Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech Dark Lager  (Read 8980 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Czech Dark Lager
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »
In theory, just capping the mash after first runoff combined with sparge as soon as mixed in should cause no problems. At least from what I think I've read on here, but no personal experience
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 01:03:51 pm »
In theory, just capping the mash after first runoff combined with sparge as soon as mixed in should cause no problems. At least from what I think I've read on here, but no personal experience

yep conversion complete so no issues. if you want, you can check for reference the measured PH before and after , just so you know what PH ends up in the kettle.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:29 am »
Ended up going with about 54% Pils, 34% Dark Munich, 10% Caramunich III, and 2% carafa III.

Just tapped it a couple days ago and its very smooth and malty rich. The color is a little light probably because I didn't add the carafa til the last 10 min of the mash? Its more of a dark reddish brown than the black reddish hue is was going for but I can correct that next time.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 09:47:18 am »
Ended up going with about 54% Pils, 34% Dark Munich, 10% Caramunich III, and 2% carafa III.

Just tapped it a couple days ago and its very smooth and malty rich. The color is a little light probably because I didn't add the carafa til the last 10 min of the mash? Its more of a dark reddish brown than the black reddish hue is was going for but I can correct that next time.

Sounds tasty! I'm planning on stopping at Thirsty Monk's to drink his dark larger next week. Something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
Kyle M.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 11:15:36 am »

Sounds tasty! I'm planning on stopping at Thirsty Monk's to drink his dark larger next week. Something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
I compared his to mine and it has a bit more roast flavor and darker than mine. Very good beer just like all his others.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
Gordon has one in his new book.  Recipe looks good!

Offline seyahmit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »
There was a nice presentation on CDLs at NHC. You can download the presentation slide show and get the recipes if you are interested. The beers they poured were fantastic!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 12:51:13 pm »
That's a lager style I haven't brewed before. I may need to brew one this fall.
Jon H.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 03:12:44 pm »
There was a nice presentation on CDLs at NHC. You can download the presentation slide show and get the recipes if you are interested. The beers they poured were fantastic!
Yes, I listened to it and took notes. Very good presentation with lots of good info.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 06:09:27 pm »

Let me know when are you going to be around. I would like to meet you and show you around.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 06:12:50 pm »

I compared his to mine and it has a bit more roast flavor and darker than mine. Very good beer just like all his others.

You are correct. Challenge is to have it dark enough without the roasty notes. Glad it turned out great.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 05:45:09 am »

You are correct. Challenge is to have it dark enough without the roasty notes. Glad it turned out great.

I'll bring some to the next meeting if I can make it last til Aug 3rd. I'm already tinkering with my next recipe, a little more Caramunich and Carafa.

Offline seyahmit

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:43 am »
Any thoughts on using Briess Blackprinz instead of carafa for color? It should contribute less roast character since it in completely husk less instead of debittered.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 08:57:24 am »
FWIW, Midnight Wheat gives the least roast character of all the black malts. Good stuff for when you want roast kept to a minimum.
Jon H.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:32 am »
I used Weyermann Dehusked Carafa III for this recipe but I've used Black Prince as well as Midnight Wheat in a couple Dunkels and I thought they pretty much gave the same results in low doses like 2% of the grist.