Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Czech Dark Lager  (Read 8977 times)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
Czech Dark Lager
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:19 am »
Anyone got a good recipe? I can't find much info but I think the style falls somewhere between a Dunkel and Schwartz? This is what I've come up with so far.
50% pilsner
40% dark Munich
6% caramunich III
4% carafa II
25-30 IBU saaz
WY 2000

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Czech Dark Lager
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:26 am »
Where's that Lazy Monk at? I know he makes a great one.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:25 am »
I've got a really good one. I will post it when I get home.
Kyle M.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:18:37 pm »

Anyone got a good recipe? I can't find much info but I think the style falls somewhere between a Dunkel and Schwartz? This is what I've come up with so far.
50% pilsner
40% dark Munich
6% caramunich III
4% carafa II
25-30 IBU saaz
WY 2000

Search for bohemian dunkel and you will find great article.

You need a o have more caramunich and about 24 IBU. You can use hellertau if you want smother beer.

Otherwise your recipe is in the ball park.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:01:28 am »

50% pilsner
40% dark Munich
6% caramunich III
4% carafa II
25-30 IBU saaz
WY 2000

Search for bohemian dunkel and you will find great article.

You need a o have more caramunich and about 24 IBU. You can use hellertau if you want smother beer.

Otherwise your recipe is in the ball park.
Thanks Thirsty Monk. I was going to ask you about this the other night at the meeting but you took off early.

I read an article in an old Zymurgy that had a recipe for U Flecku where they use 15% caramunich, seems kind a high, what percent do you like in yours? I'm thinking of upping mine to 10%.

Also wondering about hop flavor and aroma, sounds like the style is all over the place. What would you recommend? Thanks

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 07:12:25 am »
This is high on my list of styles I've never made that I want to brew, probably pitch some 800 slurry. Sounds great!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 07:39:53 am »
I would like to try something like this soon as well. I assume the saaz hops are pretty key to this style. Out of curiosity are there any possible substitutes or would I be better off brewing a normal dunkel?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:27 am »
This is high on my list of styles I've never made that I want to brew, probably pitch some 800 slurry. Sounds great!
Yeah, I was on a Munich Dunkel kick for awhile but this Czech Dark Lager style sounds really good. I have a Red X lager planned this weekend but I may have to hold off and brew this.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:44:53 am »
Yeah, I was on a Munich Dunkel kick for awhile but this Czech Dark Lager style sounds really good. I have a Red X lager planned this weekend but I may have to hold off and brew this.

Sounds delish! I have my 2nd lager finishing up now which I am very excited about. My first was a schwarzbier which turned out amazingly good. I may have to hold off on more lagers until the Fall with warmer temps coming. Not sure my converted son of fermentation will perform as well as it needs to for lagers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:46:36 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:50:08 am »
Dang, I forgot to post my recipe. Still not around it, but here's an approximation. I use around 10%-15% Weyermann Cara-Bohemian in mine. 20% Munich, and the rest is Pils.

20 IBUs of something Nobleish to bitter, and another 5 ibus of something nobelish at 15 minutes. The hops I have used are Mt. Hood, Santium, Perle, and Saaz, and this tends to be a one hop brew for me. I have also only done FWH on this, and that has been excellent. Mt. Hood was my favorite for this.

Yeast is usually WY 2278. 34/70 was good too. Wish I had this going right now. It is usually my spring brew.
Kyle M.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 08:18:14 am »
Dang, I forgot to post my recipe. Still not around it, but here's an approximation. I use around 10%-15% Weyermann Cara-Bohemian in mine. 20% Munich, and the rest is Pils.

20 IBUs of something Nobleish to bitter, and another 5 ibus of something nobelish at 15 minutes. The hops I have used are Mt. Hood, Santium, Perle, and Saaz, and this tends to be a one hop brew for me. I have also only done FWH on this, and that has been excellent. Mt. Hood was my favorite for this.

Yeast is usually WY 2278. 34/70 was good too. Wish I had this going right now. It is usually my spring brew.
This looks like an awesome brew, added to the list of what I would like to brew. Now its just when to find the time.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 10:26:55 am »

Looks nice, any carafa for color?

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Yes! Carafa III. Like 6 ounces added at sparge.
Kyle M.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 11:27:40 am »
That looks to make a huge difference. Without the Carafa III, beersmith had me at 13.5SRM, but with it, I am at a nice 24SRM. Thanks for the tip, hope to make this sometime in the near future
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 12:00:42 pm »
I'm going to have to try that technique or try adding late in the mash. I'm just not sure how it would effect the PH?