Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blondie's Ale  (Read 3615 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Blondie's Ale
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
Have been trying to come up with a simple light beer for my dad who is not much of a craft beer drinker. He prefers his lite American lagers but I don't have the capability to produce lagers. So I came up with a light ale that hopefully isn't too complex let me know what you think.

5 Gal. Batch
-8lbs. Briess 2-row
-.3lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt
-.2lbs. Biscuit Malt
- 1oz Willamette 60min.
-East Coast Ale WLP008

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.012
IBU: 18.7
SRM: 6.55
ABV: 4.2%
EFF: 70%

Any suggestions?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Blondie's Ale
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 01:17:34 pm »
Beautiful.  Gorgeous.  Brew it.  Don't change a thing.

8)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:31:54 am »
Looks good to me as well. You could even use pilsner malt instead of two row if you like.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:43:51 am »
Looks good to me as well. You could even use pilsner malt instead of two row if you like.

+1 my only thought also if you wanted to.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:49:54 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll probably stick with the 2-row just because that's what I have on hand. Also LHBS might not have WLP008 so I was thinking WLP001 instead. Any thoughts?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:00 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll probably stick with the 2-row just because that's what I have on hand. Also LHBS might not have WLP008 so I was thinking WLP001 instead. Any thoughts?

Never used WLP008 but I don't think you can go wrong with 001 for a beer like this.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

It'd work fine - just ferment cool. I use 1056 for cream ale at 60F and it works great.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:59 pm »
Can't go wrong with WLP001.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:00:19 am »

Recipe looks solid. I'm a huge fan of WLP029 for crisp, clean lager-like ale. I actually use it to make lager styles, some of which have won awards.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »
Update: Just brewed this one yesterday was a good brew day. Bottled a experimental 1 gal Lite Lager and a brewed up this beauty Only change was the WLP001 instead of WLP008. Efficiency was a little off got a starting gravity of 1.042 instead of 1.045. To adjust that should I adjust my Final gravity. It looks like it turned out a little darker than anticipated but I think it will lighten up a bit once it settles out in the secondary. Ill keep you guys posted!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:40:33 am »
I think the honey malt is what turned it darker. I made the mistake and put 6% into an american wheat last time and it was just a tad lighter than an all extract wheat beer. 4% in a delicate beer like yours is probably still a little much, in terms of color. Maybe 2-3% imo. It should still be very tasty  8)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 09:46:11 am »
I think the honey malt is what turned it darker. I made the mistake and put 6% into an american wheat last time and it was just a tad lighter than an all extract wheat beer. 4% in a delicate beer like yours is probably still a little much, in terms of color. Maybe 2-3% imo. It should still be very tasty  8)

I think 3.5% from the original recipe should be okay but I agree that once you get over 5% in a light beer it can become too much. I do one that has 7% and will be backing that down to 5% next attempt. It actually worked okay because I have some tartness from other ingredients that balances out the malty sweetness.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 08:11:10 pm »
Just wanted to update everyone on how this beer went. Just cracked a bottle open after work and it was amazing. The honey malt and the biscuit malt blended perfectly to provide a sweet light bready flavor. The hops balance everything perfectly toning down the sweetness. I definitely will be brewing this one again. I like how the WLP001 turned out very clean but I still want to try it with the WLP008 sometime. Cheers!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:00:31 am »
Good to hear. Looks like a solid beer!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:30:53 am »
Just wanted to update everyone on how this beer went. Just cracked a bottle open after work and it was amazing. The honey malt and the biscuit malt blended perfectly to provide a sweet light bready flavor. The hops balance everything perfectly toning down the sweetness. I definitely will be brewing this one again. I like how the WLP001 turned out very clean but I still want to try it with the WLP008 sometime. Cheers!
This is great to hear. I liked the recipe and made it myself. Its been in bottles for about 5 days now, and the intention is that this will be our RV trip beer, and that trip starts a week from today, so fingers crossed. I also used SO5 for my yeast and harvested for the first time. This will be a great yeast builder for almost everything I like to make. Thanks for posting and I will post my thoughts after tasting it myself
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)