% GW pils. I had contemplated doing the Mittelfruh at 170ish for about 20 minutes. What differences would it make do you think?

I'm all in on the 'clam free'.  I think the flavor is just a little better in the steep, and the aroma that comes with it is a little better and longer lasting IMO. 15 -20 minutes ought to work great there.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 06:02:50 am »
Ok, since im doing two, I'll do one at 10 min and one at wp.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 07:49:46 am »

Not sure I agree with this statement.  You boil Pils malt longer to drive off all of the DMS.  Once it's out, it's out.  It doesn't keep producing in perpetuity.
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 07:52:08 am »

Not sure I agree with this statement.  You boil Pils malt longer to drive off all of the DMS.  Once it's out, it's out.  It doesn't keep producing in perpetuity.

+1
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 02:37:42 pm »
I rarely dry hop because I've been happy with the whirlpool hops. No problems with DMS and I brew a lot with pils.

One of these days I'm going to brew side by side with whirlpool vs. dry hop and see how far apart they are. Hasn't somebody else already done that?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing